PDA

View Full Version : Penitent Engine Model

Sclep
06-08-2011, 01:15
I've searched the SoB rumours thread, but just to confirm, the two Penitent engine models in the white dwarf are the same kit, assembled differently? To what extent is the alternative one converted? It's looks like a nightmarish kit to put to gether regardless, but it's also pretty cool, so for me, if it can easily be made to look like the engine one one leg, it would be worth it.

Muddypaw
06-08-2011, 01:19
They are the same old Penitent models, just posed differently. The one leg look is rather nice but hard to pull off as it has a tendency to tip forwards if not balanced just right. Weights under the base help.

I am not a fan of finecast but for models such as this it's almost essential, unless given a plastic option.

Just think to the future and pray to the Emperor and GW HQ for plastics in 2012/13.

Sclep
06-08-2011, 01:41
Thank you very much. I can't see them not doing plastics when they release the proper codex in however long. I'm sure the stuff will look great, but I like metal, so I'm planning to pick up as many SoB things in the next couple of months as possible.

tuebor
06-08-2011, 14:28
I really wish they'd had Finecast when I bought mine. Assembling a metal Penitent Engine is an act of penance itself.

chromedog
07-08-2011, 04:55
It's only penance if you feel you have sinned.

:D

Otherwise, it is just a challenge or tribulation.

Spiney Norman
07-08-2011, 14:28
I've searched the SoB rumours thread, but just to confirm, the two Penitent engine models in the white dwarf are the same kit, assembled differently? To what extent is the alternative one converted? It's looks like a nightmarish kit to put to gether regardless, but it's also pretty cool, so for me, if it can easily be made to look like the engine one one leg, it would be worth it.

There are two "variants" of the penitent engine, basically the same kit with either a male or female "pilot".

I'm also hoping for a finecast model

lasergreger
07-08-2011, 15:31
GW would be foolish not to release it in FC. With the chapter approved codex it would certainly boost sales.

Chem-Dog
07-08-2011, 15:57
Nah, they'll leave it as is till the SoB get a Codex Book. Then I'd expect the "Sentinel on crack" to get a plastic kit.

lasergreger
07-08-2011, 18:55
True thats a safe bet. But FC isn't really new models, and since they seem to aim to replace metal, they could just prioritise the engine to come with the WD stuff.

Here's hoping I guess :)

Eddie Chaos
07-08-2011, 20:09
I used a penitent engine for a chaos dreadnought conversion and I gotta say it was the most difficult assembly I've experienced. Finecast would be ideal

fruitystu
07-08-2011, 20:25
Guy at my local store did an awkward looking pin, drilling through the hip, and out the otherside, to hold the legs in place.

Not something I'd relish myself!

Haravikk
08-08-2011, 11:35
I think a plastic kit is a must, and probably has a good chance whenever sisters get updated properly. But in the short-term, I'd expect a Finecast Penitent Engine, which should be a lot easier to build.

That said though, the heft of the metal model is a lot more satisfying. I've three old metal Dreadnoughts and they're just way more fun to play with than the plastic ones.

kaffis
08-08-2011, 16:08
True thats a safe bet. But FC isn't really new models, and since they seem to aim to replace metal, they could just prioritise the engine to come with the WD stuff.

Here's hoping I guess :)
The point is, that finecast does require casting a new mold (from the same dies they used to create the metal molds -- that is, they don't have to re-engineer or alter the die itself much), so there is an initial cost to converting a metal model to finecast; one that requires a fair number of future sales to make up (even with the finecast's reduced material cost).

If the plan is to replace the model with plastic, converting to finecast in the interim doesn't make sense, because they won't get a long enough lifetime out of the finecast molds to justify the cost in creating them.

lasergreger
09-08-2011, 07:00
Well I was theorising from the assumption that if they did do a FC one, they would not bother doing a plastic one. When the sob codex finally come, I suspect GW will have added some other large monstrosity to make a plastic kit for them.