PDA

View Full Version : New to WHFB - 1500pt WoC army

muggetninja
05-08-2011, 01:25
Hi guys, I'm relatively new to Warhammer, have followed the franchise for years but only recently found the means to start up collecting.
I'll be starting out small playing with some friends in some 1500pt games to get us used to the rules etc, and I was looking for some feedback on the first list I've put together.
I'll be fighting against dwarves and O&G first up.

Sorc Lord l4, MoT, Homonculus, Stream, blood of tzeentch, enchanted shield, ironcurse icon

25 Marauders, FC, MOT, LA+Shields
20 Warriors Musician, SB, MoK, Halberds, Shields, Razor Standard

5 Knights, Musician, SB, MoN, Banner of Rage

5 Chosen, FC, MoK, Halberds, book of secrets (-probably death here)

Total 1488pts

I'm not sold on giving the chosen the bos, as I'm not sure i'll get the spells through the dwarves runesmith, but i was thinking i needed something to back up the sorc lord as he is my only hero...

any tips or tricks on how I should modify this/start again etc?

GenerationTerrorist
05-08-2011, 14:35
First of all, I wouldn't bother with the Chosen in either a game of this size or a unit of that size - They are best used on conjunction with a Warshrine, and 5 of them will die far to easily. Maybe with the saved points, bump up the Warriors or Marauders.

Also, switch Conjoined Homonculus for Third Eye of Tzeentch on your Sorcerer Lord - You already have +5 to cast, so will rarely need the extra +D3 (and risk of Stupidity) as often as you might think. I would be worried about his overall protection, so a stand alone Ward Save item would help with this. Enchanted Shield is proably a waste on him.

Other than that, the units give it the look of a pretty solid list to start with.

muggetninja
08-08-2011, 01:11
Would it be worth it at these points to drop the chosen and take an exalted/bsb and put him in with the warriors?

GenerationTerrorist
08-08-2011, 01:32
Absolutely. A BSB is a must these days, even for WoC.
My setup is: MoT, Shield, Talisman of Endurance, Sword of Might - 4 S6 Attacks and a 3+/4+ Save is pretty solid for 200pts. It is why many of us don't bother with Chaos Lords :-)

You might want to stick a Champion in the unit to take/issue Challenges that you don't want him to face. Nasty DE/Skaven Assasins, I'm looking at you....

muggetninja
08-08-2011, 01:54
isn't Talisman of Preservation+Sword of Might too expensive for the hero to take?

GenerationTerrorist
08-08-2011, 03:14
I meant Talisman of Endurance. Sorry about that!

muggetninja
08-08-2011, 05:11
All good, So how about this for an update then?

Sorc Lord l4, MoT, SoC, Blood of Tzeentch, Golden eye, Ironcurse Icon
Exalted hero BSB, sword of might, talisman of endurance, MoT, Shield

25 Marauders LA, Shield, FC, MoT (sorc goes here)
20 Warriors, FC, MoK, Halberds, Shields, razor standard
5 Knights, MoN, Musician, SB, banner of rage

Total 1500

Eta
09-08-2011, 12:09
The Golden Eye of Tzeentch is not needed when you plan to use the sorcerer in a unit. Add the Charmed Shield instead to ward off the stray cannon ball your underlings haven't warned you about ;).

I'd try to include at least two units of five Chaos Hounds into the list, especially when you are up against dwarfs. Every bullet / arrow shot at the hounds is not directed at your much more expensive warriors / knights. If the hounds are ignored, chances are that they will be able to take out a warmachine or at least hinder it from shooting for some time (as additional benefit, when the Dwarfs are shooting over the hounds at another unit, they will be at a very nice -2 to hit). Other than that, cheap redirectors and additional deployment drops are always useful.