PDA

View Full Version : Quick VC question

vinush
02-08-2011, 08:38
Hi all. I'm away from my books at the moment and on my iPhone so the search function doesn't work properly and I have a question regarding VC.

Does your army need to be lead by a model with the Vampire rule?

TYIA

THE \/ince

The Clairvoyant
02-08-2011, 09:16
yes

extra characters

vinush
02-08-2011, 09:54
What page of the army book is this requirement? AFAIR, it's only on the page that tells you about army selection and the errata/faq tells you to ignore that page, yes?

THE \/ince

The Clairvoyant
02-08-2011, 10:01
the latest faq tells you to ignore that page apart from the bit about having a vampire lead your army.
You might want to go back to the faq page and get the later version

vinush
02-08-2011, 10:06
Why does google search link me to the older version (1.1) that you can't actually get to on the GW website?

That sucks. Guess the army is going to hide away on a shelf when I move.

THE \/ince

Mr_Rose
02-08-2011, 11:40
Why does google search link me to the older version (1.1) that you can't actually get to on the GW website?

That sucks. Guess the army is going to hide away on a shelf when I move.

THE \/ince
Because Google does not keep a "live" tab of every web-page in the internet; not only would that be ridiculously inefficient, it would also pretty much double global traffic and slow the entire thing to a crawl.

Also, why would your army have to sit on a shelf? The army always required a vampire to lead it from when it was printed until the 8e FAQs were first published and it staggers me to think that anyone really, honestly thought that the part of the FAQs that was transparently copied and pasted between all of them and happened to eliminate the Vampire requirement was anything other than an oversight.

vinush
02-08-2011, 11:56
Because it's sat on a shelf since the current army book came out. It only rarel got an outig with the 6th edition book unless we allowed the alternate lists in the back of the book.

I know that a lot of criticism of both 6th edition core army book, and 7th edition army booh from veteran gamers was the lack of viable non-vampire build. Again, that is most of us who remember the old 'Undead' army before the VC/Khemri split in the rules. I guess we'd hoped that this errata was going some way toward redressing that.

Also, if you're a non-competitive player, as most of my gaming group are, then why would you look at the errata for an army you don't play? Granted, it probably was an oversight on the terms of copying and pasting, but for a while there I was hoping it was a loophole I could exploit to build my army the way I used to.

I guess I'm going to have to unsubscribe to my own question if I'm going to get this kind of abuse for a simple question.

The Clairvoyant
02-08-2011, 12:14
If you want a non-vampire build, you could just take a wight king with 'counts as' a vampire.
Or with a little work, you could adapt the old Kemmler rules that were on the website for 6th ed. If you don't have the pdf or can't find it, drop me a line and i'll email it to you.
It won't take much to translate his items into the modern equivalents of items/bloodline powers

e.g. Cloak of mists & shadows = spectral horror

All comes down to how your group is with homebrew. If they're an uncompetitive lot, they'll probably be fine with it if you talk to them about it :)

vinush
02-08-2011, 18:27
Do you mean have the Wight King I assign as my general "counts as" a Vampire, or pay for a Vampire but use the Wight King model?

Also, thanks for the ideas The Clairvoyant. I think I might stick a thread up on General about it.

THE \/ince

Ovassilias
03-08-2011, 11:16
VC FAQ

"Page 88 – Army List Entries
Ignore everything on this page, except for the second
paragraph in the Choosing Characters section, and use the
rules for ‘Choosing Your Army’ in the Warhammer rulebook"

Second paragraph on this page says: A Vampire Counts army must always include at least one vampire to act as its general.

BEEGfrog
04-08-2011, 12:32
I would ask your gaming group if you can ignore the requirement for a vampire. The rules allow you to make house rules and army list alterations with the agreement of your opponent. Just don't take it to a tournament (although a minority of tournament organisers would allow it with prior agreement).