PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf Folding Fortress Tactic

PurpleSun
05-08-2011, 05:38
I read on another website about this tactic for Wood Elves using the Folding Fortress and wondered what others thought of it.

It goes like this: You take your Lore of Life Spellweaver and give him the Folding Fortress. You also take a BSB and a 20 block of Glade Guard with the Springtide Banner (always stand and shoot even if enemy charges from close distance). You then throw up the Fortress in your deployment zone, toss the Glade Guard and Spellweaver in there, and also the BSB or just keep him nearby.

When an enemy unit charges the Fortress, you stand and shoot. You are steadfast in the Fortress and hopefully with Lore of Life and BSB, can easily hold out. When you win combat or lose but make your break test, the enemy unit is placed 1" away and is considered to have broken off the close combat. On your turn, shoot them. On their turn, stand and shoot again when they charge. Hold them off. Repeat ad infinitum.

Obviously, if the charging unit whoops your butt in the close combat, you might run out of elves to defend, but the hopes is that Regrowth and Flesh to Stone will prevent that.

Does this sound like an irritating strategy, or a completely legitimate one?

I've attached a picture of the Folding Fortress that I am building for my wood elves to play around with this.

Aluinn
05-08-2011, 06:29
I read on another website about this tactic for Wood Elves using the Folding Fortress and wondered what others thought of it.

It goes like this: You take your Lore of Life Spellweaver and give him the Folding Fortress. You also take a BSB and a 20 block of Glade Guard with the Springtide Banner (always stand and shoot even if enemy charges from close distance). You then throw up the Fortress in your deployment zone, toss the Glade Guard and Spellweaver in there, and also the BSB or just keep him nearby.

When an enemy unit charges the Fortress, you stand and shoot. You are steadfast in the Fortress and hopefully with Lore of Life and BSB, can easily hold out. When you win combat or lose but make your break test, the enemy unit is placed 1" away and is considered to have broken off the close combat. On your turn, shoot them. On their turn, stand and shoot again when they charge. Hold them off. Repeat ad infinitum.

Obviously, if the charging unit whoops your butt in the close combat, you might run out of elves to defend, but the hopes is that Regrowth and Flesh to Stone will prevent that.

Does this sound like an irritating strategy, or a completely legitimate one?

I've attached a picture of the Folding Fortress that I am building for my wood elves to play around with this.

I think it's legitimate (i.e. not cheesy), but I'm not sure that it's actually good. It might be good if for some reason your opponent had to deal with your tower, but this isn't the Watchtower scenario here. They can avoid it and just take the 20 shots per turn, which really don't hurt too badly, and give up on killing your characters. Admittedly this lets your Spellweaver cast without (combat) disruption, but that can be accomplished by having the Spellweaver run around on a horse anyway; there are some matchups where killing the enemy's Level 4 in combat isn't exactly a realistic goal regardless of them being in a funky tower or not.

It also means your Level 4 doesn't have Wand of Wych Elm, which should be a relief for the opposing wizard(s).

But hey, for a fun game, give it a try; it's at least a surefire way to protect Glade Guard, because I don't think there's ever a really great reason to assault the tower unless all the other WE units are dead or unreachable.

P.S. Your watchtower looks really good; great job!