PDA

View Full Version : Lore of Death, how does it work?

Oberon
08-08-2011, 19:12
So, a few questions about LoD spells:
1: can you use general's LD for the signature spell, by either the caster or the victim?
2: can you destroy a steam tank with any of the LoD sniping spells OR purple sun?
3: can I cast purple sun while I'm at combat?
4: can I cast putple sun so it will/might travel to unit in combat?
5: can I cast purple sun in any direction (after placing the template at the front), backwards/diagonally/sideways for example?

b4z
08-08-2011, 19:32
1. big debate about spirit leech. the crux of the issue revolves around the term 'unmodified leadership'
see my thread here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310222

2. purple sun is an initiative test. steam tank automatically fails initiative tests. p51 Empire Army Book

3. yes, perfectly legit, it is a magical vortex, just place template touching the casters base, in his front arc, nominate the direction, then roll artillery dice.

4. yes, perfectly legit, just nominate the direction.

5. yes, perfectly legit, just nominate the direction.

RanaldLoec
08-08-2011, 20:10
You can Target the steam tank with any of the lore of death spells including any that use LD, as the commander has a LD of 10.

Bear in mind it auto passes any characteristic tests though, except initiative as B4Z pointed out.

sulla
09-08-2011, 07:01
None of the lore of death spells are characteristic tests except for purple sun, so that's not a problem.

ihavetoomuchminis
09-08-2011, 08:59
1. big debate about spirit leech. the crux of the issue revolves around the term 'unmodified leadership'
see my thread here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310222

2. purple sun is an initiative test. steam tank automatically fails initiative tests. p51 Empire Army Book

3. yes, perfectly legit, it is a magical vortex, just place template touching the casters base, in his front arc, nominate the direction, then roll artillery dice.

4. yes, perfectly legit, just nominate the direction.

5. yes, perfectly legit, just nominate the direction.

i'm not sure you're right with some of the answers. I don't have my BRB here, but in 3. i think that magical vortex dont mention the exception to the normal rules about casting in combat. Only buffs and curses mention it. So no, you can't cast it in close combat.

in 4. you can only do that as long as it doesn't touch friendly models.

JustinDonnelly
09-08-2011, 09:40
i'm not sure you're right with some of the answers. I don't have my BRB here, but in 3. i think that magical vortex dont mention the exception to the normal rules about casting in combat. Only buffs and curses mention it. So no, you can't cast it in close combat.

Vortexes can do whatever the caster decides to do with them. There is nothing to stop a wizard sending the vortex straight backwards, thus hitting himself and his unit!

Oberon
09-08-2011, 10:36
Right, I might as well hint why I'm asking this. Normally I wouldn't care as I use shadows/life as my main lore and others to help it, but not death anymore. BUT, an uncomped tournament is coming, and I'm pretty much helpless against a few specific builds that I know are coming (grey seer with 13th spell, steam tank, 20+ ogre bulls with lots of characters and runemaw BSB so no pit of shades today), so I had to think of something else to counter them. I think my units can handle themselves even without shadows' hexes, and I can't use pit of shades so this led to lore of death. I wanted to find out just what I could do with the spells, but apparently it's still unclear for others too. Oh dear.

I'm leaning towards the ruling that both the caster and the target use their own LD, so generals/other characters in the unit don't help, but someone might object to that as seen on the topic b4z posted. :/

JustinDonnelly
09-08-2011, 11:24
From the errata 1.5 (but was in previous versions also). The top one is in answer to a previous question. The others are useful to know :)

Q: Can magical vortex spells be used in such a way that they affect
friendly models? (p31)
A: Yes.

Q: If a magical vortex ends its move over a unit it is placed 1"
beyond the unit. If this is also over a unit should it be placed 1"
beyond that unit, repeating the process until it is not touching any
models? When this happens, I assume models between where the
magical vortex ended its move and where the template is placed are
not affected by the spell? (p36)
A: Yes to both questions.

Q: Are units that move through the template for a magical vortex
affected by it? (p36)
A: Yes

GodlessM
09-08-2011, 12:20

None of the restriction you have claimed above are mentioned in the rules. A vortex goes in a direction, not against a target, and can indeed be cast out of close combat, in fact any spell that doesn't ned LOS can be cast out of CC.