PDA

View Full Version : 2500 points HE list for SoM

Jimmy Reptile
02-08-2011, 16:42
Hello everybody.

I've just put together my 2500 points HE list for Storm of Magic, but as you will notice the 625 points of monsters or items from the SoM book are still missing. I hope some of you will come with ideas, which can fit in with the list below. Basically I'll need some offensive support as my army is already fit to defend the arcane fulcrums I'll control in the beginning of a game.

LORDS
Level 4 Archmage with Book of Ashur, using the Lore of Metal 330 points

HEROES
Level 1 Dragon Mage of Caledor with Foe Bane and Amulet of Fire riding a Sun Dragon, using the Lore of Fire 395 Points

Level 1 Mage with Annulian Crystal, using High Magic 140 points

CORE
40 Spearmen with Sentinel, Musician and Standard Bearer 385 points

24 Lothern Sea Guards with shields, including Sea Master, Musician and Standard Bearer 337 points

12 Archers 132 points

SPECIAL
21 White Lions of Chrace with Guardian, Musician and Standard Bearer with Banner of Arcane Protection 370 points

14 Phoenix Guards 210 points

RARE
2 Great Eagles 100 points

1 Repeater Bolt Thrower 100 points

Total 2499 points

In my gaming group we have agreed to play 2500 points.
There will be 4 fulcrums in total on the battlefield.
The armies I will face are; The Empire, Vampire Counts, Orcs and Goblins, Bretonnia and Warriors of Chaos.

THE PLAN:
The two wizards on foot will each hold one of the two arcane fulcrums on my tableside and denying as much enemy magic as posible and in the same time try to boost my own troops (Enchanted Blades of Aiban, Glittering Robe, Meteoric Ironclad, Quicksilver Swords and Courage of Aenarion).
The Dragon Mage is able to hunt arcane fulcrums on the opponents tableside using his Foe Bane. In the same time he can boost my
troops with Flaming Sword of Rhuin, which I will be 100 % certain to get!
The spearmen and archers are supposed to guard one arcane fulcrum while the lothern sea guard guards the other. The spearmen and the lothern sea guard can also move forth to engage a threatening enemy.
Between the fulcrums I'll place the phoenix guards in position to flank charge any threats and cancel their opportunity to be steadfast.
The White Lions can be used offensively or defensively and is protected from shooting (3+ Sv from Lion Cloaks combined with heavy armour) as well as magic (5+ WSv from Banner of Arcane Protection).
The archers can supply support fire and the repeater bolt thrower can target out monsters or wizards on arcane fulcrums. The archers can also go monster hunting if they get affected by flaming sword of rhuin, as this will mean they wound on 5+!
Finally my great eagles can fulfil different roles; wizard or war machine hunting or assist in persues so the units of the main army can stay closer to each other.

Let me know what you think and please help with input for my 625 points of SoM support.

Thanks!

Von Wibble
02-08-2011, 20:56
Hello everybody.

I've just put together my 2500 points HE list for Storm of Magic, but as you will notice the 625 points of monsters or items from the SoM book are still missing. I hope some of you will come with ideas, which can fit in with the list below. Basically I'll need some offensive support as my army is already fit to defend the arcane fulcrums I'll control in the beginning of a game.

LORDS
Level 4 Archmage with Book of Ashur, using the Lore of Metal 330 points

Fine. Presumably you have Metal for the cataclysm spells, as the regular ones aren't brilliant? I'd recommend possibly having Metal on a lower level wizard and High, Shadows, Beasts or Life on the archmage - since you mention wanting to buff units Beasts seems the best route (the cataclysm spells put the metal augments to shame, and the signature spell is great too)

HEROES
Level 1 Dragon Mage of Caledor with Foe Bane and Amulet of Fire riding a Sun Dragon, using the Lore of Fire 395 Points

I'm not a big fan of the dragon mage in regular games, and even less so in SoM. He is expensive, limited in which fulcrums he can take, and Fire isn't even a great lore. He is also an arrow magnet and won't last long, even with amulet of fire. A level 2 mage and commander on eagle costs about the same and is more effective. That said, if you must take one, Foe bane is OK, but I'd go for other tricksters shard and silver wand instead- the sahrd does far more against fulcrum owners than foe bane because it helps your dragon too, and the wand then gives you an extra spell, the idea being to throw a dice or 2 at each one and get effectively 3 extra power dice from reckless caster.

Level 1 Mage with Annulian Crystal, using High Magic 140 points

Fine, but as I said above, I'd suggest switching his lore with that of the archmage.

CORE
40 Spearmen with Sentinel, Musician and Standard Bearer 385 points

24 Lothern Sea Guards with shields, including Sea Master, Musician and Standard Bearer 337 points

I would try to find the points for banner of flaming death here in order to reroll to wound against fulcrums and deal with regeneration (eg hydras)

12 Archers 132 points

SPECIAL
21 White Lions of Chrace with Guardian, Musician and Standard Bearer with Banner of Arcane Protection 370 points

14 Phoenix Guards 210 points

RARE
2 Great Eagles 100 points

1 Repeater Bolt Thrower 100 points

Total 2499 points

In my gaming group we have agreed to play 2500 points.
There will be 4 fulcrums in total on the battlefield.
The armies I will face are; The Empire, Vampire Counts, Orcs and Goblins, Bretonnia and Warriors of Chaos.

THE PLAN:
The two wizards on foot will each hold one of the two arcane fulcrums on my tableside and denying as much enemy magic as posible and in the same time try to boost my own troops (Enchanted Blades of Aiban, Glittering Robe, Meteoric Ironclad, Quicksilver Swords and Courage of Aenarion).
The Dragon Mage is able to hunt arcane fulcrums on the opponents tableside using his Foe Bane. In the same time he can boost my
troops with Flaming Sword of Rhuin, which I will be 100 % certain to get!
The spearmen and archers are supposed to guard one arcane fulcrum while the lothern sea guard guards the other. The spearmen and the lothern sea guard can also move forth to engage a threatening enemy.
Between the fulcrums I'll place the phoenix guards in position to flank charge any threats and cancel their opportunity to be steadfast.
The White Lions can be used offensively or defensively and is protected from shooting (3+ Sv from Lion Cloaks combined with heavy armour) as well as magic (5+ WSv from Banner of Arcane Protection).
The archers can supply support fire and the repeater bolt thrower can target out monsters or wizards on arcane fulcrums. The archers can also go monster hunting if they get affected by flaming sword of rhuin, as this will mean they wound on 5+!
Finally my great eagles can fulfil different roles; wizard or war machine hunting or assist in persues so the units of the main army can stay closer to each other.

Let me know what you think and please help with input for my 625 points of SoM support.

Thanks!

The units in the army are fine. No chariots, which I think is always questionnable, (you could fit a couple if you took out the archer unit and RBT) as these things win high elves battles.

For SOM allies, the first question is whether you want flavourful allies or just anything really. A Griffon, Young Dragon, and Zoat could be an option, giving you 2 flyers that can take the heat off your dragon mage, and a backup spellcaster with an excellent complementary lore.