PDA

View Full Version : 2500pts Vamps Vs Tomb Kings

Loopstah
08-08-2011, 12:15
I've got a battle vs Tomb Kings coming up and am trying to sort out a 2500 list to take against them.

I haven't played in a while and haven't seen anything of the new Tomb King book beyond what I've seen in WD so I'm a bit in the dark really.

EDIT: Updated

LORDS

Vampire Lord
Level 3
Dark Acolyte
Forbidden Lore
Lord of the Dead
Helm of Commandment
Cadaverous Cuirass
Skull Staff

445pts

I figure magic will be important so want a good caster lord. Not sure of the lore to take either Light or Fire?

HEROES

Wight King
BSB
Walach's Bloody Hauberk

125pts

Tomb Banshee

95pts

Wraith

60pts

Wraith

60pts

Wraith

60pts

Necromancer
IoN/VDM
Dispel Scroll

95pts

CORE

Skeletons x50
Full Command
Banner of Hellfire

430pts

Skeletons x25
Full Command
Spears

245pts

Bunker for the Lord, sits behind the horde of skeletons.

SPECIAL

Grave Guard x 24
Full Command
Great Weapons
Banner of the Barrows

485pts

RARE

Varghulf

175pts

Varghulf

175pts

Terrorgheist

225pts

TOTAL: 2487pts

Choices are a bit constrained by what I have model wise, the above list is pretty much my whole collection.

I don't have any Ghouls so they are a no go, I might have a Black Coach and a couple more Banshees if the post is quick, I also have a unit of 6 Black Knights and 5 Wraiths.

Anything I could do to improve the list? I'm assuming the howls from the Banshee and TG will be good against things like a Necrosphinx? Are flaming attacks worth it on the skeletons without a killy hero like a wraith with them? Should I drop a Necro for a wraith hero?

AM1640
08-08-2011, 22:48
Hi Am I missing something? What is a Terrorgheist, and why do you have the Tomb Banshee listed with your heroes?
I have enjoyed using Beast magic to augment units. You already are going to augment at least 1 unit somewhat with the helm why not go further. Even wyssan's wild form for +1 Strength and Toughness can turn skeletons into something durable and useful.
The rest of the army looks durable if not compact.
You may have trouble dealing with multiple warmachines as there is little that moves fast enough to get across the board quickly.
I would try and do a refused flank for deployment. Keep in mind that regular skeletons against elite enemy will be a combat resolution nightmare. Don't charge the grave guard into the flank of an opponent if they are fighting your skeltons to teh front. The enemy will likely kill so many skeletons that your grave guard will lose and start to crumble.

vinny t
08-08-2011, 22:58
Against TK I'd go with Light magic. Net on his heirophant's unit of archers and thats a lot of S tests, each one doing 2d6 S4. Also the terrorghast will wreck Sphinxs and the casket of souls. just watch out for lots of S3 shooting ignoring modifiers.

Tomalock
09-08-2011, 05:20
Hi Am I missing something? What is a Terrorgheist, and why do you have the Tomb Banshee listed with your heroes?

You are missing White Dwarf 379 (August 2011 issue). If you like VC at all it is a must buy (can't say that about most WDs but this one absolutely!). It contains the rules for the new Terrorgeist and hero Wraiths and Banshees.

CarlostheCraven
09-08-2011, 16:32
Hi

Can you fill us in at all on what to expect from your opponent in terms of army selection? It may help.

Anyways, this rambles a bit, but...

I have found that Wraiths are absolutely fantastic against the new TK. The Tomb Guard no longer have magical attacks, which greatly decreases the real threats that they have to deal with. They will wear down just about anything the TK have to offer. Unfortunately, adding 5 of them will require the loss of either the Terrorgheist or both Varghulfs in order stay within your rare allowance.

Other than that, I can't say that the Drakenhof Banner is worth it in this edition of the game. The 10 point solution (flaming banner) available to everyone combined with it no longer helping against lost combat res/crumbling means that is simply isn't worth it anymore. But, given your collection constraints, I am not sure what to recommend instead....

Wait - why not drop the Drakenhof Banner and add two wraith heroes to a unit instead? If you were to also toss the Periapt Necro and do a little trimming elsewhere, you could up that to 4 wraith heroes. You could then either concentrate them in your big block of skeletons or split them to bolster both of your combat blocks...

Cheers,
Nate

Loopstah
09-08-2011, 19:54
Hi

Can you fill us in at all on what to expect from your opponent in terms of army selection? It may help.

No idea what he has, I think he mentioned painting a sphinx of some sort, so I assume he has 1 or more of them.

Wait - why not drop the Drakenhof Banner and add two wraith heroes to a unit instead? If you were to also toss the Periapt Necro and do a little trimming elsewhere, you could up that to 4 wraith heroes. You could then either concentrate them in your big block of skeletons or split them to bolter both of your combat blocks...

Cheers,
Nate

That's a pretty good idea actually, I'll drop the Drakenhoff and the necro to put in 3 wraith heroes and give my BSB the Bloody Hauberk.

Loopstah
11-08-2011, 11:59
Now I've just become the owner of 30 Ghouls, should I drop the Skeleton horde down to a block of 25 and run 25 Ghouls as well?

Maoriboy007
11-08-2011, 21:36
Unfortunately its always better to take more ghouls over skellies.