PDA

View Full Version : Less confirmed rumors = more excited?

Barry "the blade"
04-08-2011, 02:43
So with the new clamp down on rumors, no black boxes, shortend time for pre orders, and very few leaks coming out I realized that with Ogre Kingdoms coming out soon I "know" very little about what will be with in the book, other than having seen a few pics.

That said I very much look forward to buying a army book that I don't already know 90% of the rules for. So I stopped reading the rumor thread. It just seems like I've been reading the spoiler before watching the movie for the last several releases.

Just got me wondering if anyone else is looking forward to buying a book before knowing most of the content before hand.

How about you?

AlphariusOmegon20
04-08-2011, 03:11
It's curbed my enthusiasm of new releases to the point I won't automatically buy the OK book nor any models until I can see them up close, and that won't be until after they are released, and until the policy is reversed, this also applies to any future releases also. I'm fairly sure that a lot of people will share my view point and thus the OK initial release day sales will not meet GW's expectations. One week is not enough time to drum up much excitement over an incoming product.

Way to have the opposite effect that you intended, GW.

Feefait
04-08-2011, 03:24
I look at it like movie previews. Sometimes - usually - they ruin a movie for me. I like all the rumors, but all the confirmations just kind of leads to a let down. I can't stop looking, but I really really want to play the new ogres, except I'm going to know the whole book before it comes out it seems. I'm less excited and more just ready for it to get here.

Tarliyn
04-08-2011, 04:27
I agree.

I think GW has it spot on with the way they handle rumors
and tbh they do it the same has many other companies do when it comes to release date products. I run a shoe store so that is where this knowledge comes from but Jordan/Nike doesn't release photos of their release date shoes until they are good and ready, and if you are caught taking pictures, displaying, showing shoes, or selling them prior to a release date you can get your nike license yanked.

Same with Wizards of the coast, they release the information when they are good and ready not when the public decides they should get it.

I know it sucks for those that like rumors but GW really isn't doing anything unusual or negative really.

Jind_Singh
04-08-2011, 04:39
As for rumors - I don't care - when I heard the new Orcs & Goblins book was coming out I was super pumped!

When I heard Storm of Magic was coming I was super pumped!

I don't read the rumor threads other than to look at pictures - So for the Orcs & Goblins I drooled over the pics of the Spider, savages, etc - same for Storm of Magic, the new VC release

As for the rules themselves....

MUCH better to wait for the book to come out, sometimes they come out a little bit before at the GWs via the black boxes, and then read through at my hearts content!

Same way I like to wait for Christmas to find out what prezzies I've got!

Shimmergloom
04-08-2011, 04:43
If you care so little for this game or for the minis that nothing can hold your interest beyond a few days lead time, then you won't be around long enough to really get into warhammer anyway.

amysrevenge
04-08-2011, 04:46
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

All we care about is the next thing we don't know about, no matter where in the development cycle we find out exactly what's coming.

The closer GW can have "find out exactly what's coming" to when models are actually on sale, the better they will do.

Zoring
04-08-2011, 04:47
I only get excited when i hear rumours about stuff i care about, so it's hard for me to make an assessment, that said when the new IG book was being released the rumours made me much more interested in excited, so much so that i bought a lot of the stuff i wanted on the first couple of days. Less rumours can't generate more excitement.

Barry "the blade"
04-08-2011, 04:57
I started playing at the end of 5th edition, so no Shimmergloom... In and out since then, and I enjoy the fluff/hobby aspect/list building more than the game.
Last time I bought I bought a book with zero knowledge was 6th ed DE. That was a huge let down for the $200 investment (back then the army box with book came out 2 weeks before the book was released).

Ever since then I feel like I've known most of the facts before release. I just look forward to reading an armybook before I know all the details.

I was just looking to see if anyone else felt the same.

AlphariusOmegon20
04-08-2011, 09:42
If you care so little for this game or for the minis that nothing can hold your interest beyond a few days lead time, then you won't be around long enough to really get into warhammer anyway.

I'll try to remember that when I hit my 20th anniversary in the GW hobby in 2016. :rolleyes:

starlight
04-08-2011, 10:08
It's (not the only factor, but it sure didn't help) dried up my spending to the point that I've only bought two books (C:DE and C:GK) recently (in the last year) and they were both at least a few months after they were released.

The gradual buildup over several months let me plan my spending and if there was one army that I wasn't interested in, then there was information on others that I 'was' interested in. :) Alas, that is gone... :(

Now I'm looking for opponents and finding more opponents in other systems, whereas it used to be almost entirely GW...so maybe I'm not alone... :shifty:

sasheep
04-08-2011, 10:27
I'm pretty new here so only really saw rumor threads for TK onwards. The TK thread got me well excited and ment that when the book came I had a good idea of what I wanted to buy so I didn't waste any money. The lead up times also gave me a chance to save the funds for such a big buy. For things like C: DE (and older armies) the black box gave me the chance to look through the book, work out a list and gave me a fair amount of time to save up too.
This new one week heads up thing from GW makes it hard to really save up for anything. I can see why they are doing it but if it wasn't for sites like this I would never buy anything the week it comes out.

Nighthawke
04-08-2011, 10:37
For me since this clamp down ive really reeled in my spending, ive started to wait till after the release date and ive ahd a good read of the book to see if its worth me buying and by that time im not really excited and less likely to buy it since theres no release day rush. Now it really is a case of lets wait untill someone i know buys it and lets me read there copy.

Before id read the rumours and get a pretty good idea as what is was going to be like, then get to look at the black box and give the book a read and see the models in person, and if it was an army i collect i could give it a little play test to get the feel of the book, then come in release day and go this book is awesome im going to get it.

jack da greenskin
04-08-2011, 12:39
makes me far less excited. I don't really give a toss what they're releasing anymore, I've seen pics of every new release before GW makes official word. I'm not going to order the mammox "because it loos cool", I might buy the book, then I'll see if I want one in my list.

The new release policy just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

EmperorNorton
04-08-2011, 12:51
I am considerably less excited and more likely to wait with my purchases instead of rushing out on the day of release.
Currently I don't even know when the next day of release is going to be or what is going to be released. So how the heck am I supposed to be excited about it?

Sureshot05
04-08-2011, 12:53
It's reducing the interest for me. A good build up draws me and starts making me think about what from a range interests me (like cinema trailers). Simply launching it with only a week to go means the product lifetime and my interest is a lot shorter. This I think is a shame as instead of knowing about a particular model or range for several months and getting excited about it (like a good movie or book) I instead I only see an instant splash and it dies quickly to the next wave. Some companies like this policy, some don't, but the companies that tend to get my money are the ones that do get me excited in advanced.

Voss
04-08-2011, 13:03
So with the new clamp down on rumors, no black boxes, shortend time for pre orders, and very few leaks coming out I realized that with Ogre Kingdoms coming out soon I "know" very little about what will be with in the book, other than having seen a few pics.

That said I very much look forward to buying a army book that I don't already know 90% of the rules for. So I stopped reading the rumor thread. It just seems like I've been reading the spoiler before watching the movie for the last several releases.

Just got me wondering if anyone else is looking forward to buying a book before knowing most of the content before hand.

How about you?

It isn't a novel with a story to be ruined by skipping to the end. Its a reference book... if whats inside isn't worthwhile, I won't buy it. The lack of information and lead times is one of several things GW screwed up this year.

In years past, by this point in the rumour cycle, I was planning purchases and even getting somewhat excited by the upcoming release. This year, my interest in the new army books has been largely limited to flipping through them to see how badly they screwed up (GK & O&G). For TK I didn't even have enough interest to do that. I'm mildly intrigued by Ogres (partly because of the concept more than wanting the army), but not to the point that I plan on buying anything. I might have enough interest to look at the book on the release date, but then again, I may wait until I wander in for some non-GW product.

malisteen
04-08-2011, 15:45
The reduction in the rumor stream has reduced Warhammer's presence in my mind. I didn't even know storm of magic was a thing until a week after its release. I just don't pay as much attention anymore.

Bloodknight
04-08-2011, 16:05
What Malisteen said. I don't go to the store on release days anyway because it's loud, crowded and keeps me from browsing. Actually I only go to the store to buy stuff that I know exists, I don't go there to check out the new whatever. That's what the internet is for ;).

librerian_samae
04-08-2011, 16:05
I have over a hundred quid to splash out on ogres, with solid rumors I would have spent the lot first day of pre orders get as much as possible, now I'm probably going to wait till I get the book then get what is most useful cheaper later from online retailers with most of the money being put aside for other projects, sad really :(

Gork or Possibly Mork
04-08-2011, 17:12
Im indifferent to more or less rumours as far as excitement goes.

I do like to be surprized though and I'd rather not know nearly the whole contents of the book before release but at the same time i do like hearing a few snippets.

Hearing rumours doesn't effect what i will buy whatsoever.

Im not the kind of person to buy an army just because it's the new kid on the block just because it might be good in game or looks cool.

I have the same three armies i did in 6th ed when i started. I buy what i like for them to build various list and not much more.

amysrevenge
04-08-2011, 17:40
I'm pretty new here so only really saw rumor threads for TK onwards. The TK thread got me well excited and ment that when the book came I had a good idea of what I wanted to buy so I didn't waste any money.

But...

GW would love for you to "waste" your money buying their stuff. They want you to buy up everything on release day, and maybe regret it later (what do they care, they got the money). They don't want you to figure out ahead of time exactly what you need and only buy that.

starlight
04-08-2011, 18:35
The reduction in the rumor stream has reduced Warhammer's presence in my mind. I didn't even know storm of magic was a thing until a week after its release. I just don't pay as much attention anymore.

I wasn't aware that it was out 'at all' until I read about it here...

What Malisteen said. I don't go to the store on release days anyway because it's loud, crowded and keeps me from browsing. Actually I only go to the store to buy stuff that I know exists, I don't go there to check out the new whatever. That's what the internet is for ;).

Pretty much the only times I go into a GW store (when I'm near one) is during the work/school day...specifically to avoid the obnoxious crowds...which means I'm never there on Release Day... Funny that... :rolleyes:

drear
04-08-2011, 18:45
i find it very exciting.
i didnt know about ogres until white dwarf images leaked on here last week.

but genrally you have an idea of whats to come.
my store will tell me ..' well this isnt in stock..' or ' maybe wait till next week to buy...'

and there is always a good discussion about what could be /whats coming/ what we saw on various websites.

and as far as black boxes are concerned, its not such a big deal. i find it far more exciting to buy somthing , sit in the store on release day and look through it with like minds , shouting ' omg lookat this!'

when the SOM stuff came out, we'd seen a few pictures, but not the kits up close.
a guy opened the manticore and we sat for ages just looking at it, excited.

if getting solid rumours 4 months ahead of a release is what you want out of a hobby..play xbox games. that way you can watch the trailer, watch the designer interviews etc.

really having such generous previews in the past is more of a gift than manditory.
i dont moan because any other company doesnt show me their new product weeks in advance of teh release.

as for pissing on us..gw seems to be producing more stuff and faster than ever before recently, cheer up or go away <:

starlight
04-08-2011, 18:59
i dont moan because any other company doesnt show me their new product weeks in advance of teh release.

Didn't you just say that video game companies started showing their product months in advance...? Car companies, movie and book distributors, and many others all drum up excitement by letting their customers know well in advance...

...or do you think Harry Potter would do as well if no one knew when it was showing and you had to head down to the book store/cinema every Friday just in case it was out...?

The issue is that GW needs to find a balance...which they have yet to do...

R-Love
04-08-2011, 21:13
I agree.

I think GW has it spot on with the way they handle rumors
and tbh they do it the same has many other companies do when it comes to release date products. I run a shoe store so that is where this knowledge comes from but Jordan/Nike doesn't release photos of their release date shoes until they are good and ready, and if you are caught taking pictures, displaying, showing shoes, or selling them prior to a release date you can get your nike license yanked.

Same with Wizards of the coast, they release the information when they are good and ready not when the public decides they should get it.

I know it sucks for those that like rumors but GW really isn't doing anything unusual or negative really.

:wtf: They'll refuse to let you sell shoes if you show them early. Shoes. Is there really any way seeing a shoe a couple weeks early is going to make any bloody difference at all? Seriously, shoes? :wtf:

...or do you think Harry Potter would do as well if no one knew when it was showing and you had to head down to the book store/cinema every Friday just in case it was out...?

In the case of Harry Potter? Actually yes, I'm pretty sure it would. But then, I have a feeling that by this point could Rowling get her toilet paper published and sell millions of copies. :p

EmperorNorton
04-08-2011, 21:15
In the case of Harry Potter? Actually yes, I'm pretty sure it would. But then, I have a feeling that by this point could Rowling get her toilet paper published and sell millions of copies. :p

Strange. I thought she had done that already seven times.

Voss
04-08-2011, 21:21

WotC lists products literally months in advance. Usually at least 6. (Can't check their site at work, but amazon has Feywild for november and Vile Darkness for december... bit different than 'Ogres for september, necrons probably october or november and... uh.. probably something for that other month', isn't it? :p)

Details come over time, but they usually run detailed previews with actual excerpts from a book for about 2 months before the release of the book.
They aren't going to just spring Players Handbook 4 (or whatever their current plans are) on people and put it up unannounced for sale next week.

In fact, given that GenCon is this weekend, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they announce most of next year's releases this weekend. I will in fact be very surprised if I don't know what next year's campaign setting is by Sunday (assuming I care enough to check) or indeed, if the PH 4 is coming out in 2012 or not.

But then, WotC is actually willing to spend money on this strange concept known as marketing.

Or take another example: the star wars old republic MMO. The marketing for that is going crazy, preorders are up, and are breaking sales records even though their isn't an official release date or monthly fee announced. But the game itself was announced around 3 years ago. The company actually sharing whats going on is certainly not hurting sales... in fact at the rates the preorders are going, they may break even on the development costs before the game even comes out. (Still need more to make the kind of profit they want, of course, but its getting to the point that it cannot be an abject failure in terms of money spent, minor failure financially is still possible, a failure as a game is, but really bioware, EA and lucas can go have 'we've got their money' party already)

starlight
04-08-2011, 21:22
Now, now... :p

I think eventually even Potter-heads would get fed up with being jerked around...eventually... But the publishing industry is smart enough to understand that most customers will happily hand over sacks of cash for the newest, shiniest whatever...which is something GW might want to try to understand...

Work 'with' the customer and they will happily hand you sacks of cash and tell all their friends to do the same... Annoy your customers for long enough and they'll take their sacks of cash and friends elsewhere...

malisteen
04-08-2011, 21:42
"Strange. I thought she had done that already seven times."

Eh, maybe once or twice. The series didn't end well, but it was pretty good for kid's fantasy series in the middle there.

AlphariusOmegon20
05-08-2011, 01:53
WotC lists products literally months in advance. Usually at least 6. (Can't check their site at work, but amazon has Feywild for november and Vile Darkness for december... bit different than 'Ogres for september, necrons probably october or november and... uh.. probably something for that other month', isn't it? :p)

Details come over time, but they usually run detailed previews with actual excerpts from a book for about 2 months before the release of the book.
They aren't going to just spring Players Handbook 4 (or whatever their current plans are) on people and put it up unannounced for sale next week.

In fact, given that GenCon is this weekend, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they announce most of next year's releases this weekend. I will in fact be very surprised if I don't know what next year's campaign setting is by Sunday (assuming I care enough to check) or indeed, if the PH 4 is coming out in 2012 or not.

But then, WotC is actually willing to spend money on this strange concept known as marketing.

Or take another example: the star wars old republic MMO. The marketing for that is going crazy, preorders are up, and are breaking sales records even though their isn't an official release date or monthly fee announced. But the game itself was announced around 3 years ago. The company actually sharing whats going on is certainly not hurting sales... in fact at the rates the preorders are going, they may break even on the development costs before the game even comes out. (Still need more to make the kind of profit they want, of course, but its getting to the point that it cannot be an abject failure in terms of money spent, minor failure financially is still possible, a failure as a game is, but really bioware, EA and lucas can go have 'we've got their money' party already)

WoTC also has had to deal with a drop off of popularity, due to long time players that stopped playing when TSR no longer owned D&D. A lot never came back, because the game lost it's flavor, compared to what we remember growing up with it.

3.5 wasn't necessarily a change for the better in a lot of people's eyes.

Voss
05-08-2011, 03:12
WoTC also has had to deal with a drop off of popularity, due to long time players that stopped playing when TSR no longer owned D&D. A lot never came back, because the game lost it's flavor, compared to what we remember growing up with it.

3.5 wasn't necessarily a change for the better in a lot of people's eyes.

Um. Ok. I personally found 2nd edition D&D to be a complete waste of time, when all it really did was condense first edition material into a handful of books (at least initially). But I don't really know why I shared that, since it is not really relevant to the the discussion of product lead time, marketing and rumours.

AlphariusOmegon20
05-08-2011, 04:17
Um. Ok. I personally found 2nd edition D&D to be a complete waste of time, when all it really did was condense first edition material into a handful of books (at least initially). But I don't really know why I shared that, since it is not really relevant to the the discussion of product lead time, marketing and rumours.

Actually it's quite relevent.

TSR was widely notorious for not letting people know what was being released next. It wasn't that they clamped down on rumors or what not, they just didn't tell anyone to begin with. That changed when WoTC came in.

Which makes me highly suspicious about how GW has been over the years until recently. I personally believe that the story of how much they wished to clamp down on leaks is/was a lie and it was GW themselves that leaked a lot of the rumors we've seen over the years.

I also personally believe that the current clamp down is only temporary, and they will resume "leaking" releases in the future.

It's not like leaking info intentionally is a new thing. Many businesses do it, as well as politicians.

It's a rather old trick from a rather old playbook.

fruitystu
05-08-2011, 23:25
The less I know, the more I enjoy the release.

I think a big part of it is the reduced 'ZOMG BORKEN!' drivel that used to go round with every, single bloody rumour, which lead to me tuning out anyways until I had the product in my hands.

And the rumour mill sometimes got it so, so wrong. I used to work for GW, and at one point, was sat posting about 4th Edition, with a pre-released copy of the book right in frikking front of me, being told I was wrong, lying etc, by some interweb ********* who decided they had seen the book, when they clearly hadn't.

grimkeeper
06-08-2011, 09:25
In a word ,No, Its saved me a packet. As others have said ,i dont want to know everything. Im greatful for the Rumers that we do get no matter how vauge, it all adds to the excitment and gets the creative juices flowing. No call for a lynching if some are wide of the mark :).

Shimmergloom
06-08-2011, 12:25
if getting solid rumours 4 months ahead of a release is what you want out of a hobby..play xbox games. that way you can watch the trailer, watch the designer interviews etc.

Thanks, it's what everyone is already doing. Because microsoft can put out a machine that every person I know has had break on them and yet people are willing to re-buy it. And why?

Because game developers know how to market their products and drum up excitement so that people are willing to shell out $$$ months in advance(even a year or more sometimes) to reserve games.

BBWags
06-08-2011, 12:40
I really enjoy rumors and I miss the volume of rumors we used to have. Then again, I do tend to run to being obsessive about such things :-) in the end, some people like spontonaety (sp) and complete surprises while others will drool and obsess over a new release for six months beforehand if given the option. My opinion is that the latter far outweighs the former and so more rumors would help rather than hinder GW's sales. Then again, maybe GW's own marketing and demographic research indicates something else.

I think the biggest downfall, however, is something that has been mentioned a few times already: saving up money. If I have a vague idea that wood elves are coming out early next year, but no confirmation and very little idea what the release might look like, any number of shiny baubles (computer games, mtg cards, or even stopping for fast food on the way home from work) which present themselves in the meantime will likely take precedence and eat my cash. But if I know when the release date is and have a decent idea what's coming, I'll start saving now and nothing except GW is going to get that money. So, at least in my case and for people like me, every one wins! We get drool worthy candy in the meantime and they get a bucket-full if cash at release time.

fruitystu
06-08-2011, 13:15
Subjective opinion incoming!

When the last Nid Codex was released, due to problems with the printing, very few people actually saw the product before the release date. And the Store I was working in had an incredible weekend. We sold out completely on the Gribbly nasties, as we sold them purely on aesthetics and 'groovy' factor of the models.

The games we had that weekend were equally awesome, as nobody really knew what the Nids were capable of, the book not having been rubbished online for several weeks.

Clearly this is very anecdotal, and hardly representative, but I think it's worth considering!

Barry "the blade"
18-08-2011, 07:39
Well as a fallow up to when I started the thread.... In the end I continued to keep track of the rumor thread, and still purchased a battalion + a box of bulls. I'll be happily buying the book asap as well despite being informed on it's contents.

Avian
18-08-2011, 09:43
I had no interest in the TK or Storm of Magic things that were just dumped on us, but all these Ogre rumours has me really interested in the new book.

Stupid GW.

EmperorNorton
18-08-2011, 10:48
I had no interest in the TK or Storm of Magic things that were just dumped on us, but all these Ogre rumours has me really interested in the new book.

Stupid GW.

Same here, although I'm not sure how much of my reaction is to blame on the fact that I was already interested in Ogres before and don't care much for the Tomb Kings.
Anyway, I can't wait to get my hands on the new book.

ewar
18-08-2011, 11:42
Way to have the opposite effect that you intended, GW.

You don't know that though - they don't do this just to spite us you realise?

Mark Wells has stated publicly that they get better sales when there is less information leaked in advance.

So their decision is completely understandable, despite the anecdotal evidence here of a handful of people (presumably the vocal minority) saying it's ruined their spending plans.

It's annoying for me personally, as it's fun to find out the info in advance, but if it makes sense commercially for them then I can see it's a perfectly reasonable course of action for them to take.

Avian
18-08-2011, 12:09
You don't know that though - they don't do this just to spite us you realise?

Mark Wells has stated publicly that they get better sales when there is less information leaked in advance.
Corporate blabber, nothing more. :eyebrows:
Their lates annual report shows that after they reduced the promotion of upcoming releases, sales have been DOWN.

ewar
18-08-2011, 13:07
Corporate blabber, nothing more. :eyebrows:
Their lates annual report shows that after they reduced the promotion of upcoming releases, sales have been DOWN.

Avian you seem like a sensible chap - do you honestly think that GW have looked at their sales data, compared the information to how much pre-release info was leaked and then taken the exact opposite course of action in order to deliberately reduce their sales? Honestly?

I can understand GW bashing some of the time, but that is frankly ridiculous.

To back this up, they had a weak first half and strong second half last year, implying that this has worked (as part of their overall strategy, given that it would be difficult to separate it from their other actions).

Jind_Singh
18-08-2011, 18:43
Personally speaking I prefer it when the White Dwarf (month before) told me what was happening - I liked looking at the pictures.

A month before was fine - it gave me time to get excited, make plans, save money - now it just comes so fast you can miss out if you blink!

I don't care for rumors as I always like to wait for the book to come out in the stores before I pay any attention to it, but I do miss seeing pictures in advance in White Dwarf....

Avian
18-08-2011, 20:12
Avian you seem like a sensible chap - do you honestly think that GW have looked at their sales data, compared the information to how much pre-release info was leaked and then taken the exact opposite course of action in order to deliberately reduce their sales? Honestly?
No, I think they thought it would increase sales and when it turned out afterwards that it didn't, they didn't want to admit it.

In any case, it's difficult to pin down exactly what makes a line sell more - just because army A sells more than army B (or some previous incarnation of army A) doesn't mean that the way they promoted the release was the thing that made the differnence. It might just as well be the look of the minis.

And, as I said, sales aren't up.

spikedog
18-08-2011, 20:34
I hate not having the chance to read through loads of people's wish lists as if they are fact and then seeing blurry pictures of models taken at shows, so much so that when I don't see rumors not only am I not spending any money ever again on GW products but I am burning all my old models, beating up children outside GW and burning theirs too. That will teach those horrible people at GW for trying to protect their interests!

(Actually I quite like discovering new things are coming out and not having to wait 6 months to actually buy them so for me it is making me more excited)

BaSe
18-08-2011, 21:05
I think I agree (yes think) apart from the Black Box. That should be in stores and the models shown just before the pre orders are up. That would only increase orders surly.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=54.077240,-2.842817

ewar
18-08-2011, 23:30
No, I think they thought it would increase sales and when it turned out afterwards that it didn't, they didn't want to admit it.

In any case, it's difficult to pin down exactly what makes a line sell more - just because army A sells more than army B (or some previous incarnation of army A) doesn't mean that the way they promoted the release was the thing that made the differnence. It might just as well be the look of the minis.

And, as I said, sales aren't up.

Each to their own I suppose - but I'm fairly sure an international corporation isn't going to restrict information release just to cut their proverbial noses off.

As for sales, they were up in the second half of FY10/11, which does coincide with the restriction on leaked pre-releases. But like I said, and you agreed with, it's very difficult to isolate which conditions contribute to sales.

Regardless of that, GW are the ones with the data and if they say it increases sales, then more power to them - I want them to sell as much as possible to keep the hobby healthy.

Gorbad Ironclaw
19-08-2011, 07:32
Not really playing the game any more, but sort of drifting around on the edges to keep an eye on things (who knows, I might return at some point) the lack of rumours/discussion/buzz makes it considerably less interesting and makes it much more likely I just won't think about it at all. The "surprise" factor isn't working for me. If you don't tell me what you are doing I'm not going to care.

mdauben
19-08-2011, 15:54
Personally, it kills much of my anticipation and excitment for new releases. Previously, when you actually knew things ahead of time I found it really built the excitement for the new releases. Now, I am much more likelty to go "Eh, what?" whenever new stuff comes out. YMMV. :rolleyes:

I remember the second to the last Games Day I attended a number of years ago. In addition to all the games, tables, Golden Daemon, and FW, they had four different seminars (WFB, 40K, LOTR and SG) on plans for the comming year. They had pics of models planned for release the next couple months, concept art for further out, planned release schedules (or at least release order), and other stuff. I left that GD so excited and eager for GW that I spend more money on gaming that year than I have spend before or since.

Tregar
19-08-2011, 16:54
The lack of rumours made me more excited for the actual RUMOURS that did eventually appear! Actual rumours, to whet our apetites, would have done wonders. I thought it was fantastic when the TK were announced 3 months in advance, with small pictures of the figures included. Now although I'm excited for the Ogres on their sheer merit, it's not because of GW's rumour policy, I'll say that much ;)

amysrevenge
19-08-2011, 19:07

Stupid GW.

But then, what you are saying effectively is that if the new ogres went on sale tomorrow you'd stop being interested in them, while if they wait until October you'll be all over it.

I mean, that's functionally what the difference is. TK went on sale a short time after the rumours were fairly well confirmed. OK are slated to go on sale a few months after the rumours are fairly well confirmed.

I still contend that as August turnes to September, and September turns to October, droves of people will lose interest in the upcoming OK release and turn their eyes to speculation on the following release. Folks who would buy OK tomorrow if they were for sale will instead spend their hobby money in a different direction and/or amount once October rolls around and the "I thought they released those things ages ago" OK finally become available.

Scribe of Khorne
19-08-2011, 19:13
Dont really care for the black boxed stuff, but let the rumours (leaks) flow imo. I want to know what is coming, when, and how much it will cost the further ahead the better.

eron12
19-08-2011, 20:59

Well this is the same company that resolves continued sales decreases through extra price hikes. I'm not saying they are doing it here, but it wouldn't be the first time GW course of action has been the opposte of common sense.

Shimmergloom
19-08-2011, 23:37
That will teach those horrible people at GW for trying to protect their interests!

Yeah, because no one ever wants to purchase anything unless they never see it beforehand and just happen to stumble upon it in a store on release date.

I mean when I saw the Avenger's trailer a while back, I could only think about what a mistake it was for Marvel to even let us know an Avenger's movie was coming out at all.

I'd much rather just go to the theater and be taken by surprise that the movie existed.

Avian
20-08-2011, 11:06
But then, what you are saying effectively is that if the new ogres went on sale tomorrow you'd stop being interested in them, while if they wait until October you'll be all over it.
Interest is not an on / off thing. I am unimpressed with your strawman argument. :eyebrows:

Lars Porsenna
20-08-2011, 14:40
In a word: no. I like having good information about releases, as this assists in planning purchases, and even what armies I play (we run a campaign locally that last almost a year; lack of information is annoying because I might "miss" on playing an army in favor of another). No matter how cool or exciting a release from another army is, if it is not one I collect, I'm probably not going to buy it...

As for rules, reading rules is not like watching a movie or reading a novel. Rules are like reading a technical manual. I don't care if rules are spoiled.

Damon.

Ealdwulf
20-08-2011, 15:49

this pretty much sums it up for me too. I used to plan my purchases, organize funding, research etc. I really don't know why GW would be so tight lipped about things, it really just reduces their visibility with fans. Out of sight out of mind. And it gives us less time to prepare or plan on buying this stuff. It will hurt sales, no question.

Slug
20-08-2011, 22:36
I have 3 armies and may get a fourth. I'll buy everything I can/want for these armies and pretty well ignore anything related to the armies I don't collect. I don't really care for rumours because they're generally wishful thinking at best. I'd rather just wait until the facts come out, so the new GW policy doesn't bother me one little bit.

Slug

Wintermute
21-08-2011, 09:03
I think the current GW policy is counter-productive and will hasten the decline in their sales.

If a company cannot be bothered to actively promote its future releases and publish a release schedule several months in advance, like the majority of other companies, then I will be less likely to be interested in their products. I will me more interested in the companies who actively seek my interest by taking the time to advertise and promote their products in advance.

TsukeFox
21-08-2011, 09:30
Thank you to the GW spies out there tha share their info. Nice to know stuff prior to the release- which is always much much later