PDA

View Full Version : Sisters of Battle email

Voss
10-08-2011, 14:58
Well, apparently the news is that the FULL RANGE of Sisters of Battle is available for the new WD codex.

Shame everything is metal, there are _no_ boxed sets, and each individual model ranges from $6.75 per basic sister (bought as a 3 pack) to $9.90 for each special weapon, to $12.25 for sister superiors and $14 per heavy weapon.

And, oh yes, they all have the Citadel 'Direct only' tag.

So that pretty much settles the question of whether their would be new plastics or even finecast versions any time soon. The answer is no, definitely not this year.

Adepta Sororitas
The Sisters of Battle, an elite Sisterhood of warriors, possess a fanatical devotion to the Emperor, and this month, their faith has certainly been rewarded. Not only has part one of the new Sisters of Battle Codex been published in White Dwarf, but they now have their own section on games-workshop.com. It's never been easier to buy the entire range of Sisters of Battle models.

The Full Range
Whether you're looking to start a new Sisters of Battle army, or wanting to add to your existing one, games-workshop.com has the full range of miniatures available to you. Head on over now to see the Sisterhood in all its glory.

Robin Cruddace's Sisters of Battle
Robin Cruddace, scribe of the new Codex, showed off his resplendent Sisters of Battle army on What's New Today, where he preaches the good word in the name of the Emperor. Check out why Robin is devoted to this inspirational army.

kargenetic
10-08-2011, 15:01
When I opened my email this morning, I was a sad panda. Ah well, hopefully they'll get the BA treatment soon with a whole codex and an updated model range. Maybe this was a ploy to clear stock?

Shatterclaw
10-08-2011, 15:05
There nothing up on the pre-orders either.

That doesn't mean they don't have a new plastic box set ready to go, there just not putting it out there yet.

Its kind of a wise move for them to dust off the old range and put it up for sale, so that they can capitalize on knee jerk reactions of "I got to get some!"

Well, apparently the news is that the FULL RANGE of Sisters of Battle is available for the new WD codex.

Shame everything is metal, there are _no_ boxed sets, and each individual model ranges from $6.75 per basic sister (bought as a 3 pack) to $9.90 for each special weapon, to $12.25 for sister superiors and $14 per heavy weapon.

Voss
10-08-2011, 15:07
There nothing up on the pre-orders either.

No need for preorders. They are just directing attention (and links) to the Sisters section of the website. This is all existing stuff.

Shatterclaw
10-08-2011, 15:10
An cleaver observation. It would Make sense that they cleared all the old back stock out first.

I would have thought that they would have done this some time ago. Grant it, it is GW so who knows what they are thinking. I wonder if the White Dwarf with the temp codex will give us a hint on when or if new plastics are truly on the way.

When I opened my email this morning, I was a sad panda. Ah well, hopefully they'll get the BA treatment soon with a whole codex and an updated model range. Maybe this was a ploy to clear stock?

Spiney Norman
10-08-2011, 15:12

So using blood angels as an example we're looking at what 2 years or 3 before sisters get the models to make the army actually feasible again.

I love the line "It's never been easier to buy the entire range of Sisters of Battle models". I remember a time when it was MUCH easier to buy SoB models, when they came in squad boxes of 10, because thats when I bought all of mine...

Shatterclaw
10-08-2011, 15:13
Well yes, at this point there is no need for preorders.. I saw the emails this morning, and like many that heard the rumor of Plastic sisters, wanted to see if they had placed any in the preorders.

This doesn't confirm or disprove that new plastics for the sisters line are coming out with the White Dwarf codex. They may very well wait till the second half of the codex before the plastics hit.

No need for preorders. They are just directing attention (and links) to the Sisters section of the website. This is all existing stuff.

Voss
10-08-2011, 15:20
Well yes, at this point there is no need for preorders.. I saw the emails this morning, and like many that heard the rumor of Plastic sisters, wanted to see if they had placed any in the preorders.

This doesn't confirm or disprove that new plastics for the sisters line are coming out with the White Dwarf codex. They may very well wait till the second half of the codex before the plastics hit.

I think you are being overly optimistic. This is the extent of the Sisters release for the WD codex. They've officially ditched the witchhunters section for good, and announced that this is what you can get if you want to do Sisters with this 'codex'.

They wouldn't be pushing these old metals if the plastics were coming out next month, as that would adversely affect sales of the new plastics. Honestly they mention the 'full range' and 'entire range' too many times for me to even think there is new stuff coming next month.

I think the best you can hope for is a real codex and real release next year (but, of course, no guarrantee on that)

Hrw-Amen
10-08-2011, 15:26
Very disappointed. I held off buying any GW models for the last couple of months so as to have money for new SOBs when they came out, now there are not any. I can't see them bringing out anything new now otherwise they would not be trying to sell the old ones, at least not at those prices.

Avian
10-08-2011, 15:33
It shouldn't have surprised anyone that a WD list didn't come with minis.

Gaz Taylor
10-08-2011, 15:46
I think this suggests that we will be seeing the Sisters of Battle at some point sooner rather than later as the majority of the models are metal rather than finecast. I have no idea how much it costs to redo the molds for finecast but I imagine that there is a cost attached and the fact that GW aren't doing this does say we will see Sisters soon (12-18 months)

Winkie Jethro
10-08-2011, 15:46
C'mon, Plastic chicks with Bolters.... how can that NOT make money!?!

eldargal
10-08-2011, 15:55
That is consistent with other rumours of a proper book next year.

N3p3nth3
10-08-2011, 16:17

I think it's a bit of a surprise they didn't finecast them. Agree that it must mean they have quite a few of them hanging around.

KarlPedder
10-08-2011, 16:18
I think next year is overly optimistic, if they were coming next year I doubt they would have bothered with the WD dex now. No I will be highly suprised if we see a "proper" SoB dex until late 2013 at the earliest

eldargal
10-08-2011, 16:24
That isn't want the rumours (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5592008&postcount=469) indicate:

Going by that, it's possible we may see a full Sisters codex in early 2012. Naturally, this is an assumption based on that post, so for the love of Khaine don't take it as a rumour!

This is at least my understanding.

Afaik that's exactly what sisters will get, but that does not mean that there aren't some new miniatures in the future. Just to tell you: I was told that there won't be any sisters miniatures alongside with this WD release. They are not that far away, though.

Voss
10-08-2011, 16:25
I think next year is overly optimistic, if they were coming next year I doubt they would have bothered with the WD dex now. No I will be highly suprised if we see a "proper" SoB dex until late 2013 at the earliest

Its rather up in the air, honestly. The precedents include the BA one (which was several years) the Warriors of Chaos (which was a matter months) and the Wood Elf (which... I don't remember what the turn around time was. A year or so?)

Since the plastics are rumoured to be in development (and may or may not still have problems) next year isn't entirely unrealistic, but its hard to say for sure without inside knowledge.

Inquisitor Engel
10-08-2011, 16:57
Are we talking about Sisters of Battle, or Kroot Mercenaries?

Sounds like they want this list to die for now.

Eddie Chaos
10-08-2011, 17:03
Bearing in mind that I am an ignorant fool, I predict a new Sisters Codex within a year and a half.

WallWeasels
10-08-2011, 17:08
Are we talking about Sisters of Battle, or Kroot Mercenaries?

Sounds like they want this list to die for now.

As I have been saying: from what the rumors we know this "release" was not about sisters at all. It was a delaying tactic for the fact that their release window was left open because necrons had to be delayed. This release, even if it is crap (with no models), takes the spotlight away from that delay. It isn't about shelving sisters or secretly hating sisters, I think we just got the bad end of a crumby deal of "codexes left to update" in the discussion.

Voss
10-08-2011, 17:11
Necrons were delayed?
Even if that was the case, delaying just a month doesn't make much sense, and GW generally has releases for 11 out of 12 months (and the 12th is intentionally left blank), and they are planned out long before. There isn't any indication that sisters weren't planned this way. In fact, Sisters are effectively taking up no release slots whatsoever. They are in addition to the VC/daemons/DE/terrain models coming out this month and the ogres next month.

I think its more that they wanted to tick the 'updated before 6th edition' box, get rid of the witchhunter book, and did so in the easiest way possible. They'll do it for real later.

Schelle
10-08-2011, 17:37
Personally I like a good joke once in awhile and this is no exception, had a good laugh with this one

WallWeasels
10-08-2011, 17:46
Necrons were delayed?
Even if that was the case, delaying just a month doesn't make much sense, and GW generally has releases for 11 out of 12 months (and the 12th is intentionally left blank), and they are planned out long before. There isn't any indication that sisters weren't planned this way. In fact, Sisters are effectively taking up no release slots whatsoever. They are in addition to the VC/daemons/DE/terrain models coming out this month and the ogres next month.

I think its more that they wanted to tick the 'updated before 6th edition' box, get rid of the witchhunter book, and did so in the easiest way possible. They'll do it for real later.Save for the rumors from those whom have given reliable information stating that sisters have had plastic sprues completed and box designs done. We had all the information for a release in 2012 sometime and this codex really bares no difference in that. There was no reason for this ruleset to exist and just "getting rid" of copy units has never been a priority for GW before. Allies were, already, removed from the online PDF and disallowed in the last major GW tournaments in the first place.

There is more indication that sisters were not planned this way from the start than just "oh durp lets release a WD codex that intends to sell no models." Theres a reason for no models, no finecast or even a come back of the 10 metal sisters box. The ONLY way to buy sistes from GW is 3sister blisters. Is THAT an army planned to be sold? no its not. This release was not to lay-over for 6th edition, nor to remove rules or update things (preface covered this in the WD), it was just "released". And yes 4-5 months ago necrons were rumored to be delayed and were intended for a late summer release (august) and then magically in their release window (when we had heard early 2012 already) was WD sisters instead of necrons. Delay + Hasty-WD codex = sisters :D

Spiney Norman
10-08-2011, 17:51
I think it's a bit of a surprise they didn't finecast them. Agree that it must mean they have quite a few of them hanging around.

I think its a very good sign that they didn't Finecast the sisters models. It means one of two things, either they have a massive stock of metal sisters that they want to shift (unlikely but possible since the models are absolutely ancient and they can't have been producing them in any quantity for years), or they are intending on replacing the line with plastics sooner rather than later.

If the range had gone finecast that would have killed rumours of plastic sisters for a good 2-3 years because the finecast molds would need time to earn their start-up costs back.

I think it is interesting that they've not finecasted ANY of the range at all, I was expecting the do the penitent engines at the very least, but that *might* indicate there are more plastic models/character resculpts in the offing than we thought.

I still think 2012 is a little optimistic, I can't see the point in doing a WD dex with virtually no innovation in it at all and then following it up with a full dex in 6 months to a year. If this is where SoB are at right now I'd rather they take a couple more years developing it before producing a full dex, and correct me if I'm wrong but BA languished with their WD dex for 2-3 yrs before getting their proper book, and I can't see any reason why SoB would be any different. I think the earliest we can hope for is mid 2013 to be honest.

WallWeasels
10-08-2011, 17:57
well except Karamazov, but he is GK now :P

I was excited to use him in fantasy...

Also Spiney: Warriors of Chaos. They had like 3 months before a full release came out and we've still heard rumors of early 2012. If this book is exactly what I have heard, and concluded myself, in that its was a "delay" codex...then its fully possible sisters are next year still :P

Spiney Norman
10-08-2011, 18:06
well except Karamazov, but he is GK now :P

I was excited to use him in fantasy...

Also Spiney: Warriors of Chaos. They had like 3 months before a full release came out and we've still heard rumors of early 2012. If this book is exactly what I have heard, and concluded myself, in that its was a "delay" codex...then its fully possible sisters are next year still :P

I would prefer late 2012 if we're going to get 6th Edition next year, being the last codex/Army book of an edition always sucks.

Chem-Dog
10-08-2011, 18:09

Ah, a modicum of sense.

It was a delaying tactic for the fact that their release window was left open because necrons had to be delayed. This release, even if it is crap (with no models), takes the spotlight away from that delay.

Not turning out a Codex every >insert timeframe here< doesn't cause the universe to collapse, they don't have to try to fool anyone into thinking they've done the bare minimum to get a pass grade. C:SoB is a stopgap because the C:WH is so heinously out of date it's not even funny.
Just like the Blood Angels WD list this is a stopgap, yes the rules are a little on the basic side (by comparison with recent complete codexes like Dark Eldar) but they have become instantly MUCH more playable than they were before and yes, I can say that with confidence even before a sniff of the army-list section of the DwarfDex.

I can't say I'm all that surpised about the general curmudgeonly attitude towards this "Codex", but look at it from a Glass-half-full point of view, this is A) An attempt to avoid any decade long gaps in codex coverage and
B) In White Dwarf. IF they continue with what looks like a new direction (SoB pt1 + VC this months OK and SoB pt2 next, so on) of including new/updated/FAQ'd/Errata'd rules in the Magazine, this can only be a good thing.

So I shall applaud Andrew Kenrick, Phil Kelly, Robin Cruddace, Mat Ward and everyone else involved.
Good work Fellas, keep it up.

brassangel
10-08-2011, 19:23
When I opened my email this morning, I was a sad panda. Ah well, hopefully they'll get the BA treatment soon with a whole codex and an updated model range.

This is exactly what is happening, and we've known that for months.

What surprises me is how we were told this, yet everyone still jumped up and down, crying about the vanilla rules and no new releases. Those details were foreshadowed to us months ago.

WallWeasels
10-08-2011, 19:30
Except that ISNT what we heard brass. Before the tales of it being in WD we heard very little about no updates to models. We heard rumors that they have plastic sisters on sprues in the design studios. We actually didn't have much time at all to switch from "sisters in late 2011/early 2012 with multi-kit plastic sisters, finecasts on a few, and I believ eplastic penitents" to "WD with nothing of value".

Voss
10-08-2011, 19:40
Except that ISNT what we heard brass. Before the tales of it being in WD we heard very little about no updates to models. We heard rumors that they have plastic sisters on sprues in the design studios. We actually didn't have much time at all to switch from "sisters in late 2011/early 2012 with multi-kit plastic sisters, finecasts on a few, and I believ eplastic penitents" to "WD with nothing of value".

Actually, brass is correct. We did hear about the WD codex and essentially no release months ago. We did also hear _other_ rumours about plastic sisters and penitent engines, and potential necron delays from other people.
There were two different sets of rumours out there (if not more), and one set has proven to be more correct. The plastics may very well be in the works, but they aren't being released now, similarly, rumours of necrons being delayed from august doesn't mean they ever were scheduled for august. It may be someone just misinterpreted something they heard.

The point is, here and now we've got a WD 'gets you by' codex and no minis release, just a pointer to the existing metal stock, and that was what some (but not all) rumourmongers were suggesting months ago

[SD]Daenyathos
10-08-2011, 20:05
So using blood angels as an example we're looking at what 2 years or 3 before sisters get the models to make the army actually feasible again.

I love the line "It's never been easier to buy the entire range of Sisters of Battle models". I remember a time when it was MUCH easier to buy SoB models, when they came in squad boxes of 10, because thats when I bought all of mine...

Didn't the blood angel codex come out within a year of the white dwarf codex?

Sarevok
10-08-2011, 20:10
could have at least done a few finecast minis for the release

Voss
10-08-2011, 20:13
Daenyathos;5703610']Didn't the blood angel codex come out within a year of the white dwarf codex?

Nope.
According to lexicanum, it was June/July 2007 (WD 329 &330), so it was 4th edition, and then they did a 5th ed pdf update.
So, about 3 years between WD codex and real codex.

Spiney Norman
10-08-2011, 20:24
Nope.
According to lexicanum, it was June/July 2007 (WD 329 &330), so it was 4th edition, and then they did a 5th ed pdf update.
So, about 3 years between WD codex and real codex.

Eeek, I guess we'll have to just knuckle through then...

logan054
10-08-2011, 20:36
Its rather up in the air, honestly. The precedents include the BA one (which was several years) the Warriors of Chaos (which was a matter months) and the Wood Elf (which... I don't remember what the turn around time was. A year or so?)

Since the plastics are rumoured to be in development (and may or may not still have problems) next year isn't entirely unrealistic, but its hard to say for sure without inside knowledge.

I think its more like the BA one, remember the WoC one was just a get you by because daemons had been taken from the armybook, the army actually had no special choices!

Spider-pope
10-08-2011, 20:54
They wouldn't be pushing these old metals if the plastics were coming out next month, as that would adversely affect sales of the new plastics. Honestly they mention the 'full range' and 'entire range' too many times for me to even think there is new stuff coming next month.

Theres almost no chance of anything new coming next month, i think anyone who did believe a WD codex release would come with a full range of plastic support was really grasping at straws.

That does not preclude the possibility that plastics exist however, just that for whatever reason GW has decided Sisters arent ready for a full codex release just yet.

I also wouldnt give up on finecast versions of the models either. In fact the lack of plastics anytime soon gives them more of a reason to retool the molds to resin in the meantime to maximise profits from any Sisters sales while we wait for a new book.

prowla
10-08-2011, 20:57
Essentially the Sisters codex is a codex update to make the army up towards the current standard. Which is neccessary at this point, too. I hope this is a new GW policy to update the army codex in WD after a couple of years, instead of doing the army book once in 5 years.

Voss
10-08-2011, 21:34
Theres almost no chance of anything new coming next month, i think anyone who did believe a WD codex release would come with a full range of plastic support was really grasping at straws.

I think the problem there is the rumours about plastic models came before the rumours about the WD codex, even though that was confirmed back in June.

People seized on the plastic rumours and frankly, given the messy state of the metals, wanted to believe them. So they had a hard time letting go even once it was certain that a WD codex was happening.

Monospot
10-08-2011, 22:17
This could be a play to get rid of an overstock of metal models prior to a plastics/finecast release with a new codex. Running a "hype" campaign about the "complete SoB" line with a new WD codex will help deplete stock. Once some of the back-stock has sold, then a new codex with new plastic sets makes perfect sense.

WallWeasels
10-08-2011, 22:40
Last I heard GW barely had any stocks of sisters, the 10 box was going in and out of availability all last year constantly

Actually, brass is correct. We did hear about the WD codex and essentially no release months ago. We did also hear _other_ rumours about plastic sisters and penitent engines, and potential necron delays from other people.
There were two different sets of rumours out there (if not more), and one set has proven to be more correct. The plastics may very well be in the works, but they aren't being released now, similarly, rumours of necrons being delayed from august doesn't mean they ever were scheduled for august. It may be someone just misinterpreted something they heard.

The point is, here and now we've got a WD 'gets you by' codex and no minis release, just a pointer to the existing metal stock, and that was what some (but not all) rumourmongers were suggesting months ago
Except the time frames are wrong. Ghost21 and the others who stated rumors of plastic sisters being made/done were posting before people started talking about the WD. Which is important. Most people only hurt about the WD starting rumors from BoK and BosL referring to BoK. Most just fed of BoKs rumor list for the most part.

Also the wont be selling sisters with this and they know it. They stated in an email that this is to "update to 5th". Which, to be honest, is quite a joke. If updating to 5th was a priority they'd of done it long ago during 40ks longer dry-spells of releases since launch. Nor really is a hype campaign, its just to bridge a 40k gap when necrons were delayed.

AlexHolker
10-08-2011, 22:47
Its kind of a wise move for them to dust off the old range and put it up for sale, so that they can capitalize on knee jerk reactions of "I got to get some!"
A knee-jerk reaction to what? There's nothing new here to trigger that kind of reaction.

WallWeasels
10-08-2011, 22:57
Yeah celestine, functionally, is the same and she is the only nearly "ultimate" unit comparatively speaking.

MajorWesJanson
10-08-2011, 23:26
Essentially the Sisters codex is a codex update to make the army up towards the current standard. Which is neccessary at this point, too. I hope this is a new GW policy to update the army codex in WD after a couple of years, instead of doing the army book once in 5 years.

Yep. The Sisters White Dex is a compatibility patch:
Keep sisters models usable
Bring back rules for a couple of old special characters
Remove Inquisition and Allies elements
Update point costs and wargear
Streamline Faith to make it more clear to both players what is going on. (I expect the faith rules for now are basically experimental, with a proper dex including scaling mechanics and new faith powers, perhaps ones that can be bought)

Based on the pattern of GW for new codices, what can we expect?
A new vehicle/warshrine thing, possibly based on the land raider chassis- sisters currently lack a centerpiece model at the Land Raider price point. (So do Dark Eldar, but the Bomber ought to fill that in shortly)

A five or 10 battle sister box with options for sisters, retributors, dominions, and celestians.

Plastic seraphim

Plastic Exorcist/new model.

4-5 more special characters. Definately a named cannoness, maybe a repentia who has succeeded in repenting, ect.

Some sort of flier model (maybe add the valkyrie as an option, or a new flier?)

Chem-Dog
10-08-2011, 23:34
Based on the pattern of GW for new codices, what can we expect?
A new vehicle/warshrine thing, possibly based on the land raider chassis- sisters currently lack a centerpiece model at the Land Raider price point. (So do Dark Eldar, but the Bomber ought to fill that in shortly)

A five or 10 battle sister box with options for sisters, retributors, dominions, and celestians.

Plastic seraphim

Plastic Exorcist/new model.

4-5 more special characters. Definately a named cannoness, maybe a repentia who has succeeded in repenting, ect.

Some sort of flier model (maybe add the valkyrie as an option, or a new flier?)

Warshrine sounds good, but don't all their tanks kinda do this job anyway?
Also, a flier seems a little much for SoB.
As GK's didn't get Jetbikes, perhaps the SoB's will....Chicks with Guns ON BIKES. The holy trinity of Awesome.

Muddypaw
10-08-2011, 23:45
I seem to remember (I dont have the book in front of me at the moment) that in the book "Faith and Fire" the SoB force that assaults the villains Bond style Volcano lair at the books finale arrive via some kind of flying craft, transporting vehicles as well as troops.

This could have been local planetary forces or dedicated transports kept by the Ecclesiarchy.

Given the changes of every armies fluff with each new Codex, I dont think fliers for Sisters would be a game or fluff breaker. Personally I'd love it :)

sasheep
10-08-2011, 23:52
As GK's didn't get Jetbikes, perhaps the SoB's will....Chicks with Guns ON BIKES. The holy trinity of Awesome.

A man after my own heart :p
Personally I think a flier would be great, especially if it is a valkyrie. Warshrines would also fit and could be a brillaint center piece for an army..

The Dude
10-08-2011, 23:59
I think rules for a flier are pretty much a certainty. Whether it gets a model at release is another story.

MajorWesJanson
11-08-2011, 00:05
I think rules for a flier are pretty much a certainty. Whether it gets a model at release is another story.

Assuming they don't import an existing one like the Valkyrie/Vendetta.
Something like a plastic thunderbolt would tick both the flier and centerpiece slot, and sell to other armies as well.

The Dude
11-08-2011, 00:29
I think they'd be more likely to get their own super special flying cathedral type thingy. Possibly looking similar to the Storm Raven, but with cherubs and bas relief work like the Excorsit. Just a thought.

Eumerin
11-08-2011, 00:54
This could be a play to get rid of an overstock of metal models prior to a plastics/finecast release with a new codex. Running a "hype" campaign about the "complete SoB" line with a new WD codex will help deplete stock. Once some of the back-stock has sold, then a new codex with new plastic sets makes perfect sense.

If they wanted to dump the old metal figures, then they'd need to do something about the prices. Sisters are currently the most expensive army to collect, by a pretty wide margin.

Until GW fixes both the prices of the models (i.e. makes them competitive price-wise with the models for the other armies) and the availability (since you can currently only get them directly from GW either through the mail or in-store pick-up) they're not going to be doing much depleting of old stocks. Anyone who is inspired by the WD codex to start up a new Sisters army will probably suffer a heart attack once the sticker shock sets in.

the Infadel
11-08-2011, 02:32
If they wanted to dump the old metal figures, then they'd need to do something about the prices. Sisters are currently the most expensive army to collect, by a pretty wide margin.

Right, if they wanted to get rid of them, well gee wiz kiddos, why not have a sale? with like army boxes, ready to play, for 5 bones or some such amount. No, instead lets try and fool everyone into just buying the same old stuff for more money, doh.
:skull:

ted1138
11-08-2011, 03:36
Is there enough demand for SoB to warrant making plastic figures? It would cost a lot, and take a long time to become profitable if not.

Azzy
11-08-2011, 04:00
I would prefer late 2012 if we're going to get 6th Edition next year, being the last codex/Army book of an edition always sucks.

Too true.

Is there enough demand for SoB to warrant making plastic figures? It would cost a lot, and take a long time to become profitable if not.

About at much or more than there was for Dark Eldar prior to their new codex and models.

Shatterclaw
11-08-2011, 04:41
Look what it did for the Dark Eldar, the old Dark Eldar range didn't sell, so they removed them from the stores and they became online only.

In fact it was so bad that a lot of people thought they where going to be squated.

Now look at where they are at?

Ixe
11-08-2011, 05:12

See, this is where crazy rumors come from. Every rumor regarding SoB is that they will be plastic. Nobody knows when, people have speculated about 2012, but nobody knows for sure. The only reason to ask this quesiton is if you haven't been paying attention.

eldargal
11-08-2011, 05:34
I still remember someone saying that they 'knew for a fact' from sources within GW Dark Eldar were being squatted. Two days later the Incubus picture was leaked, a week later GD UK.:rolleyes:

We knew DE were being worked on, Jes Goodwin mentione it in an interview in 2007. We know SoB are being worked on, Jes Goodwin spoke to StraightSilver about it, and other things he said have come to pass.

It is a question of when, not if, and we have rumours saying sooner rather than later.

Look what it did for the Dark Eldar, the old Dark Eldar range didn't sell, so they removed them from the stores and they became online only.

In fact it was so bad that a lot of people thought they where going to be squated.

Now look at where they are at?

Spiney Norman
11-08-2011, 06:27

The reality is that good plastic models make their own demand. You can't base the answer to that question on the number of extent sisters players or the number of players who start buying the old overpriced metals as a result of the WD dex because the main draw of an army is its models, not its rules. Dark Eldar proved that beyond any doubt.

Eumerin
11-08-2011, 07:47

We won't know so long as GW continues to make Sisters cost so much. Currently it's less expensive to buy two tactical squads of plastic space marines than it is to buy a single squad of Sisters (that's a squad composed of two three-pack blisters, a simulacrum, a superior, and two meltas - and no extra bits).

You can buy twice as many space marines, with customization options and lots of extra bits. The sisters are static metal models that can't be customized without breaking out your cutting tool.

the 10 box was going in and out of availability all last year constantly

The 10 box is long gone. GW hasn't sold it for quite a while now. The models that made it up are still very much available, however.

and we have rumours saying sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately, "soon" in business-speak is considerably longer than "soon" in regular-world-speak. All it really means is that the wait will probably be less than five years.

ted1138
11-08-2011, 08:06
What I mean is, are there enough teenage boys that want to collect an all female army to make supporting SoB in plastic?

And at "Ixe", You obviously didn't understand what I said, I'm not saying they're making plastic SoB models, I'm just saying is it viable?

Wilburforce
11-08-2011, 08:33
What I mean is, are there enough teenage boys that want to collect an all female army to make supporting SoB in plastic?
Thing is, ironically, the Sisters of Battle as of this WD Dex aren't an all-female army, any more than, say, Dark Eldar are. Over half of the Special Characters are male, over half of the Battle Conclave options are male, the Penitent Engine has a male pilot option.

And, putting it bluntly, because Sisters of Battle have pretty much zero variety in their units, about 90% of their units could be represented by a single box of 5 plastics. Troops? Battle Sisters. Elites? Battle Sisters with HELMETS. Fast Attack? Battle Sisters with MELTAS or JUMP PACKS. Heavy Support? Battle Sisters with HEAVY BOLTERS. Etceteras. Think what they did with Death Company. Minimal investment needed - certainly not the sort of money and time they had to spend on Dark Eldar.

AlexHolker
11-08-2011, 09:31
Think of it this way: every sister of battle unit could be made using six moulds (Seraphim, Repentia, Exorcist, Immolator/Rhino and two for everything else). Space Marine Dreadnoughts (not Space Marines, just Dreadnoughts) get nine.

eldargal
11-08-2011, 09:52
Not when BramGaunt says it is his understanding they are coming in 2012, unless there is anotehr 2012 schedules for five years time.:p

Unfortunately, "soon" in business-speak is considerably longer than "soon" in regular-world-speak. All it really means is that the wait will probably be less than five years.

StraightSilver
11-08-2011, 10:03
I do agree that this WD update is just a 5th Edition update. Mainly because GW are trying to support the tournament scene more and more (because I believe they want to run more of their own) and once the Grey Knight Codex came out a lot of clarification was needed for SoB.

I did report back several months ago that I had been told Sisters were being worked on, but I also said there had been problems with them and work had been suspended. This doesn't mean that they are no longer being worked on, just that I wouldn't expect to see them anytime soon.

From what I understand there will be 3 Codexes out before Sisters, although I can't say that's concrete, just what I have heard. So I would imagine 2nd Quarter 2012 at the earliest.

In terms of a flyer for Sisters I would speculate a plastic Aquilla Lander, as that's what's in almost all the novels, and it is an easy crossover from FW. (that's just my speculation though)

Azzy
11-08-2011, 10:08

I hate to be crass, but tell me what (hetero) teenage boy doesn't go gaga for the inspired combination of boobs & guns? Tomb Raider, anyone? A good portion of popular anime/comic book heroines/villainesses? Just about any movie with Angelina Jolie?

I think the perpetuated myth that teenage/preteen boys are too sexually insecure to want have female character in their toys/hobbies/entertainment is merely an outdated projection of old farts in suits that are themselves likely insecure in such things. Heck, having been a teenager (and even a child) once, I never had any such issue... As a kid I was irked (at best) that female Autobots were depicted in the Transformers cartoon, but not the toy line or that the female (and minority) GI Joe characters were so few and sometimes difficult to obtain.

Besides, contrary to popular legend, teenage girls and adults (of both genders) do actually buy 40K armies occasionally. :D

eldargal
11-08-2011, 10:21
I agree with Azzy, always hated that I wasn't able to get a decent Arcee model until 2006 or something. Oh and I agree with the rest, too.

I think SoB haven't done well for the same reason Dark Eldar didn't do well. A primarily metal (largely metal in DEs case) range of relatively dull miniatures with a ruleset that encouraged really only one or two builds. In fact I think DEs range were worse than the SoBs but had the advantage of having more plastic.

Give them a proper range of plastics, give them a decent rulebook and they will have a Dark Eldar type renaissance.

Shamana
11-08-2011, 11:06
Give them a proper range of plastics, give them a decent rulebook and they will have a Dark Eldar type renaissance.

I'd agree with that as well. They don't have to be at the GK/IG/BA levels of power, but if they are worth their points and have beautiful models, GW will get their money's worth and a nice little extra for their pockets. Having another non-marine army updated may bring a little fresh air too :) .

Spectral Dragon
11-08-2011, 11:14
As I have been saying: from what the rumors we know this "release" was not about sisters at all. It was a delaying tactic for the fact that their release window was left open because necrons had to be delayed. This release, even if it is crap (with no models), takes the spotlight away from that delay. It isn't about shelving sisters or secretly hating sisters, I think we just got the bad end of a crumby deal of "codexes left to update" in the discussion.

I saw the necron pushback months ago. They are coming though.

Sisters will be released in 2 years, they didn't know where to take the army. They want to see how many people bite on this new "codex" before they release the new models.

Shamana
11-08-2011, 11:22
2 years? Just out of curiosity, is there any indication when the next Eldar codex will be finalized? It seems almost a given that it will be bumped back by the Chaos one.

The Dude
11-08-2011, 11:26
Nothing gets bumped back by anything ever!

The release schedule is a fluid thing and always has been. If we didn't have rumour mongers telling us what's in the pipe, we'd never even know things had changed!!

RAAAAAAAGE!!! :mad:

Techpriest
11-08-2011, 11:27
Bearing in mind that I am an ignorant fool, I predict a new Sisters Codex within a year and a half.

I agree. The manager at my GW store assured me that this is only a hold over for Sisters. They are slated for the real release with models and a full offical Codex for June next year. He has assured me that it will be out for the summer next year

Now you can take this how you want. I know how people hate hearing second hand information. I extremely upset with everything I heard about the sisters. And he kept reassuring me that it is not the real Codex. Just one to get the idea out that Sisters are going to BEcome their own Army. Acts of Faith are not going to change. Still going to be Random and specific to each unit. He hinted that PE are going to Customizable for Force Org.

The new sister models are going to be amazing. And in plastic. I do believe him after this talk and will work with this WD Codedx, and hold out for the real thing next year.

Shamana
11-08-2011, 11:36
Nothing gets bumped back by anything ever!

The release schedule is a fluid thing and always has been.

Man, chill - I'm looking at the order of release of previous codices. Of course the upcoming release schedule can change.

Godzooky
11-08-2011, 11:41
RAAAAAAAGE!!! :mad:

Woohoo! World Eaters codex next year![/rumour decoder mode] :shifty:

eldargal
11-08-2011, 11:44
Interesting, dissapointing if accurate, but I'd rather they take their time to do it properly (like DE which took five or six years I believe).

Sisters will be released in 2 years, they didn't know where to take the army. They want to see how many people bite on this new "codex" before they release the new models.

The Dude
11-08-2011, 11:44
Man, chill - I'm looking at the order of release of previous codices. Of course the upcoming release schedule can change.

Sorry, just a bit miffed at people claiming things are being "bumped back" by whatever else. That's just not how it works. Reading your post again, it's probably just poor choice of works on your part than an implication anything was actually moved around. :)

Woohoo! World Eaters codex next year![/rumour decoder mode] :shifty:

Don't talk to me with those pants on noof! :mad:

andrewm9
11-08-2011, 13:21

How are people goign to "bite" on this codex exactly? I doubt that GW has the marketing tools in place to measure who bought the codex for purposes of a Sisters army. This codex isn't designed to sell models. With the current ridiculous prices its clear they won't be selling alot of models when a squad with a rhino goes for around 120 dollars US.

Ixe
11-08-2011, 16:09

Nobody is going to bite on this codex who doesn't already have a SoB army. It's far too expensive to make sense. Maybe the lack of adoption will convince them to make the full release less nerfy. Maybe they'll realize that nobody else thinks a 6++ is uber :p

Voss
11-08-2011, 16:20
Nobody is going to bite on this codex who doesn't already have a SoB army. It's far too expensive to make sense.

People don't collect armies based on 'sense'. Now, I'd expect that sales will be much less than they would if they did a real codex, but some people will still buy stuff.

Depulsor
11-08-2011, 16:22
Hhhmmm... although most of us have seen this one coming form a mile away... its still disappointing.
Who didnt secretly hope for at least the sisters/seraphim in plastic?
*sigh*

But I also think, that noone will bite on this codex.
If the new WD-sisters arent underpriced in points at the level of the vendetta, GW wont sell any of these outdated metal models. :p

sasheep
11-08-2011, 16:38
To be honest I doubt GW will sell many models even if the units are under priced and this codex turns out to be super powerful. A quick look on ebay and you can get a squad for about half the price of what GW wants.

Eddie Chaos
11-08-2011, 16:38
When have they ever released models with a white dwarf "get you by" list? To my knowledge never. I don't understand why anyone expected any different.

If the rumors are true and plastics are on the way it will be when the book is out in a year or so.

TimLeeson
11-08-2011, 16:55
When have they ever released models with a white dwarf "get you by" list? To my knowledge never. I don't understand why anyone expected any different.

If the rumors are true and plastics are on the way it will be when the book is out in a year or so.

not "new" models, but Blood angels did get rereleases of things like dante and such.

Besides, I do think Sisters should of been the exception to the rule due to their range being entirely metal. IMO think that rumoured kit that would make sisters/dominions/seraphims/celestians/retributors would of made people happy and given them a "lift off" point - and allowed space to more "new" stuff for when they had a proper update.

Eumerin
11-08-2011, 17:11
I agree. The manager at my GW store assured me that this is only a hold over for Sisters. They are slated for the real release with models and a full offical Codex for June next year. He has assured me that it will be out for the summer next year

Your store managers don't really know, actually. They get their information from the rumor threads just like everyone else. More importantly, if 6th edition is released next summer, as everyone believes at this point, there won't be time for a Codex in June. So no June release.

If 40K releases follow the example set by WFB 8th edition, then there will be two more Codex releases - one at the end of this year (which is already pretty much thought to be Necrons) and one early next year. So there's one left after Necrons. It could be Sisters. Or it might be Tau, who are generally thought to be up for another release before 6th edition goes live. GW could break the pattern and release another Codex in Spring 2012, but WFB had a couple of armies in desperate need of an update (TK and OK) who were still in desperate need after 8th was released. The new rulebook is released late in Summer, and the boxed set comes out shortly afterwards. And then there's just enough time for one Codex. Marines always get the first codex.

So for Sisters you're almost certainly looking at a release in early 2012 (which I'm personally skeptical of, but admit that it could end up there) or else nothing until 2013.

Yes, it's possible that GW could break the mold. It's also possible that I could have a rich old uncle that I've never heard of before die next week and leave me all his money.

is there any indication when the next Eldar codex will be finalized?

Nope. Not even a hint. And the only unreleased Eldar model that anyone's aware of is the jetbike that's been sitting around unreleased for years now.

sasheep
11-08-2011, 17:43
@Eumerin- Aren't new rules editions out in July? If that is the case then there is no reason why a codex can't be released in June. There has been a rumour that SoB are going to be in the starter set so being the final dex or the first one of the new edition is possible. Hmm maybe I am just being too hopeful.

Techpriest
11-08-2011, 17:51
Your store managers don't really know, actually. They get their information from the rumor threads just like everyone else. More importantly, if 6th edition is released next summer, as everyone believes at this point, there won't be time for a Codex in June. So no June release.

If 40K releases follow the example set by WFB 8th edition, then there will be two more Codex releases - one at the end of this year (which is already pretty much thought to be Necrons) and one early next year. So there's one left after Necrons. It could be Sisters. Or it might be Tau, who are generally thought to be up for another release before 6th edition goes live. GW could break the pattern and release another Codex in Spring 2012, but WFB had a couple of armies in desperate need of an update (TK and OK) who were still in desperate need after 8th was released. The new rulebook is released late in Summer, and the boxed set comes out shortly afterwards. And then there's just enough time for one Codex. Marines always get the first codex.

So for Sisters you're almost certainly looking at a release in early 2012 (which I'm personally skeptical of, but admit that it could end up there) or else nothing until 2013.

Yes, it's possible that GW could break the mold. It's also possible that I could have a rich old uncle that I've never heard of before die next week and leave me all his money.

Nope. Not even a hint. And the only unreleased Eldar model that anyone's aware of is the jetbike that's been sitting around unreleased for years now.

Yes I am sure every GW manager gets all there info off the same websites any of us can go too. There is no chance in hell he might know what he is talking about. This is all said with Sarcasm.

The way I was to understand it, the SoB will be the last release before the new Edition. Set up to be compatable with the new Edition rules.

Like a said though. Take it for what you will. I was just wanting ot share the information with those here.

philbrad2
11-08-2011, 17:58
This has moved way off topic, off to 40K GENERAL.

PhilB
:chrome:
+ =I= + WarSeer Moderation Team + =I= +
WarSeer Posting Guidelines (http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_posting_guidelines)
The WarSeer FAQ (http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php)
The WarSeer Moderation/Posting/Forum guidelines (http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php?faq=the_forums#faq_rules)

Eumerin
11-08-2011, 18:01
@Eumerin- Aren't new rules editions out in July? If that is the case then there is no reason why a codex can't be released in June. There has been a rumour that SoB are going to be in the starter set so being the final dex or the first one of the new edition is possible. Hmm maybe I am just being too hopeful.

It's too close to the release date. April or May *might* work - if only just barely (but note that GW didn't release anything in those months for WFB - the last 7th edition release for WFB was Beastmen, and that was even earlier in the year). But June is too close to the release of the new edition. The weeks after a new codex comes out is when you get all of the attention focused on the army and its accompanying new models, and when you sell lots of models for that army. Releasing the new edition just one month after releasing a new codex impacts the sales of that army because attention suddenly shifts from the just-released army to the upcoming rules overhaul. So you sell fewer models, which impacts GW's bottom line.

darius-god-of-biscuits
11-08-2011, 20:45

It's just not true. Penitent Engines and Uriah Jacobus are out of stock (expected to ship in 2 to 3 weeks). Are they still casting metal?

Lord Malorne
11-08-2011, 20:52
More likely they just won't say anything about the plastics until last minute so they can clear stock, its becoming a sad new tradition.

Haravikk
11-08-2011, 21:30
At the rate things are going, Sisters might actually end up one of the first codices to be released in 6th edition; if that's the case, then I think I can live with a White Dwarf list and no new models in the mean-time.

I would have liked a return of the old 10-model box-sets though, or some kind of bundles, as the sisters are currently punishingly expensive.

On the other hand though, I love all metal squads and this does give me a chance to finish off the metal squads I have, without having to rush as I thought I was going to, but that's only a minor consolation.

Voss
11-08-2011, 21:35
I'm not sure what you mean by 'the rate things are going.' Grey Knights were four months ago, there has been some filling out of the DE codex, we've Necrons coming up, and possibly some combination of Tau, 6th edition, Chaos (legions or otherwise) and possibly dark angels or black templar. Not to mention all the stuff that still needs to be worked in from the 5th edition books, like Wolf Wolves, various tyranid beasties, and a few IG vehicles.

Inquisitor_Eljer
11-08-2011, 22:27
Hi all,

Here is the response I received from GW Customer Service to an email I sent expressing my concerns and support for the Sisters of Battle.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

"Thanks for writing in to us and expressing your support and concerns for the Sisters of Battle. As a Sisters player myself (I collect The Order of the Bloody Rose) I understand how passionate you can get about your favorite army.

The article in the magazine is part one of the Sisters article. The next issue of White Dwarf will have all the details for the army list itself with all the points costs and weapons options etc. While these articles can in no way compare to a full blown codex, I feel that they will provide an adequate stop gap so that Sisters players such as us can play their army in the 5th edition of Warhammer 40,000 until a new codex can be written (along with new plastic miniatures being made ). As you mentioned, the Witch Hunters codex was originally published in early 2004 for the 3rd edition of the game and doesn’t play or handle as well two editions on. We did exactly the same thing with the Blood Angels army which got an army list published in White Dwarf across two issues back in 2006. This allowed existing players to play with their army in the game until the new codex was published in February 2010.

I hope this gives you a little insight into why the new codex article has been written, and what the future may hold for the Sisters. I’m not too sure when a full codex will be written for them, but keep the faith that they haven’t been forgotten about."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

My reading between the lines means we're likely stuck with the WD hack-job codex for 2 to 4 years while they update the Space Marines, Chaos, Eldar, etc.

I did thank the responder for taking time to listen and for his response, but also informed him that I'm leaning towards selling my 4k to 5k point force and will likely be changing gaming systems to a company able to keep their rules and forces more up-to-date, and in a more timely & organized manner.

Cheers all,
Inquisitor Eljer
=][=

Lord Malorne
11-08-2011, 22:31
Well, on the bright side the new list should address any issues existing players have, while of course being a perfect testing ground for the future codex, hope it will not be like the stopgap warriors of chaos book for fantasy, that was dire, then the army book was dire... then 8th ed came out and the book was great :D

WallWeasels
11-08-2011, 22:39
I'd ask for people to stop considering White Dwarf codexs as some form of "testing" of rules. Without asking for feedback, or any real method to give feedback, GW isn't asking for your opinions on a "test" for anything. It is pretty silly and I really doubt GW prowls around the Internet looking for opinions on their rule-sets >_>

Inquisitor_Eljer: Hmm, well I don't think GW talks between departments all that much...so we don't know how "in the loop" customer service may be. Sad if we have to deal with this for 2-3 years.

Inquisitor_Eljer
11-08-2011, 22:53
Inquisitor_Eljer: Hmm, well I don't think GW talks between departments all that much...so we don't know how "in the loop" customer service may be. Sad if we have to deal with this for 2-3 years.

I completely agree that US Customer Service likely doesn't know what the UK Executives are planning, but given the trendline of BA, I'd speculate that the WD codex is here because they won't get around to Sisters for 2 to 4 more years and they won't play well in the 6th edition rule-set.

The only real positive I could find is that Sisters might be a mid-cycle release for 6th edition so should be in the 'sweet spot' of the 6th edition power-band...hopefully...but I doubt I'll stick around long enough to see this.

Cheers,
Inquisitor Eljer

Angelwing
11-08-2011, 23:11

Second edition necrons. Granted there were only 5 unit types...

Azzy
11-08-2011, 23:16
My reading between the lines means we're likely stuck with the WD hack-job codex for 2 to 4 years while they update the Space Marines, Chaos, Eldar, etc.

That's not reading between the lines, that's speculation based on what GW did years ago when they were working under different development leads and different paradigms. It's also speculation that runs contrary to what reliable rumor-mongers have said.

Inquisitor_Eljer
11-08-2011, 23:18
That's not reading between the lines, that's speculation based on what GW did years ago when they were working under different development leads and different paradigms. It's also speculation that runs contrary to what reliable rumor-mongers have said.

Fair enough...you're entitled to that opinion and your own perspective. I'll wager that the Sisters of Battle don't get a full codex and plastics before 2013.

Eumerin
11-08-2011, 23:59
Er...

Let's keep in mind that the "reliable rumor-mongers" have, through no fault of their own I'm confident, been quite wrong with regards to the Sisters. There was all sorts of chatter about Sisters getting a regular release earlier this year. BoK was the first - and only - source to mention the WD release, and that wasn't until a few months ago.

Ixe
12-08-2011, 00:41
Er...

Let's keep in mind that the "reliable rumor-mongers" have, through no fault of their own I'm confident, been quite wrong with regards to the Sisters. There was all sorts of chatter about Sisters getting a regular release earlier this year. BoK was the first - and only - source to mention the WD release, and that wasn't until a few months ago.

Those people haven't been proven wrong. There has been nothing to deny the fact that Sisters are still getting a regular release. The rumors people have never given us a definite time frame, but every rumor I've heard that guesses about it has estimated 2012, not 2011. There's still lots of time for them to be proven right. And even if it's not 2012, there isn't any question as to whether SOB will receive a full codex at some point. People who question whether a full release will happen are not basing it on anything, they're just navel-gazing while ignoring all of the information that's out there.

Azzy
12-08-2011, 01:02
Fair enough...you're entitled to that opinion and your own perspective. I'll wager that the Sisters of Battle don't get a full codex and plastics before 2013.

And I'm betting between last half of 2012 to early half of 2013.

Voss
12-08-2011, 03:03
Well it looks like you guys half-agree.

Those people haven't been proven wrong. There has been nothing to deny the fact that Sisters are still getting a regular release. The rumors people have never given us a definite time frame,

Well, some of them have. Its been a crazy mix of rumours, a rather bad april fools joke, and conflicting opinions, but some did in fact claim that this was going to be a full codex release with plastic kits coming out this year, around now, in fact. That was obviously incorrect.

There are a pair (more actually) of old sisters threads that stated this quite clearly, particularly in april and may. The 'WD codex' was confirmed by june, however.

This thread has some useful links to other threads if people really want to track how the rumours went:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5562451&postcount=1

Harry
21-08-2011, 04:26
I can't remember exactly what I said but I don't think I ever knew when they were being released. I only knew for sure when they were started. (Which was soon after Grey Knights).
Given that I was expecting them any time now ... but then I didn't think too much about it ... maybe they were always planned as a longer project. (They are, after all, an army with no plastic kits).

What I know for sure is that both Codex and plastic kits have been worked on for a good while now.

I can only think of two reasons SOB are not being released ... and both of them are good news for SOB fans.

Either they were always a longer project because they are working on more plastic kits.
(So a bigger release than Grey Knights or both projects would have been a similar length)

OR

They were always part of a longer project ... like the 6th Edition release.

So in much the same way I heard and wrote in the Watchman rumours articles about the Skaven Clan rats and Storm vermin being done but they didn't appear for a couple more years as they were part of the Fantasy starter set ... when you know a plastic sisters kit exists but is not released experience would suggest this has to be a possibility worth considering.

So if they have not appeared yet either because they have a much wider range of plastics being done as OR because they will be included in the next starter set for a great kick start to a new army ... either way it is worth waiting a bit longer.

Ixe
21-08-2011, 06:54
I wonder if it would kill GW to just tell us...

Harry
21-08-2011, 06:58
I wonder if it would kill GW to just tell us...
LOL
Apparently ... it would. :D

rodmillard
21-08-2011, 10:56
What I know for sure is that both Codex and plastic kits have been worked on for a good while now.

I can only think of two reasons SOB are not being released ... and both of them are good news for SOB fans.

Either they were always a longer project because they are working on more plastic kits.
(So a bigger release than Grey Knights or both projects would have been a similar length)

OR

They were always part of a longer project ... like the 6th Edition release.

To be fair, Sisters are going to have a lot of the problems of Grey Knights (going from ~20 units not counting alloes to a full size 5th ed codex in their own right means a lot of new units), coupled with a lot of the problems of DE (needing a full redo of the existing range). GK managed the GK problem with multiple duty kits, but an SoB kit would do that and still not put any new units on the table, and they dealt with DE by having multiple waves close together. I was hoping for a simple "one kit to rule them all" release alongside the WD codex - effectively giving us the wave release first, so that they could concentrate on new units with the eventual codex release. It would have made sense both from a production and marketing PoV, but it looks like it won't be happening :(

kaffis
22-08-2011, 00:30
To be fair, Sisters are going to have a lot of the problems of Grey Knights (going from ~20 units not counting alloes to a full size 5th ed codex in their own right means a lot of new units), coupled with a lot of the problems of DE (needing a full redo of the existing range). GK managed the GK problem with multiple duty kits, but an SoB kit would do that and still not put any new units on the table, and they dealt with DE by having multiple waves close together. I was hoping for a simple "one kit to rule them all" release alongside the WD codex - effectively giving us the wave release first, so that they could concentrate on new units with the eventual codex release. It would have made sense both from a production and marketing PoV, but it looks like it won't be happening :(
I kind of cringe at the notion of being included in the 6th edition starter's box as part of the plastic release for Sisters; it would do horrible things to my sanity to have waited this long with this many metal figs in maybe 16 poses, total, to then be issued an entirely new line of plastic -- where multiple units are one- or two-piece models with monoposes. :eyebrows:

Ixe
22-08-2011, 00:39
I kind of cringe at the notion of being included in the 6th edition starter's box as part of the plastic release for Sisters; it would do horrible things to my sanity to have waited this long with this many metal figs in maybe 16 poses, total, to then be issued an entirely new line of plastic -- where multiple units are one- or two-piece models with monoposes. :eyebrows:

If there's any reason to worry about GW these days, it's that their non-Ward codices are underwhelming. The models they've been producing lately have been amazing. What rock have you been living under that you think they'd release a new plastic kit that's worse than the original metals? They have done that (daemonettes) but not with anything recent. There is NO chance that SoB would be part of the starter box, that's literally impossible. SoB have always been a back bencher army, and the starter box always includes some Marines and some stuff for the Marines to kill. No way in hell would they replace the Marines with Sisters, and it wouldn't make sense for Marines vs. Sisters to be the matchup in the starter box since they are ostensibly on the same side.

To be honest though, I'm a little perplexed that someone would talk about the diversity of poses that SoB have. They have bolter up, bolter down, bolter in the middle, throwing grenade... All incredibly generic. And you can't repose them, not even a little bit!

Muddypaw
22-08-2011, 00:40

It is an almost certainty GW will stick with the guaranteed draw of Space Marines as the 'good' faction in the 6th Ed starter box. Much as I would like to believe Sisters would be part of the launch I doubt it.

Harry
22-08-2011, 07:33
You are probably right ... it was just a thought.
But lets not forget that neither Skaven or High Elves were in the top 5 Warhammer Fantasy armies before their inclusion in the starter set. Not even sure Skaven were in top top half of the list! There seems to be an "if we build it ... they will come' mentality from a number of people in the studio ... a view that folks buy lots of Space Marines because they make lots of Space Marines but if they made lots of cool stuff for other armies ... they would sell well too .... which is a good thing.

I am not saying this means there will not be Space Marines in the box ... I am just saying is all.

Eumerin
22-08-2011, 09:04
Model-wise, there's a lot of similarity between marines and sisters. The former are males in power armor, while the latter are females in power armor. I could see GW deciding to run with Sisters in the starter box because of that.

I'm personally doubtful. But I could definitely see GW taking a "Sisters are comparable" approach.

And as for popularity... weren't Dark Eldar in the 2nd edition box?

AlexHolker
22-08-2011, 09:24
3rd - it was their first appearance. But that was back when the DE models sucked.

Crimson Reaver
22-08-2011, 09:26

From memory, the Dark Eldar release was not properly capitalised on at the time. The models were of variable quality and the rules were nowhere near as good as the new version. You ended up with a very odd looking army that could either trounce your opponent or get shot down in flames.

To all the Sisters players who are considering getting rid of their armies, I'd just hang on, we've waited this long, a little while longer won't hurt, we've got some new rules to keep us viable, and most people who care about the army already have enough models to field an army. Not great, but not a total disaster either. At worst, bench the models for the time being, none of the basic Battle Sister models is likely to become unfieldable under a new Codex, your Sister with a Boltgun will do just fine whether she's metal, Finecast or plastic.

PS: If anyone is selling their stuff, I'll take it :p Why stick at 5,000pts of Sisters when you can have more :evilgrin:

Haravikk
22-08-2011, 10:39
New White Dwarf should be out this Saturday, that right? I think that getting rid of armies before then would be premature, as there aren't likely to be any new models till a proper codex release swings by, so no need to start fresh.

I also thing a lot of the current uncertainty will be put to rest once we get actual points costs, force organisation (I'm not really expecting any changes there though, only the battle conclaves are uncertain, but probably retinues). The other thing is wargear, as that's going to have the biggest effect on the viability of Faith in bigger games, hopefully Simulacrum Imperialis as a faith point generator such +1 a turn, or "channeling" faith (D6 roll of 4+ gives +1 point or so).

I think the most uncertain thing Faith wise is whether there some units have more than one power; it's also not clear if you're allowed to make more than one faith test for a single power in order to spend extra faith points to make sure it goes through when it's important.

Spiney Norman
22-08-2011, 11:11
New White Dwarf should be out this Saturday, that right? I think that getting rid of armies before then would be premature, as there aren't likely to be any new models till a proper codex release swings by, so no need to start fresh.

Yes, looking forward to getting that from the newsagents this month, interesting that there haven't been any leaks this month, does this mean they've finally succeeded at keeping the content water-tight until release day?

I think the most uncertain thing Faith wise is whether there some units have more than one power; it's also not clear if you're allowed to make more than one faith test for a single power in order to spend extra faith points to make sure it goes through when it's important.

I think it's pretty clear from the Acts of Faith rule that each squad only has access to the Act listed for it in the Bestiary, and any Act listed in the bestiary for a IC that has joined the squad. Its unlikely that we'll get a rules clarification in the army list/wargear section, so I'm not sure about using multiple faith points on the same act.

Algorath
22-08-2011, 12:38
There is NO chance that SoB would be part of the starter box, that's literally impossible. SoB have always been a back bencher army, and the starter box always includes some Marines and some stuff for the Marines to kill.

Actually, given recent releases, this would make the most sense: who the hell hasn't killed the Sisters yet? Let me flip through the book....BA, DA, SM, Eldar... given the current need to fulfill our beloved Sisters punching bag role, this might be the biggest factor in favor of a starter set...:D

Seriously though, I'm curious as to the rumors issue; I wondered how they've done it?

Spiney Norman
22-08-2011, 13:03
There were rumours a while back that the sculpters were having problems with plastic sister models because the robes weren't working well for multi-part models. Now perhaps that was entirely false, perhaps they solved this by making them into mono-pose starter set models (starter set models are always mono-pose), of maybe the very fact that they were having problems creating multi-part sisters indicates that they were never being considered for the starter set (as they would not have run into this problem).

If 6th Edition did feature sisters, it would make history as the first starter set not to feature marines, and contrary to what people are saying, 40K is still as built around the marine army as it has ever been, if not more-so. Interestingly there are only 4 40K armies ever to have been in a starter set; Marines, Orks, Dark Eldar & Tyranids.

Still, if I were dreaming, I'd say a starter boxed set entitled "Massacre at Sanctuary 101" would launch 6th Edition in style.

Santtu
22-08-2011, 13:07
3rd edition starter set had the same multi-part plastic kits that were sold in stores.

Warnoober
22-08-2011, 13:38
Being both a Sister and Necron Player i would l LOVE this. Please GW, do this!

There were rumours a while back that the sculpters were having problems with plastic sister models because the robes weren't working well for multi-part models. Now perhaps that was entirely false, perhaps they solved this by making them into mono-pose starter set models (starter set models are always mono-pose), of maybe the very fact that they were having problems creating multi-part sisters indicates that they were never being considered for the starter set (as they would not have run into this problem).

If 6th Edition did feature sisters, it would make history as the first starter set not to feature marines, and contrary to what people are saying, 40K is still as built around the marine army as it has ever been, if not more-so. Interestingly there are only 4 40K armies ever to have been in a starter set; Marines, Orks, Dark Eldar & Tyranids.

Still, if I were dreaming, I'd say a starter boxed set entitled "Massacre at Sanctuary 101" would launch 6th Edition in style.

IcedAnimals
22-08-2011, 17:04
There were rumors posted a while back from BoK saying it would not feature a xeno army or the imperial guard or ultramarines. A few people speculated it could be sisters + daemons. But I highly doubt we will get a sanctuary 101.

Eumerin
22-08-2011, 20:26
There were rumours a while back that the sculpters were having problems with plastic sister models because the robes weren't working well for multi-part models.

Supposedly the veils and hair were also causing problems.

But the same rumors also suggested that working on the Dark Eldar plastics (who have long flowing hair, and thus similar issues) helped the sculptor(s) to solve the primary problem.

stevegill
22-08-2011, 23:29
To all the Sisters players who are considering getting rid of their armies, I'd just hang on, we've waited this long, a little while longer won't hurt, we've got some new rules to keep us viable, and most people who care about the army already have enough models to field an army. Not great, but not a total disaster either. At worst, bench the models for the time being, none of the basic Battle Sister models is likely to become unfieldable under a new Codex, your Sister with a Boltgun will do just fine whether she's metal, Finecast or plastic.

This may be the case for pure Sisters players, but those of us that had mixed inquisition & SoB WitchHunter armies are now sitting with gaping holes in their army lists. I have had to remove three squads of inquisitional stormtroopers (that now have no home as they don't really fit in GK either :cries:) as well as move all my inquisitors over to the GK section. That's an awful lot of points no longer in the force.

Yes, I have a fair few unpainted sisters still in the to-do queue but quite likely not enough to fill all the gaping holes. So, yes, although I have been collecting them for years it looks I am going to have to pick up a fair few new figures as I'm certainly not going to want to start again with all-new figures like I have had to with DE.

Ixe
23-08-2011, 01:21
Model-wise, there's a lot of similarity between marines and sisters. The former are males in power armor, while the latter are females in power armor. I could see GW deciding to run with Sisters in the starter box because of that.

I'm personally doubtful. But I could definitely see GW taking a "Sisters are comparable" approach.

Seriously guys. This is how stupid rumors get started. There is NO information that SoB are the 6th ed starter box army. That has been 100% made up by peoples' imaginations, based on nothing. We can put that to bed right now before it actually becomes a "rumor." It isn't, it's pure speculation and shouldn't be treated as anything else.

Voss
23-08-2011, 02:04
Yes, looking forward to getting that from the newsagents this month, interesting that there haven't been any leaks this month, does this mean they've finally succeeded at keeping the content water-tight until release day?

It may be another WD with no real content. The Ogre release, on the other hand, seems to have every detail spelled out. So the watertight control seems... unlikely.

Crimson Reaver
23-08-2011, 09:28
This may be the case for pure Sisters players, but those of us that had mixed inquisition & SoB WitchHunter armies are now sitting with gaping holes in their army lists. I have had to remove three squads of inquisitional stormtroopers (that now have no home as they don't really fit in GK either :cries:) as well as move all my inquisitors over to the GK section. That's an awful lot of points no longer in the force.

Yes, I have a fair few unpainted sisters still in the to-do queue but quite likely not enough to fill all the gaping holes. So, yes, although I have been collecting them for years it looks I am going to have to pick up a fair few new figures as I'm certainly not going to want to start again with all-new figures like I have had to with DE.

I feel for you, I'd become pretty jumpy with the removal of the allies rules in the PDF Codex, so I'd been selling off my Stormtroopers and the like to my friends who collect Imperial Guard, but I'm still left with Assassins, Inquisitors and so on which I can't use now, and I don't fancy buying a Grey Knight army just to get the use out of them. In that position, if you've not got the models to field a "pure" Sisters army, I'd support anyone who decides to bail, sell the models for a decent amount of money and (possibly) look to come back in when the plastics arrive.

Sadly, GW seems to have two tricks to keep forcing us to revamp our armies.

1) Just flat out invalidate things, such as LatD, DH and WH.
2) Make the old staples of the army rubbish by comparison to the newest, shiniest stuff (ie the Carnifex being hit with the nerf bat).

Part of me still holds out the hope that Inquisitors will still be in the Sisters Codex when it breaks cover, but in a reduced role. Sadly, the probability of this happening is pretty low. If they're going to make us go with Confessors/Preachers, we need some new sculpts, the old ones are horribly out of date and limited.

IcedAnimals
23-08-2011, 16:13
There is nothing stopping you from using your inquisitor models as your "confessor/preacher". An inquisitor with a deathcult body guard just seems to fit more than a priest with one.

Eumerin
23-08-2011, 17:04
Seriously guys. This is how stupid rumors get started. There is NO information that SoB are the 6th ed starter box army. That has been 100% made up by peoples' imaginations, based on nothing. We can put that to bed right now before it actually becomes a "rumor." It isn't, it's pure speculation and shouldn't be treated as anything else.

No, rumors about SoB being in the 6th edition starter box get started when people start claiming that the box won't include marines or xenos.

No one knows what's in the box. I personally expect marines, but there are a lot of odd rumors going around right now that preclude marines from showing up. And those rumors have been floating around for quite a while now. They're probably spurious... but a few months ago I said the same thing about the WD Codex for the Sisters.

Jericho
23-08-2011, 17:18
Just started reading my Warhammer Monthly collection, starting from Issue 0. After remembering how awesome Daemonifuge was, I'll +1 the Sisters/Demons starter set. I'd love that :D <edit>What other kit has been AWOL for seemingly years? Plaguebearers. "Scourge and purge" makes an awful lot of sense when taking down Papa Nurgle's children! Pure conjecture, but my logic has led to accurate predictions in the past. </edit>

Side note: Daemonifuge is up as a Print on Demand title on the BL website. It's about bloody time... now release Kal Jerico: Contracts and Agendas and my life will be complete!

Santtu
23-08-2011, 20:36
Obligatory Bloodtide joke.

Archibald_TK
23-08-2011, 21:40
Not really sure where to put it so that thread is as good as any other I suppose. Some info on the SoB pricing started to pop on a french forum (Warhammer Forum, poster is Fenryll so that you know the source and people don't say I do a BoLS).

- Overall some units are costlier than before but not that much (Regular Sisters, Celestian, Dominion, Retributor).
- Some are less costly (Repentia, Seraph but pistols are costly, especially the melta ones cost more than a Fist)
- Special character are relatively cheap, nothing above 120 pts, multiple below 100.
- Heavy weapons cheaper than before (MM cost cut more than in half).

Commisar
23-08-2011, 22:11
Bleagh. Basic Sisters more expensive :(.

Inferno Pistols for seraphim overcosted... at least there in.

Cheap Multi Meltas. Probably massive stacks of Multi Melta sisters sitting on pallets in Lenton. Well, perhaps not. But its not something people used much.

Any Word on Wargear?

Would be good to know what COnfessors can be armed with (and for that matter, Veteran Sister Supers)

I am also curious about how the Deathcult/Crusader/Arcoflaggelents warband works. 0-1? Limits on the number of each kind of henchman?

Santtu
23-08-2011, 22:15
If inferno pistols cost more than a powerfist, they're probably 30. That's twice as expensive, however you get twice as many shots.

Muddypaw
23-08-2011, 22:17
So all the meat-and-potato units have gone up in price? Bloody marvellous

Archibald_TK
23-08-2011, 22:18
Some more info popped, I think I'll open a thread in Rumours.

Commisar
23-08-2011, 22:19
On the bright side, I'm assumeing the mandatory Rhinos have all gone down in price.

Unless you were allready useing Imperial Armour for your Rhino needs.

Muddypaw
23-08-2011, 22:21
Some more info popped, I think I'll open a thread in Rumours.

Thanks, that'd be good.