-Banner of Eternal Flame
Revered Guardian
-Potion of Toughness

6 Chameleon Skinks

6 Chameleon Skinks

Ancient Stegadon

2 Salamanders

2 Salamanders

So this list is basically points denial combined with strong magic and shooting. I usually run the TG and Saurus in horde although that changes depending on the matchup usually. Skinks and Salamanders run harassment duty along with the steg. The steg is there to provide charging support when a unit is stuck in combat with my big block and to whittle units down until they are chargeable. The bane head/cupped hands combo it to (depending on what miscast I get) either kill a level 2 or drop wizard levels/dimentional cascade a level 4.

My main fears with this list are steam tanks, anti-magic dwarves, and purple sun.

So any advice on how to change it?

vinush
07-08-2011, 08:45
What are the benefits of running your skinks as skirmishers over small cohorts?

Granted, you lose the blowpipes (which are really only any good with the bare minimum of modifiers), but you have the quick to fire javelins, hand weapon and shield. This makes them a bit more survivable if they do end up in combat.

You'll save 40 points by doing it that way too, so you could take banners in the skink cohorts (for the B&G scenario).

Also, this is just a personal thing, but is it safe to take your Slann as BSB? If you fail your break test (it is possible, however unlikely) then your Slann instantly dies thanks to the new rules, meaning your hideously expensive character is gone. I'd consider taking a separate BSB, even if it's just a Skink Chief that you upgrade.

I think you're missing out on the combat prowess of the Saurus Characters too. They rock, seriously.

Just my opinions.

THE \/ince

vinny t
07-08-2011, 15:52
What are the benefits of running your skinks as skirmishers over small cohorts?

I really like the skirmisher rules, unlimited reforms are absolutly amazing. I can manuver around frontages, set up bad charges, and basically be annoying.

Granted, you lose the blowpipes (which are really only any good with the bare minimum of modifiers), but you have the quick to fire javelins, hand weapon and shield. This makes them a bit more survivable if they do end up in combat.

I really like the blowpipes as usually I will be within 6 inches of whatever I choose to shoot at so I'll need 6's. And if I'm not within 6 inches I can choose to just single shoot anyway. Besides all I'm really going for with skinks is the poison so needing 5's to hit doesnt do much when shooting a T6 monster. And if skinks end up in combat they're dead, despite a 6+ AS and parry.

You'll save 40 points by doing it that way too, so you could take banners in the skink cohorts (for the B&G scenario).

With B&G I have 5 fortitude. That means my opponents need to kill my Slaan or both of my big units. Thats very hard to do. And if I take the banners that really does nothing for me CC-wise as skinks will die to a stiff breeze regardless of banners.

Also, this is just a personal thing, but is it safe to take your Slann as BSB? If you fail your break test (it is possible, however unlikely) then your Slann instantly dies thanks to the new rules, meaning your hideously expensive character is gone. I'd consider taking a separate BSB, even if it's just a Skink Chief that you upgrade.

I have a LD10 cold-blooded rerollable stubborn unit. I think there's a 0.13% chance of me fleeing if I lose combat, and with my magic and a 30-strong unit of TG I probably won't be losing combat too often. I dont think spending an extra 75 points for a fragile BSB to negate that 0.13% chance isn't really worth it.

I think you're missing out on the combat prowess of the Saurus Characters too. They rock, seriously.

I have been tossing around the idea of taking a Scar-Vet on Cold One with Charmed Shield, Burning Blade, and Dawnstone. He costs 82.5 Gnoblars so to get the points I'd have to drop the Stegadon. Then I could throw in another unit of skirmishers and make my Chameleons 3 units of 5. So
-Ancient Stegadon
+Scarvet on Cold One with Charmed Shield, Burning Blade, and Dawnstone
+10 skirmishers
+3 chameleon skinks
Do you think that would be a good change?

Just my opinions.

THE \/ince

Thanks for the suggestions