PDA

View Full Version : I recently found out that Tau don't work as an enemy- suggestions for a new enemy

SaschaKreiger
02-08-2011, 23:13
For a long time, I've been working on a war in my fluff between the Sturmkreig Empire and a sept of the Tau. I found out recently that the Tau Empire isn't much more than 30 worlds, if that, meaning that the entire empire would have a full scale war against just the Rotstein Sektor which it attacks (about the same size as the Tau Empire) and probably get stomped if the entire Sturmkreig Empire decided to attack. The fluff involved an attack by a single sept, which is totally inadequate. Other septs are involved in the attack, as are other Sturmkreig Sektors, but it's still not much. Are there any other ideas for enemies that could take the place of the Tau?

Maybe another Human empire, or an empire of civilized (in the literal sense, like Humans or Tau) xenos, another 40K race, maybe Chaos Humans...

castellanash
02-08-2011, 23:21
Necrons... Couple of hundred of them will put a big dent in most empires...

SaschaKreiger
02-08-2011, 23:41
Necrons are pretty good, they also fit well because Sturmkreig is like the reverse of the Eldar. Rather than have every being be psychic, everyone is either a blank (no positive or negative warp presence) or an untouchable (less common).

I think Necrons are good, and I am definitely going to work on working them in, but they're not really that sentient. Unlike Tau, they don't have any complex reasons and beliefs for attacking (need land, resources, want to convert the population, consider their invasion to be a liberation). Necrons just want to kill everything. I suppose that fighting against them could still make for a big heroic story.

castellanash
02-08-2011, 23:48
Ciaphas Cain does a good job of heroically er.... 'fighting' them...

Lornak Bloodgreed
06-08-2011, 10:35
There's nothing better than IG taking on Chaos Space Marines and getting ruined before the astartes, mechanicus, eldar, or a combination of the three come in and save them. ;)

Blackhoof
06-08-2011, 14:25
Orks r good enemies in any setting. U could hav them he led by a supersmart mutant harbors that tau geneticists engineer and unleash on u wen they realise they cannot win.

Blackhoof
06-08-2011, 14:27
Orks r good enemies in any setting. U could hav them he led by a supersmart mutant warboss that tau geneticists engineer and unleash on u wen they realise they cannot win.

SaschaKreiger
06-08-2011, 21:36
I'm considering Chaos Space Marines, though they seem like they are too powerful and would be too small a force. Also, the Damned Tiger idea I had for Chaos fighting for Rotstein and Stahlberg sort of got abandon when I decided not to have Space Marines in the Sturmkreig Empire. While they certainly may have the technology as a part of the Imperium, it wouldn't be as good story wise, as there are other powerful units that Sturmkreig has that are different.

The Devourer
06-08-2011, 22:34
I don't know if this makes any difference but the Tau certainly control more than 30 worlds. Currently they hold more than 100 planets, and have a powerful military for such a small empire. Remember they have managed to push back imperial crusades and Hive fleets. It would take a serious military force to stomp the Tau.

SaschaKreiger
07-08-2011, 01:39
If it turns out they were wrong, I'll keep it. I could also always expand on the fluff and create another Tau settlement that maybe expanded faster or something.

Blackhoof
08-08-2011, 04:36
renegade tau or a full-on breakaway faction could work. if, perhaps, they entered into a deal with a pskychic-capable race to navigate through the warp for them they could have travelled far away and be able to expand much faster than ordinary tau.

SaschaKreiger
08-08-2011, 23:12
That works. I was planning on having them work with the Eldar. The Tau would be going to negotiate with Eldar, Scharzenkommandos attack the Eldar, the Ethereal Aun'O Hi'fal'dar is killed, the Tau go crazy, Shas'O Kal'set takes power, Sturmkreig is blamed, and Rotstein is invaded.

The Tau would also have to separate after the caste system developed though.

SaschaKreiger
09-08-2011, 16:28
What if there are several other empires which are similar to Sturmkreig that also formed tens of thousands of years ago, and gradually drifted or were force ably separated?

x-esiv-4c
09-08-2011, 18:56
The Umbra.

SaschaKreiger
09-08-2011, 20:10
What?

Are you suggesting anything?

TheLaughingGod
10-08-2011, 01:34
What if the Tau ARE a good enemy? Perhaps their advanced technology and battle tactics are superior to your Sturmkreig, and you have to make up the difference in sheer numbers and determination. I'd say that's actually a pretty good enemy, honestly. Even though you outnumber them, they're able to hold their own against you by sheer virtue of technological superiority and the application of superior battle techniques. Isn't that kind of the schtick of the Tau anyways?

SaschaKreiger
10-08-2011, 03:21
I thought about that, but if a sept should only be one or a few worlds, (I believe they said three as being "large") that's still nothing compared to 50. Even if it's a super populated world, the Tau would need extremely over the top over powered technology. Maybe not for certain parts of the war, such as the siege of Stahlberg near the beginning, when one soldier is given a lasgun and the other is given a magazine...

TheLaughingGod
10-08-2011, 05:02
It doesnt really matter. Even minor advantages in technology combined with well trained troops and skilled commanders can even out the odds. You have vast armies and war machines, but you must defend your whole empire, whereas the Tau need only defend their worlds. A hunter cadre is a formidable force, capable of outmaneuvering and defeating larger forces. In fact, the Tau fought the Imperium and have succeeded thus far against the Space Marines and the Guard. They're experienced fighting humans, experienced against larger forces. Your empire is initially unprepared for the Tau way of war. It'll be the Third Expansion all over again.

I think it would work nicely. Besides, the Tau empire is quite large. 20 Major worlds that are named and an unknown number of minor worlds and allied worlds. It could be hundreds of worlds all told, for resources and manpower.

Remoah
10-08-2011, 12:43
Just remember that Damocles was cut short by a Tyranid invasion. The only reason the tau empire is around these days is because the Imperium recalled all it's forces to fight off the Hive Fleet and thus the remaining elements were destroyed by Tau.

However, this victory against the Imperium certainly spurred on the Tau, and they are also unaware of the vast size of the Imperium (though the Ethereal's are aware, the fact that they're a tiny drop in the ocean is usually kept secret from the lesser Tau).

The Tau are constantly expanding, and with them their troops soon follow. Many Imperial worlds on the fringe have converted to the Greater Good, this could provide a numerical advantage in many cases.

Not to mention Tau warfare is markedly different from most imperial enemies, they strike with the swiftness of the Eldar, but often out of range of the standard guardsman. This style of shoot-and-scoot warfare allows their forces to deploy and engage the enemy, but remain mobile enough to avoid counter-attack, hence allowing them to fight with fewer numbers but still retain an advantage. Just because they're not a numerically superior force, doesn't mean they aren't superior ;)

x-esiv-4c
10-08-2011, 13:56
What?

Are you suggesting anything?

Yes. I'm suggesting the Umbra. As far as races go, they are one of the more interesting that GW has come up with.

SaschaKreiger
10-08-2011, 15:38
What are they?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks.

The Tau probably will work again after all. Here's a list of planets in the Sturmkreig Empire, with the world captured from the Tau at the end of the war being part of the Imperatorsberg Sektor. (http://en.sturmkreig.com/index.php?title=List_of_planets_in_the_Sturmkreig_ Empire#Imperatorsberg) There's currently 14 worlds in the Imperatorsberg Sektor. (formerly the Tau sept) Maybe I could reduce it slightly, or also have some of them be Human worlds that serve the Tau?

x-esiv-4c
10-08-2011, 15:44
You'll find the info for them in the Xenology book.

SaschaKreiger
10-08-2011, 15:47
I don't have that though.

Frupey
11-08-2011, 16:33
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Umbra

Blackhoof
12-08-2011, 10:40
They look awesome, it would be epic if someone made a custom codex for them.

Inquisitor Kallus
12-08-2011, 14:20
Chaos Guard and Chaos Space Marines and maybe daemons. You get a horror element, and cool human vs bad human interaction. Its also easy to explain and can lead to some great characterisation of 'evil guardsmen'