PDA

View Full Version : 3000 points, Competitive, Using the New Models

Mostly Ghostly
03-08-2011, 20:55
I love the new Vampire Counts models, and so I made an army list that uses them (along with the older ones I like) which is hopefully also competitive:

--

Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon with Level 3, Red Fury, Dreadlance, and Flayed Hauberk - 680

Vampire Battle Standard Bearer with Ghoulkin, Summon Ghouls and Claws of Might - 180

Necromancer with Extra Spell, Scepter de Noirot and Dispell Scroll - 120

Necromancer with Black Periapt and Dispell Scroll on Corpse Cart with Unholy Lodestone - 195

40 Zombies - 160

40 Zombies - 160

20 Crypt Ghouls - 160

10 Crypt Ghouls - 80

10 Crypt Ghouls - 80

10 Dire Wolves - 80

10 Dire Wolves - 80

4 Fell bats - 80

5 Cairn Wraiths and Tomb Banshee - 325

6 Blood Knights, Kastellan with Sword of Battle, Standard Bearer with Flag of Blood Keep - 460

Vargulf - 175

Total: 3000 points

I would buy:

Vampire Counts Battalion - $100
Zombie Dragon - $60
Terrorgeist - $60 (As the Vargulf, with the rider as the Ghoulkin Vampire, both accompanying the large Ghoul unit)
Mannfreid von Carstein Mounted - $38 (As the Blood Knight's Kastellan)
Necromancer on Foot - $12 (With the Sceptre de Noirot)
40 Zombies - $70 (Mixed with bits from the Battalion skeletons)
40 Ghouls - $100
20 Dire Wolves - $50
10 Gargoyle Wings $10 (Attached to the Battalion ghouls to make the fell bats)
5 Cairn Wraths and Banshee - $80
5 Dragon Princes - $30 (As the Blood Knights, perhaps with some Undead Bitz)

Total: $610

Sistine_Shrapnel
03-08-2011, 23:57
The list is illegal, since dire wolves don't count towards core requirements, and the scrolls count towards the arcane item limit. Here is an edited version:

--

Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon with Level 3, Red Fury, Dreadlance, and Flayed Hauberk - 680

Vampire Battle Standard Bearer with Royal Standard of Strigos, Ghoulkin, Summon Ghouls and Claws of Might - 215

Necromancer with Invocation of Nehek, Raise Dead, and Sceptre de Noirot - 95

Necromancer with Invocation of Nehek and Black Periapt on Corpse Cart with Unholy Lodestone - 170

40 Zombies - 160

40 Zombies - 160

20 Crypt Ghouls - 160

10 Crypt Ghouls - 80

10 Crypt Ghouls - 80

10 Crypt Ghouls - 80

10 Crypt Ghouls - 80

5 Fell bats - 100

5 Cairn Wraiths and Tomb Banshee - 325

6 Blood Knights, Kastellan with Balefire Spike, Standard Bearer with Flag of Blood Keep - 455

Varghulf - 175

Tomalock
04-08-2011, 05:33
I get the feeling from this list that either you haven't played VC much in 8th or you have a very friendly/soft gaming environment. In 7th this would probably be a pretty strong list overall (maybe minus the zombie dragon), however you are really going to struggle in 8th unless the latter above is true. If you haven't bought these models, then let me offer some suggestions based on the strength of the list. If you are playing purely for fun with friends who don't build hard lists, feel free to disregard. If you are truely going for a competitive build with the new models then hopefully the below will help you out some:

Characters:

As Sistine pointed out, your necromancers are very much illegal (so regardless of how you want to build your list, you have to change this). You can probably get away with no scrolls, although I'd take a scroll over the scepter for sure. I don't think you need a BSB here. The one Sistine posted is common, but you don't have a single unit that makes it worth while. You can keep the vampire, but save the bsb points.

Core:

Don't spend $70 on zombies. Use the 40 in the battalion if you must (although they would be better being summoned in without paying list points for them) but spend $75 on 3 more boxes of ghouls. You really need to combine your ghoul units to make them bigger. Your single level 1 with Summon Ghouls is not going to be able to get them all to fighting strength (or even any of them in many games) in time. Run them in the 25-30 range minimum. Units of 10 will do nothing of value for you. You can run the wolves if you really want to, having the diversions and redirecting is useful against some armies, but I'd probably run them 5 strong at that point. Again, as with the zombies I'd recommend spending that $50 on more ghouls, but if you like the models then maybe just a box split into two units would work for you.

Special:

I dunno if 4, or 5, fell bats are going to do a lot for you without a vampire babysitting them, but if you like the conversion idea then stick with it. I find the GW models to be very ugly, but your idea sounds like it could look cool and having fliers to accompany your Lord isn't terrible.

Rares:

If you do include a BSB, get him Dread Knight and put him in with the BKs (swap their banner out for Strigos). I would drop the Champ either way as being forced to challenge every combat is rarely to your advantage. You said from the get-go that you wanted to use the new models so I won't say don't use the wraith unit. What I will say is do not use the terrorgeist model as a vargulf. That base is so much bigger than a vargulf's base that you are throwing away one of the biggest advantages the vargulf model has over the terrorgeist model. If you really want to use it then drop the blood knights and take a terrorgeist or two (you can always use the wraiths and banshees as characters don't forget).

I hope some of this helps. Without knowing your intentions for the list and what environment you plan to use it in, I am hesitant to offer the above advice, but some of it is basic that can be followed without changing the nature of your list (such as combining the ghoul units).

Mostly Ghostly
04-08-2011, 18:56
Thanks for the responses! How about this?

--

Vampire Battle Standard Bearer with Standard of Strigos, Red Fury and Dread Knight - 185

Vampire with Ghoulkin, Summon Ghouls and Claws of Might - 155

Necromancer with Extra Spell (Vanhel’s Danse Macabre) and Dispell Scroll- 95

Necromancer with Black Periapt on Corpse Cart with Unholy Lodestone - 170

30 Crypt Ghouls - 240

30 Crypt Ghouls - 240

40 Crypt Ghouls - 320

5 Fell bats - 100

4 Cairn Wraiths and Tomb Banshee - 270

5 Blood Knights and Standard Bearer with Flag of Blood Keep - 370

Varghulf - 175

--

Is there any way the Terrorgheist could fit on a Varghulf base?

TrojanWolf
05-08-2011, 11:51
Is there any way the Terrorgheist could fit on a Varghulf base?

Not without looking ridiculous. The Terrorgheist is just too big for that.

AM1640
05-08-2011, 15:52
Hi, Mostly Ghostly, your revised list still has some errors in it.
The Vampire BSB can only have 50 points of powers he is currently at 75.
What are "Claws of Might"?
The points cost for 5 cairn wraiths with one upgraded to a banshee is 275.
I know you are very attached to the vamp lord on the dragon, it is a nice model and could potentially work. However any warmachine or magic spell that ignores armor saves is going to kill him really fast. Bear in mind that with the dreadlance it is only useful in the first round of combat in which you have charged. After that 1st round or if you didn't charge you are using a regular hand weapon. I would recommend replacing the dreadlance with a cheaper weapon such as the sword of anti heroes and then use the other points for a ward save like the talisman of endurance. Red Fury is great and if you play Storm of Magic combine it with the Dawnstar Sword for a potential 20 instant kills (double attacks, extra attacks if you take beast magic/forbidden lore, auto hit, auto wound, high enough strength to negate armor save, red fury).
The bats can only march near a vampire, so it is difficult to use them as war machine hunters and they aren't really good at anything else. I agree that purchased units of zombies suck and just hand the opponent victory points. Instead raise a new unit and send it to attack a war machine.
Until a new armybook, vampires play 1 of 2 very static lists.