PDA

View Full Version : Outfitting the High Elf Dragon

soviet
05-08-2011, 14:57
Hi,

I'm building the high elf dragon kit at the moment and I wondered which riders and equipment were best? I don't play fantasy, I just like the model, but it would be nice to have the option to expand it into a viable high elf army at some point in the future.

So, are any builds particularly bad or unusable?

Oberon
05-08-2011, 15:20
A prince with a lance or GW and a shield is never a bad choice if you really must get a HE dragon in your army. Wizards are a bit too exposed on the back of the dragon, and not too keen for close combat either.

winterking07
07-08-2011, 01:50
The GW prince is solid. If you have the points available, the Crown of Command is a great addition. Too often your dragonrider will charge an enemy unit, get challenged by the champion, and kill the champion with ASF. Then the dragon can't attack at all, and the unit wins through static combat resolution. Crown of Command helps you stick around and keep killing.

I personally think wizards make more sense on the backs of dragons (how is a elf with a sword going to reach the ground from atop a dragon's back?), but they definitely are rather fragile. The next time I field a dragon, I'm going to run it with a L4 Life archmage, and see if the Life buffs can keep dragon and rider alive long enough to do something useful...but I'm not terribly hopeful.

(Anyone else remember the special magic items from the Albion campaign? My dragon-riding prince is modeled to carry the flaming fusil or whatever it was called--the flamer--and I loved flying him about, dropping two flame templates at a time on hapless enemy units. Never was as effective as I hoped, but it felt good to try.)

Pyriel
07-08-2011, 04:39
may i ask something?... armour of kaledor gives 2+ save ... why cant ppl give it to a wizard atop a dragon for a 1+ save? is it a rule that mages cant wear armour? :P

enyoss
07-08-2011, 05:43
Mages can't wear armour and the Armour of Caledor explicitly says that the save it grants cannot be improved. So the whole idea is nixed I'm afraid.

slingersam
07-08-2011, 06:00
Plus the rider would still die to any cannon ball. At least a lord on a dragon can take a 4++, so that makes him mildly survivable