PDA

View Full Version : Need some help deciding on a color scheme!

Doskorg
10-08-2011, 05:27
I am thinking of starting a dark elf army and can't decide on a awesome looking color scheme. I was thinking a deep blue as most of the cloth with like dark purplish/pinkish highlights on the shield and metal. I am open to all options and opinions and if possible pictures of some core models and heroes as examples of what you suggest.:)

mrtn
10-08-2011, 11:48
I don't think that dark blue combined with purple or pink sounds very good, but then I'm just a schmuck on the internet, and it's your money and your army.

Von Wibble
10-08-2011, 13:06
What you are describing sounds more like a dark elf colour scheme.

For high elves, if you are going for dark blue, then white and gold could be good colours to combine. This is the colour scheme my Tomb Kings have at the moment. I always think white should be part of a high elf colour scheme.

Doskorg
10-08-2011, 16:50
Thanks for the input.

vinush
10-08-2011, 21:40
High Elf models don't look too good with a dark colour scheme, I don't know what it is about them that doesn't suit dark colours, but there is something.

THE \/ince

Goldenwolf
10-08-2011, 22:25
I think that neon green and orange for that Miami South Beachish feel to High Elves would be funny as hell.

Doskorg
10-08-2011, 23:58
That would look crazy.

Doskorg
11-08-2011, 00:26
What are the opinions about these schemes:

1. Red white blue
2. Red and green
3. Green and white

Any opinions are welcome.

mrtn
11-08-2011, 00:57
1: Depends on the amount of each colour. I'd make either red or blue a spot colour (i e use it sparingly on feathers or something), otherwise good.
2: Could be good, could look like a Christmas tree.
3: Probably good, depending on which green it is.

Doskorg
11-08-2011, 01:01
Thanks for the imput on those schemes.

Mace1982
11-08-2011, 01:02
well basically there are 3 main colours that 99.9% of all high elves have and that is

1) White
2) Silver
3) Gold.

then you have a choice fo the trim and plume etc colour usually this is chosen form one of the following

Red
Green
Blue
Yellow
Purple

not to say that you have to do it like this but high elves are all about silver white and gold, i tried a caledor themed high elf army and went for red cloth, after much pissing about i realised that they just kept looking like the dark elves dodgy uncle that they dont leave alone with the kids :p

Doskorg
11-08-2011, 01:19
I see what you mean.

Von Wibble
11-08-2011, 11:48
well basically there are 3 main colours that 99.9% of all high elves have and that is

1) White
2) Silver
3) Gold.

then you have a choice fo the trim and plume etc colour usually this is chosen form one of the following

Red
Green
Blue
Yellow
Purple

not to say that you have to do it like this but high elves are all about silver white and gold, i tried a caledor themed high elf army and went for red cloth, after much pissing about i realised that they just kept looking like the dark elves dodgy uncle that they dont leave alone with the kids :p

Exactly my thoughts. Though my ellyrion reavers and shadow warriors do use light grey rather than white.

Red white and blue could be OK as long as one of red or blue is just used for gemstones or something, pretty much as mrtn says.

Red and green doesn't work for me at all I'm afraid.

Green and white - this is a good idea. Trouble is gw seem to have removed all the interesting green paints - I'd recommend jade green, scaly green or emerald green but these don't exist any more.

Doskorg
11-08-2011, 15:36
Thanks for the advice.

Tuttivillus
11-08-2011, 17:32
Green and white is fantastic idea. Actually i'm tired of GW painting hordes of Elves white and blue, And those red dragons looks like from completly other army. Green and white, Absolutely ! Good luck!

I also join the Green & White fanclub, you can easily get a really pleasant looking army. I know, because I've painted an Empire army in green and white many years ago.:D

Kaiserdean
11-08-2011, 21:30
I just started a HE army as well and I'm going with a "Bollywood" theme and just mixing and matching as many colors as I can.

Orange and Pink.
Blue and Purple.
Green and Orange.
Red and Yellow.

I'm not even going to try to make a unit cohesive, I'm just going for color.

cyberspite
11-08-2011, 22:19
I reckon dark blue robes and purple-washed silver armour could look pretty good if you did it right. But then if you're good enough at painting most colour schemes can look good, I've seen some awesome minis using colours I wouldn't even think of using.

Voss
11-08-2011, 22:36
High Elf models don't look too good with a dark colour scheme, I don't know what it is about them that doesn't suit dark colours, but there is something.

THE \/ince

I disagree. They look fairly fantastic in black and grey offset by shiny metal. Its far superior to the overly bright colours they are usually saddled with.

Doskorg
11-08-2011, 23:24
Thanks for all the advice guys.