PDA

View Full Version : The Riddle of the Sphinx... (2500pts)

Dreadgrass
02-08-2011, 07:20
Hi all,

Working on a 2500pt Tomb Kings list, revolving around some Sphinx.

Here's my 1st attempt so far:

LORDS - ***pts
Grand Hierophant Khatep

HEROES - 393pts

Liche Priest - Lvl.2, Dispel Scroll

Necrotect - Naked

Tomb Prince - Great Weapon

CORE - 630pts

49 x Skellies - full command *Tomb Prince goes here

37 x Skellies - full command *Khatep, Liche Priest, and Necrotect here

SPECIAL - 834pts

3 x Carrion
3 x Carrion

Warsphinx - Fiery Roar
Warsphinx - Fiery Roar
Warsphinx - Fiery Roar

RARE - 310pts

Heirotitan
Casket of Souls

Total: 2497

Gameplan:

Essentially the plan is a refused flank. The skellie tarpits hold the centre, with the 3 Sphinx running up a flank, the bunker follows behind them, with the Heiro covering their exposed side. Carrion are chaff hunters/ warmachine hunters/ disposable drops so I can position the main units as efficiently as possible.

Name of the game here is "Sphinx combo-charge!" Not many units can stand up to a pair of sphinx charging it, especially not with regen and support magic being focused on them. The combination of Khatep, casket and Heirotitan is incredible, allowing for a very reliable (relatively speaking) magic phase.

The Necrotect is primarily there to support the Sphinx. I know a 6+ regen isn't great, but when it's spread across 3 multi-wound models (4 if you count the titan who's no slouch in CC either) as well as joining the bunker to shift Khatep to the 2nd rank for protection, I think it's points well spent.

and just so it's said my meta isn't heavy on cannons... though they are present from time to time.

Questions for you all:

1st - What changes would you suggest to make it more competitive, but still following the same style of list? (I can drop 1 Sphinx if required, but would like to keep at least 2)

2nd - What lore on the support Priest? I'm swinging between Nehekehara for another desert wind to keep the flank moving quickly and the potential of having another caster with protection or smiting or Light for the awesome buffs (Primarily -1 to hit or WS/I 10 to make the sphinx even harder to kill).

Dreadgrass
04-08-2011, 11:56
So, we've got a whole lot of lookin' but no suggestions thusfar?

This list strays away from my normal platstyle greatly, so I'd really appreciate some feedback!

Von Wibble
04-08-2011, 12:09
Hi all,

Working on a 2500pt Tomb Kings list, revolving around some Sphinx.

Here's my 1st attempt so far:

LORDS - ***pts
Grand Hierophant Khatep

HEROES - 393pts

Liche Priest - Lvl.2, Dispel Scroll

Necrotect - Naked

CORE - 630pts

37 x Skellies - full command *Khatep, Liche Priest, and Necrotect here

SPECIAL - 834pts

3 x Carrion
3 x Carrion

Warsphinx - Fiery Roar
Warsphinx - Fiery Roar
Warsphinx - Fiery Roar

RARE - 310pts

Heirotitan
Casket of Souls

Total: 2497

Gameplan:

Essentially the plan is a refused flank. The skellie tarpits hold the centre, with the 3 Sphinx running up a flank, the bunker follows behind them, with the Heiro covering their exposed side. Carrion are chaff hunters/ warmachine hunters/ disposable drops so I can position the main units as efficiently as possible.

Name of the game here is "Sphinx combo-charge!" Not many units can stand up to a pair of sphinx charging it, especially not with regen and support magic being focused on them. The combination of Khatep, casket and Heirotitan is incredible, allowing for a very reliable (relatively speaking) magic phase.

The Necrotect is primarily there to support the Sphinx. I know a 6+ regen isn't great, but when it's spread across 3 multi-wound models (4 if you count the titan who's no slouch in CC either) as well as joining the bunker to shift Khatep to the 2nd rank for protection, I think it's points well spent.

and just so it's said my meta isn't heavy on cannons... though they are present from time to time.

Questions for you all:

1st - What changes would you suggest to make it more competitive, but still following the same style of list? (I can drop 1 Sphinx if required, but would like to keep at least 2)

2nd - What lore on the support Priest? I'm swinging between Nehekehara for another desert wind to keep the flank moving quickly and the potential of having another caster with protection or smiting or Light for the awesome buffs (Primarily -1 to hit or WS/I 10 to make the sphinx even harder to kill).

It looks fine as an army - I would go with it and see how it goes. The only thing I am unsure about is the Princes - the skeletons can tarpit enemies at that unit size already, and the princes are very expensive for what they add.

If you were to remove a prince you could get a catapult and add a few extra skeleton warriors to replace the losses.

I would stick with nehekhara for the priest - light doesn't guarantee you one of those spells so is a bit of a risk.

Trace07
04-08-2011, 12:50
Nice looking list