PDA

View Full Version : Nordland: The underused province?

Antreus
08-08-2011, 10:34
Is it just me, or does it seem not that well represented in the background? Think about it. Westerland/Marienburg features in a bunch of books (Murder and Massacre in Marienburg, Warblade, Blades of Chaos etc). Reikland and Wissenland have the cities Altdorf and Nuln respectively so plenty going on there. Averland and Stirland, the lush lands of the South, have their goings on with proximity to Sylvannia or events in Sword of Justice/Vengeance. The other provinces (Talabecland, Hochland, Middenland, Ostwald and Ostermark) I see as the battle provinces and are usually featured in anything relating to incursions of Chaos. Even Solland/Sudenland has some legs to stand on with the whole Runefang incident. In my opinion only the Moot is as under represented as Nordland. Am I missing something vital here? For all intents and purposes, Nordland looks like a great little state, breeding some tough soldiers being on the North coast and all.

What do you all think?

Tregar
08-08-2011, 13:38
I agree, it does seem underused, I can't even name the capital! Other than one battle from Sword of Justice, I don't think I've ever seen it in a novel. Must be pretty ripe for future authors to do whatever the hell they like with it! Knowing Black Library they'll commission a pair of novels that run at odds with each other in close succession ;)

Antreus
08-08-2011, 13:50
The capital is called Salzenmund :)

Tregar
08-08-2011, 13:59
Yeah, never heard of it ;)

Verm1s
08-08-2011, 21:43
Was just flicking through The Uniforms and Heraldry of the Empire last night. It doesn't mention any specific events in Nordland, but...

The province of Nordland is famous for it's navy and it's heavily tolled coastal roads which provide safe passage for rich merchants travelling to Marienburg. Many sea fortresses and watchtowers line the coast, as raiders from across the Sea of Claws are all too common. The state troops of Nordland, including the Nordland Mariners, wear distinctive blue and yellow uniforms...
Traditionally the Elector Count of Nordland [currently Theoderic Gausser] is also the Prince of Marienburg, and this has been a point of contention since that city seceded from the Empire...

In addition to vast tracts of coastland Nordland is also a province of dense woods, including the Forest of Shadows and the Laurelorn Forest.

Many Nordland state troops rotate duty as part of a garrison for a watchtower and aboard ships patrolling the coastlines.

Personally, it's enough excuse for me to do a few navy-themed leadbelchers.

enyoss
08-08-2011, 23:07
Wasn't there a battle against Dieter Helsnitch which took place in Nordland? At least, I remember the Elector Count of Nordland popping up in the White Dwarf battle report of that scenario :p. I've always been quite partial to Nordland thanks to that little piece.

EDIT: I think it was the Battle of Bogenhafen.

Wesser
08-08-2011, 23:10
Its always a good idea to leave areas in a bit mystery, so have something to explore later. When the place becomes too crowded new stuff becomes hard to fit in.

Ogres are a good example. Their stomping grounds was previously inhabited by Chaos Dwarves and Hobgoblins.

The holdings of both races had to be shrunk considerably to make way for the ogres.

Leaving Nordland unused means there's no restrictions on what authors can do with it later

RobC
09-08-2011, 12:04
Nordland features heavily in Reiksguard.

Tregar
09-08-2011, 12:17
Oh yeah, Reiskgard, not Sword of Justice. But not all that heavily- just the intro, as a generic Marauder warband attacks a generic northern village.

RobC
09-08-2011, 12:23
Without wanting to give away any spoilers, a rather important plot element takes place in Nordland, the events of which crop up throughout the novel. But yeah, point taken.

theJ
09-08-2011, 15:35
It's present in WaR, although they didn't really make very much of it (a quick questing area, and that was it).

Grok
09-08-2011, 15:52
This was pretty cool, I didn't know anything about this province till now. I always wondered at the Naval strengh of the Empire, as it does have a long sea line but its rarely mentioned or talked about.

RobC
09-08-2011, 17:01
The Imperial fleet is based in Altdorf. Historically, it was based in Marienburg.

Grok
09-08-2011, 17:37
The Imperial fleet is based in Altdorf. Historically, it was based in Marienburg.
Maybe its their main base but with such a long shoreline they have to have meny more naval bases I would assume.

Easy E
09-08-2011, 19:12
Nordland sounds more like Man O' War territory, not so much WHF so I wouldn't be surprised if you would hear about Nordland more there.

I honestly don't remember.

Lyynark
09-08-2011, 19:31

The Imperial fleet is based in Altdorf AND Nordland :)

spetswalshe
09-08-2011, 22:33
Its always a good idea to leave areas in a bit mystery, so have something to explore later. When the place becomes too crowded new stuff becomes hard to fit in.

+1. Though personally I think it's just because Nordland is out of the way (sure you get Marauders, but they get pretty much anywhere and no Orc worth his choppa is going to go to a place whose only lootin' potential is fish and water that makes you sick) and has a faintly rubbish name. The naval/coastal theme also doesn't lend itself to Landhammer as well as the hick Ostlanders, hairy Middenheim/landers, woodsman Talabeclanders, gunslinging Nulners (though Wissenland as a whole doesn't see much action), Imperial Reiklanders and so on. I'm pretty sure the only reason the League of Ostermark gets any action is down to a double-whammy of lingering Mordheim and snappy uniforms.

The True Mooseman
09-08-2011, 23:42
Hell yes it's underused. For a start, it's pretty much the province with Marienburg in it (just don't let them catch you saying that!), and Marienburg is, for my money, the most interesting place in the Warhammer world. Then consider that it bears the brunt of a lot of the invasions of the Empire - seafaring Dark Elves and Norse really only have one place to land, after all, not to mention their borders with the wasteland and all the gribblies that live there. But they also have some major trade routes to protect, in the form of the Great North Road that connects Marienburg and Middenheim, and all the coastal territories that make up a substantial part of the Empire's fishing industry. Hell, as the main coastal region, I could see it being the only contact a lot of the smaller nations would have with the Empire. And they have a really cool colour scheme! A pretty fascinating place, I'd say.

Yeah, there's a reason my Empire army is from there.:D See the sig for more info (and ignore the liberties taken with background!)

AlphariusOmegon20
10-08-2011, 08:05
The Imperial fleet is based in Altdorf AND Nordland :)

Not to mention that most of the Empire's shipwrights and shipyards, along with the drydocks, are prolly based in Nordland.

CommanderCax
10-08-2011, 10:42
You are sort of right, but there are three main features in regard to the background of Nordland that make it rather interesting in my view.

First, the ocean-going fleet of the Empire has its anchorage at Dietershafen and Norden within Nordland. Neue Emskrank (as well as Salkalten) on the other hand failed miserably in establishing themselves as major ports. If I remember correctly Marienburg (i.e. its council of burghers and major trading houses) had a helping hand to get rid of potential contenders in the latter...

Second, the last Baron of Westerland (Graf Paulus van der Maacht), who died during the last Incurion of Chaos (in 2302 IC) without a heir, originated from a junior branch of the ruling house of Nordland and some say the current Count of Nordland (Grand Baron Theoderic Gausser) is nominally the ruler of Marienburg and is thus considered Duke of Marienburg (at least within the Empire).

Third, after the Skaven were routed by the forces of (then) Count Mandred von Zelt ('Ratslayer', 'Skavenslayer') of Middenheim in around 1111 IC, Emperor Mandred I. stripped the house of Hohenbach (Boris Hohenbach, known forever as Boris 'Goldgather' and Boris 'the Incomptent') of any honours by Imperial decree and declared the Grand Province of Drakwald dissolved, its land merged with Nordland (and Middenland). So part of Nordland consists of former Drakwald and as far as I know its inhabitants do not like their "new" province or its inhabitants that well.

RobC
10-08-2011, 11:08
Third, after the Skaven were routed by the forces of (then) Count Mandred von Zelt ('Ratslayer', 'Skavenslayer') of Middenheim in around 1111 IC, Emperor Mandred I. stripped the house of Hohenbach (Boris Hohenbach, known forever as Boris 'Goldgather' and Boris 'the Incomptent') of any honours by Imperial decree and declared the Grand Province of Drakwald dissolved, its land merged with Nordland (and Middenland). So part of Nordland consists of former Drakwald and as far as I know its inhabitants do not like their "new" province or its inhabitants that well.Would the vast majority of peasants care, or even know, after 1500 years?

MagosHereticus
10-08-2011, 11:10
considering the elector count of nordland *LOST* marienburg and half nordlands territory, the province is lucky to still exist

Tuttivillus
12-08-2011, 00:16
And Balthasar Gelt had put his sticky fingers into salzenmunds chests and turned whole gold into lead, which prevented civil strife and made elector count slim&sexy.:D

Okuto
12-08-2011, 02:57
I like being an underused province lol I play a Nordland force and I always liked to look at them as basically 30 year war swedes....it's the whole reason I picked them....

But yeah we aren't mentioned much except for the few norse raids, marienburg, etc.

Basically you think nordland you think the imperial fleet, marienburg, high toll taxes, ikea