PDA

View Full Version : Salamander question

vinush
04-08-2011, 21:25
Hi guys, quick question for you all.

I've recently started playing a Lizardmen army (typical game size is 1500 points).

My question is, would you say it's better to run two salamanders in a single unit, or as two separate units?

TYIA.

THE \/ince

Arli
04-08-2011, 22:15
The benefit comes from the shared handlers. Also, you get two shots at a single unit. In smaller games I would run them seperate with an extra handler. When you run a unit of 2, you can share all 6 handlers with the two sallies.

vinush
04-08-2011, 22:44
Thank you for the advice.

I only asked because in a recent game I used two in one unit and when I read the rules fully for them I realised that you fully resolve each salamander's shooting before moving on to the next in a unit.

IIRC, a unit takes a panic check as soon as the criteria for it to be triggered is met, meaning that if the first salamander causes even a single wound, then the target unit must check for panic.

If the unit then fails the check and flees, the rest of the unit is left to stand around doing nothing.

THE \/ince

tmarichards
04-08-2011, 23:16
2 singles are a pain to play against, a unit makes them easier to play against and pin down.

Arli
04-08-2011, 23:34
IIRC, a unit takes a panic check as soon as the criteria for it to be triggered is met, meaning that if the first salamander causes even a single wound, then the target unit must check for panic.

I always resolve both of the shots before doing the panic check. I do this because your salamander can only cause one panic check per phase. If the unit takes a casualty on the first wounds and passes the check, you cannot check for any subsequent casualties.

I look at the resolve all shots from each salamander as applying to eaten skinks. If one sally eats a skink, the next get to shoot (or eat some more skinks).