PDA

View Full Version : Minimum deployment width?

Aschen
07-08-2011, 23:08
I had an opponent tell me that I had to deploy my scout/skirmishers in at least a 5-wide formation. I've never read this before, but I could have missed it. I took his word for it as he is a rather seasoned player.

Is there a rule for this? Or a place in the BRB that says yes or no on this subject?

theunwantedbeing
07-08-2011, 23:19
There is no minimum width rule, its just the minimum width required to get rank bonus.

eron12
08-08-2011, 00:18
Yep one is the minimum width required. Of course you still have to follow the rules for ranks for skirmishers (only the back rank can have fewer models, middle ranks can't have more or less) My regular oppoent struggles with this concept, due to eidtion changes I believe. So if you want to deploy less than five all succeeding ranks hae to have the same less than five (except the back rank of course)

b4z
08-08-2011, 11:17
1 wide.

Tournament players 'conga line'

Meaning your unit width is 1 model

And your unit depth is like 20+ models

Effective at reducing the damage you take, since you are only one model wide, the opponent unit's attack's are severely limited.

But your unit kinda needs to be Stubborn to not suffer the ill-effects of combat resolution modifiers.

Perfect example is conga lined Dark Elf Black Guard.

It means your opponents unit will be stuck there for quite a long time, whilst you can maneouvre against it.

It is not used THAT frequently though.

T10
08-08-2011, 13:16
Notice that skirmishers will be Steadfast in forests, regardless of unit width. Useful with Dryads.

SkawtheFalconer
08-08-2011, 13:23
Also useful for getting into houses/watchtower first turn (deploy as normal, swift reform into a long line so that you're now within movement range of a house, move in).

Thank you Unseen Lurker for the tip, I'm nowhere near devious enough to come up with it!

Tregar
08-08-2011, 14:10
The Powers That Be really don't want this getting out, but while we're mentioning Skirmishers in a forest, also note that "lone infantry characters" are also stubborn in a forest. For example, a Slann...

Yrrdead
08-08-2011, 16:15
The Powers That Be really don't want this getting out, but while we're mentioning Skirmishers in a forest, also note that "lone infantry characters" are also stubborn in a forest. For example, a Slann...

It was true in 7th edition that lone characters were skirmishers....This is no longer the case.

Tregar
08-08-2011, 16:21
Indeed, they're not, and Slann never were, but my post still stands. Check the rules for forests!

Yrrdead
08-08-2011, 16:24
Right you are sir! Good find.

SilentCivilian
08-08-2011, 17:22
Its not just skirmishers that this is the case for. The 1 wide conga line seems to keep coming up with flagelants just now. People hated when night goblins used it to sling shot fanatics in 7th but i am supposed to be ok with it now that its helping my opponent? For the record i never used the goblin sling shot manouvre.

theunwantedbeing
08-08-2011, 17:29
People hated when night goblins used it to sling shot fanatics in 7th but i am supposed to be ok with it now that its helping my opponent?

That was an abuse of the way the wheeling rule was worded.
In 8th edition I'm fairly sure it was errata'd that wheeling counts as moving only as far as the outside model in the front rank of the unit, as such the goblin slingshot is now 100% legal.

b4z
08-08-2011, 19:21
Also useful for getting into houses/watchtower first turn (deploy as normal, swift reform into a long line so that you're now within movement range of a house, move in).

Thank you Unseen Lurker for the tip, I'm nowhere near devious enough to come up with it!

Swift Reform is still around the Centre of the Units original formation.
So its not AS easy as you make out. You still need to plan ahead in your deployment phase how best to take advantage of it.

It is possible though yes.

Having said that, there really should be a restriction whereby every model in the unit has to be within movement distance of the building.

Notice that skirmishers will be Steadfast in forests, regardless of unit width. Useful with Dryads.

But your skirmisher unit has to have the majority of its models in those woods to be Steadfast. Which is not easy when conga lining. Of course that depends on starting unit size.

decker_cky
08-08-2011, 22:50
Maneuvers cannot be used to move more than double a unit's movement value, so MV4 or lower units can't swift reform into a watchtower. Depending on the watchtower size, MV5 might be able to.