PDA

View Full Version : New Player - 1000pts High Elves

Mr. Shine
04-08-2011, 06:41
Hi everyone, my friends are all getting back into Fantasy and I'm rather left behind (having never joined them in playing Fantasy to begin with) but am keen to get involved. I've picked up the Island of Blood set mostly for the rules and plan to sell off the majority of the models.

Anyway, I've had many a thought about armies and I've always had a soft spot for High Elves. I've put together most of a list, but appear to have some points left over:

Heroes:

Mage - 145pts
-Level 2
-Silver Wand

Core:

24x Spearmen - 250pts
-Full Command

Special:

14x Sword Masters of Hoeth - 240pts
-Full Command

14x White Lions of Chrace - 240pts
-Full Command

Rare:

Great Eagle - 50pts

Total: 925pts

So you see I have 75pts spare. I'm thinking it should perhaps go on magic banners for my three units, and/or some more bits and pieces for my Mage or unit champions.

Any advice? Thoughts on the list in general? Ideas on what specifically to spend those points on?

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
04-08-2011, 08:00
Hi everyone, my friends are all getting back into Fantasy and I'm rather left behind (having never joined them in playing Fantasy to begin with) but am keen to get involved. I've picked up the Island of Blood set mostly for the rules and plan to sell off the majority of the models.

Anyway, I've had many a thought about armies and I've always had a soft spot for High Elves. I've put together most of a list, but appear to have some points left over:

Heroes:

Mage - 145pts
-Level 2
-Silver Wand

Core:

24x Spearmen - 250pts
-Full Command

Special:

14x Sword Masters of Hoeth - 240pts
-Full Command

14x White Lions of Chrace - 240pts
-Full Command

Rare:

Great Eagle - 50pts

Total: 925pts

So you see I have 75pts spare. I'm thinking it should perhaps go on magic banners for my three units, and/or some more bits and pieces for my Mage or unit champions.

Any advice? Thoughts on the list in general? Ideas on what specifically to spend those points on?

You could go with another Great Eagle & 25 pts. worth of magic items or cull 10 pts. from somewhere and include a Tiranoc Chariot in the force.

Personally if you have the figures I'd go with Reaver Bow for your mage for additional firepower, 2x 10 man units of Archers with musicians & standard bearers, the unit of Swordmasters above, the unit of White Lions above, and a Tiranoc Chariot at 1000 pts.

My suggestions has a very MSU feeling to it but it gives you options for range attacks & close combat in addition to magic. I hope that helps.

Trace07
04-08-2011, 16:03
Spearmen are nine pts so you can have 25 with full cmd for 250pts

Mr. Shine
04-08-2011, 22:13
You could go with another Great Eagle & 25 pts. worth of magic items or cull 10 pts. from somewhere and include a Tiranoc Chariot in the force.

I do like the chariot idea, as they're beautiful models and I gather fairly effective on the battlefield also.

Personally if you have the figures I'd go with Reaver Bow for your mage for additional firepower, 2x 10 man units of Archers with musicians & standard bearers, the unit of Swordmasters above, the unit of White Lions above, and a Tiranoc Chariot at 1000 pts.

The main reason I went with Spearmen is, as the above post says, a unit of 25 with full command is 250pts, or the 25% Core requirement, on the nose. My understanding from the advice out there is that High Elves' Core choices are fairly lacklustre, and should have fairly minimal points spent on them.

My other worry there is that if I go with Archers I won't have much in the way of an "anvil" unit, will I? I had intended that the Spearmen would be there to weather the storm while possibly providing a bunker or at least cover for my Mage, and when it came to combat it would trying to aim for Spearmen holding the front while my other units can crumble enemy units from the flanks.

Trains_Get_Robbed
05-08-2011, 01:39
Not a bad list by any means at all. If you had LSG, I would run them at smaller point levels just because they can do double duty. However, this being said I would cut Champs from both units and pick up a Tiranoic Chariot. This in addition to the Eagle will give you enough M varation that you can toy with tactical manuvouring etc. . . and break up the static nature involved with most infantry lists.

You can also try and cut out enough points to put in a Bolt Thorwer, at small points, they can have a much more devastating effect.

Mr. Shine
05-08-2011, 03:33
Not a bad list by any means at all. If you had LSG, I would run them at smaller point levels just because they can do double duty.

Considering I'll be using the IoB models to represent Spearmen anyway (because Spearmen models are awful...) this could be possible, but I'm conscious of the points cost for Sea Guard, and if I'm reducing numbers then I'm compromising my reason for having some form of spears for core at all - as an effective anvil extra numbers are definitely a bonus.

However, this being said I would cut Champs from both units and pick up a Tiranoic Chariot. This in addition to the Eagle will give you enough M varation that you can toy with tactical manuvouring etc. . . and break up the static nature involved with most infantry lists.

I wasn't sure about keeping a full command in the Sword Masters and White Lions. If it frees up the points for a Tiranoc Chariot then that's definitely one to consider!

You can also try and cut out enough points to put in a Bolt Thorwer, at small points, they can have a much more devastating effect.

I'm hoping to build off this list and I understand Bolt Throwers are easy targets at higher points games, right?

Another thought I was having is building up a unit of 20 Archers and running either 2x10 with Musician and Standard Bearer, or 1x20 with a magic banner to hit the minimum Core requirement. I'm just worried about the White Lions/Sword Masters not having Spearmen to support in combats... though Archers would be an obviously better Mage bunker, and may pick off enough in shooting to soften targets up.