PDA

View Full Version : Fun Vets

Lord Gabranth
11-08-2011, 02:28
So Im thinking about running a fun squad of Veterans for my IG list. Im thinking about arming them all with shotguns and have one with a heavy flamer, two with regular flamers, and top it all off with Gunny Sgt. Harker. Mount them up in a Chimera and see how it goes. What do all you warseers think?

SanguinaryDan
11-08-2011, 02:44
If you are going to put them in a Chimera to make use of Harker's Relentless to shoot while moving then flamers probably aren't the best choice. To have a shooty squad take a look at using Grenade Launchers and give the Chimera a Heavy Stubber. You'll have six S6, three S5 and three S4 shots out to 24". That's an impressive amount of mobile firepower able to engage light armor and infantry. And it's cheaper than your original concept. :D

tu33y
11-08-2011, 10:29
i found harker to work well with a HB team and three snipers... sit them in cover and they can chuck out some brass.

but other than that SanDan has good advice.

but, if you wanna bring the flame, go for it bro. bring the flame and bring it big

Gen.Steiner
11-08-2011, 10:37
Harker, a HB team and three snipers in cover is a devilishly good idea.

Personally I think Bastonne would work better with the flamer concept; bonus points if you give the squad a demo charge as well...!

underachiever
11-08-2011, 11:28
wait... i didnt know IG could be 'fun' ? :P

Ezuli
11-08-2011, 12:37
When considering the rules for Harker, I think that mobile weapons for squad are more useful. Flamers, nadelaunchers, perhaps even plasmas. Harker's heavy bolter can fire while moving and they have Move trough cover, Infitrate and Stealth. If you use lots of cover in your games, these things are very useful. Just stick to cover, flame people, nade them and so on. Of course static unit with these rules is very hard to take out, but to me it is waste of Relentless.

wait... i didnt know IG could be 'fun' ? :P

I didnt know that IG could be "nofun" :D

Lord Gabranth
11-08-2011, 23:37
Harker, a HB team and three snipers in cover is a devilishly good idea.

Personally I think Bastonne would work better with the flamer concept; bonus points if you give the squad a demo charge as well...!

Actually I use Bastonne in a squad of Vets mounted in a Valk with 3 Plasma rifles. Drop them at 12" away from a squad and boom, 9 plasma bolts and 18 lasgun shots with First Rank Fire, Second Rank Fire!

The thing with Harker and the flamers is that I want to mount them up in the chimera so I can rapidly deploy them behind/in cover or near an enemy troop position so I can either eliminate with 3 S5 bolter rounds, 1 S5 template, 2 S4 templates, and 12 S3 shotgun shots. Didnt know if anyone had used this combo before but it seems like alot of fun.

ehlijen
12-08-2011, 01:32
Actually I use Bastonne in a squad of Vets mounted in a Valk with 3 Plasma rifles. Drop them at 12" away from a squad and boom, 9 plasma bolts and 18 lasgun shots with First Rank Fire, Second Rank Fire!

That's not how FRFSRF works. It specifically only applies to lasguns, not plasmaguns.

Lord Gabranth
12-08-2011, 06:37
Damn, for some reason I thought it was for all rapid fire weapons. But O' well. Now that Im corrected, how would bastonne be of use with a squad with flamers? May be a noob question but I just cant figure that one out, may just be overlooking something but currently I have the flu and cant really think straight as is.

Redscare
12-08-2011, 07:02
So Im thinking about running a fun squad of Veterans for my IG list. Im thinking about arming them all with shotguns and have one with a heavy flamer, two with regular flamers, and top it all off with Gunny Sgt. Harker. Mount them up in a Chimera and see how it goes. What do all you warseers think?

Just don't run into someone who will tell you that you can't fire any of the infantry flamers because their templates will hit your own vehicle.

Lord Gabranth
12-08-2011, 07:20
Just don't run into someone who will tell you that you can't fire any of the infantry flamers because their templates will hit your own vehicle.

1) I would have to either punch or dreadsock someone for doing that
2) Will be firing as many guns as I can from the Chimera before I disembark troops to shoot, then hopefully shoot again before assaulting the following turn.

ehlijen
12-08-2011, 10:59
Damn, for some reason I thought it was for all rapid fire weapons. But O' well. Now that Im corrected, how would bastonne be of use with a squad with flamers? May be a noob question but I just cant figure that one out, may just be overlooking something but currently I have the flu and cant really think straight as is.

Flamers'd be the worst special weapons for use with bastonne, as they'd benefit from none of his orders.

He can basically give you rerolls to hit, reduce enemy cover or give more shots to lasguns. Rerolls work best on meltaguns going after big things, reducing cover benefits plasma best as it's affected by cover the most and FRFSRF works best with guns that complement lasguns, ie more lasguns or possible frag grenades.

That's not saying flamers are a bad choice for his squad, they just don't make good use of his orders.

Lord Gabranth
12-08-2011, 15:41
Flamers'd be the worst special weapons for use with bastonne, as they'd benefit from none of his orders.

He can basically give you rerolls to hit, reduce enemy cover or give more shots to lasguns. Rerolls work best on meltaguns going after big things, reducing cover benefits plasma best as it's affected by cover the most and FRFSRF works best with guns that complement lasguns, ie more lasguns or possible frag grenades.

That's not saying flamers are a bad choice for his squad, they just don't make good use of his orders.

Thats what I figured about the flamers with bastonne but I wanted to make sure. And as for the orders that force rerolls to cover saves then the plasma wouldnt be that bad and kinda makes me rethink my tactics. But now Im going to run my squad with bastonne and plasma vets like how Im gonna run harker and his shotgun/flamer vets. Drop behind cover, rapid fire range, and force all rerolls to cover, or in the case of harker, ignore all your cover.

Getz
12-08-2011, 17:38
I've been using three GLs and an ML with Harker. Works pretty well in my experience, although obviously the ML is only relevant if you decide to stand still for a turn.

rodmillard
12-08-2011, 18:12
To the OP:

My Arbites themed guard consists almost entirely of carapace vets with shotguns, backed up by flamers and grenade launchers - one on foot, two meched and one in a valkyrie. They are supported by my Ratling S(K)WAT team, a sentinel squadron, and some penal legion troopers using Necromunda models.

An all assault weapon guard army is a lot of fun (even more so in cities of death) - and I don't even get complaints about Vet Spam, given that the effective range of most units is 12"...