PDA

View Full Version : 2500pt WoC lists for thoughts and critisism

Ap_Time
02-08-2011, 05:38
Just to warn you, this is a big post!

Alright, so to preface, the lists below (as with mose of my lists) are somewhat unconventional. They are themed, specifically they all feature a large number of chaos ogres. There are still warrior blocks, of course, but I have built the lists with the mindset that the ogres will be the main damage output. I have chosen ogres as:

a) They are not stupid, like trolls, which means they do not need to be babysat, which is very important when they make up a large chunk of the list.
b) They can get chaos armour and great weapons, making them more durable than other choices, and they hit at Str6.

That being said, why run a large number of monstrous infantry at all? Because i like them, mainly. More interesting to paint and model than rank and file. At any rate, on to the lists.

LIST ONE

-------------------------
List one is the most outlandish, featuring a monstrous horde of 18 ogres. Other than that, we have two blocks of chaos warriors, shields and MoT for maximum durability. Not a very strong magic presence, only a lvl2 sorcerer, with a daemonic mount for theme, not really for in-game significance. The main issue I can see is manouverability, there are two smaller ogre units for warmachine hunting.

Heroes

Chaos Sorcerer, lvl 2, Mark of Tzeentch, Daemonic mount
Exalted Hero, Crown of Command, Shield, Mark of Tzeentch
Exalted Hero, BSB, Shield, Mark of Tzeentch

Core

19 Chaos Warriors, Shields, Mark of Tzeentch, Full command, Rapturous Standard (BSB)
19 Chaos Warriors, Shields, Mark of Tzeentch, Full command (General)

Special

18 Ogres, Chaos Armour, Great Weapons, Musician, Banner
3 Ogres
3 Ogres

Rare

Chaos Warshrine

LIST TWO

In the second list, the monstrous horde has been split into two smaller units of 8. Otherwise the list is very similar, some warhounds for baiting and tying up warmachines, and a second warshrine to pump up the warriors or ogres.

Heroes

Chaos Sorcerer, lvl 2, Mark of Tzeentch, Daemonic mount

Core

19 Chaos Warriors, Shields, Mark of Tzeentch, Full command, Rapturous Standard (BSB)
6 Warhounds
6 Warhounds

Special

8 Ogres, Chaos Armour, Great Weapons, Mark of Tzeentch, Musician, Banner
8 Ogres, Chaos Armour, Great Weapons, Mark of Tzeentch, Musician, Banner

Rare

Chaos Warshrine, Mark of Tzeentch
Chaos Warshrine, Mark of Tzeentch

LIST THREE

Finally, the third list features a lord level sorcerer, for a stronger magic phase, and three units of 6 ogres. This list has the most banners for blood and glory, and is the most mobile, with more units. My only misgiving is that with only 6 ogres to a unit, the unit becomes very suceptable to static combat resolution if they fluff their attacks. Also, no warshrines in this list. Maybe not a massive issue, but I tend to like them.

Lords

Chaos Sorcerer Lord, lvl 4, Mark of Tzeentch, Daemonic mount

Heroes

Core

6 Warhounds
6 Warhounds

Special

6 Ogres, Chaos Armour, Great Weapons, Mark of Tzeentch, Musician, Banner

So I ask you, of these lists, which is the most effective, and why? Also, what could be done to improve any one of them? Now, I ought to say in advance that while i'm keen on having a lot of ogres, I am willing to cut back if it will help, but I'm not going to cut them entirely. I like ogres.

So, thoughts?

Gwidders
02-08-2011, 10:00
I've got no idea about how any of the armies would play... but I WANT ONE! would look awesome on the table to have a block of 18 ogres facing up.

Morax
02-08-2011, 15:38
While I like List 2 I think list 3 would do better. Particularly if you drop one unit of ogres to include two warshrines with the mark of tzeench. This should also leave you open to taking unit champions with the ogres. I usually don't suggest unit champions, particularly in units of monsterous infantry, but with the warshrines giving them the chance at a roll on the eye of the gods table I think they will prove their worth.

I would also drop the daemonic mount because it is a monstrous beast making your general a monsterous calvary unit type. No look out sir rolls spell trouble imo. You could take the extra points this gives you and include the standard of discipline on the unit that the general will be joining. That would give you a leadership 9 general as long as he stayed with the unit, not too shabby for the low point cost of the banner. Any additional points left over, will hopefully be enough for the infernal puppet on the sorcerer lord. Can't tell you how many times that thing changed the corse of a game.

I'd also be tempted to drop the non-bsb exhalted hero to furnish some of these changes. Might help you keep some of those ogres you like so much. For the most part chaos warriors don't need the extra help in close combat. They do just fine with their base stat line and do even better when buffed by a warshrine. I would take some extra protection for your bsb though. Talisman of preservation plus favor of the gods makes a nice combo. Hard to beat a 3++ for the bsb.