PDA

View Full Version : writing fluff for my GT empire army...

Grand Warlord
01-06-2005, 22:32
Ok can you all suggest some area of my army that I may want to further explore in my writing?

I was thinking of writing an overall piece on the Inquisiton (my themed empire army) and highlighting the characters... but I have never done this and I want it to come off as best I can so people dont think my army sucks...in words anyway lol..

anarchistica
02-06-2005, 00:05
Well, how much do you want to write? Depending on that, there are some forms i can think of as being appropriate:

1. General story about the Inquisition, with characters and perhaps unit champions/units being highlighted outside of the story. I.e. what you suggested.

2. The same, but integrating the units and characters into the story.

3. A history of your army, telling why and how it was formed, highlight characters and units.

4. Writing from the perspective of a certain person in your army, this could be the general, his righthand man, an elite Knight, a simple soldier or even a humble peasant.

5. Writing from the perspective of an outsider, like a villager who could just escape their wrath, a chaos cultist, the person who recruited them or allowed the general to form the army or perhaps the standard "storyteller", the old men who tells people about a legendary happening or group of people la Gilead's Blood.

6. Start your story right in the middle of the action, la Gaunt's Ghosts. Some people hate this, but it can be an effective and simple way to introduce the army and it's faces.

7. Plain descriptions of characters and units, without an actual story.

In any case, don't hold back posting and try to read some of the stuff posted here to give you insight in how stories are written (i.e. unlike when you read a book, stories here will usually have comments which can be handy).

Grand Warlord
26-06-2005, 15:10
I am trying to keep it to a page, typed... this is a page written so... i have a little room I suppose if i need to add anything, also i wrote this at work so if its jumpy i had to do it in my free time which is very scattered.:

Headed by Volkmar and his 4 chosen advisors, this 'Council of Faith', secretly developed the Holy Order of the Inquisition. The only other person who knows about this is the Emperor Karl Franz when he signed it's charter. It's task was originally to defend the Empire from foreign influences to it's stability. Then the 'Storm of Chaos' unleased the Ruinous Powers onto the world and their mission changed. According to it's newest charter, the Inquisition is now to defend against all influences to the Crown, both foreign and domestic.

The armies of the Inquisiton never lack in number. Those orphaned (whether by war, plauge, famine, etc..>) always seem to find their way into the ranks of the Inquisition. When their is nothing left it appears that the Inquistion finds those in need of the light. Everyone has a place in the ranks. Women and children are placed into medical duties tending the wounded, or even in the Assassins Corp. Men are the only ones allowed to fight in the mainstay armies.

There is a strict policy against wizards inside the Inquisition. All around it is a necessary evil. Each and every wizards under the Inquisition's Payroll is kept an eye upon in order to make sure they are not possessed by some chaos spirit. Any wizards showing sign of taint are executed immediately... there is a higher than average number of Warrior Priests for a military arm of the Emperor.

Cigaro
27-06-2005, 19:44
Very good fluff there. Maybe add in a wee bit about the characters.

anarchistica
15-07-2005, 00:39
Headed by Volkmar and his 4 chosen advisors, this 'Council of Faith', secretly developed the Holy Order of the Inquisition. The only other person who knows about this is the Emperor Karl Franz when he signed it's charter.
They are the only that know Volkmar started the army? Because all of it's soldiers know about it too...

The armies of the Inquisiton never lack in number. Those orphaned (whether by war, plague, famine, etc) always seem to find their way into the ranks of the Inquisition.
I would use rephrase this to stating that only the "pure" ones get to be in the Inquisition. Filthy mutants and such can join the ranks of the Plague God.

When their is nothing left it appears that the Inquistion finds those in need of the light.
Er, the Inquisition as a benevolent bunch? Seems highly unlikely.

There is a strict policy against wizards inside the Inquisition. All around it is a necessary evil. Each and every wizard under the Inquisition's Payroll is kept an eye upon in order to make sure they are not possessed by some chaos spirit.
A policy 'against' makes it sound like they're not allowed in the forces, shouldn't that be a policy 'redarding'.

there is a higher than average number of Warrior Priests for a military arm of the Emperor.
Link this. "Of course, because of religious background, a higher than average concentration of Warrior Priests of Sigmar (not of Ulric, i presume, or you'd need to get to Ar-Ulric into this) can be found in...blabla.

In any case, you seem to just be describing Witch Hunters, or was that the purpose? :)

Oh, and try to name some guy "Jozef Ratzinger" or something, the current pope used to be head of the organisation that used to be called the Inquisition.