PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf runes on a hand gun

Thénon
11-08-2011, 11:09
Been thinking of what to take in my dwarf list and was wondering what unconventional rune combos I could take.

I don't have the dwarf book at hand atm but was wondering about sticking a thane amongst my gunline with a runed up hand gun. Was thinking-

Rune of kragg(stays a hand gun)
Rune of might( double strength against t5+)
Rune of flaming

Is this legal as it is a weapon and I know you can put runes on a GW that you buy for him.

Also as handguns are treated as HW in combat would the runes work for both shooting and combat?

Artinam
11-08-2011, 11:12
To my knowledge Dwarf Weapon looses all it previous rules when you put a rune on it. So it becomes a handweapon. (Exception is the Rune of Alaric the Mad?, which makes a runed GW maintain its GW rules in addition to runes).

So it won't work for shooting. It does work for closecombat.

calnen
11-08-2011, 11:32
It's Kragg the Grim you're thinking of, and he's included it already.

I'd never thought of doing this! But dont see any reason why it doesnt work. So you're getting a single, Strength 8, flaming shot against a high toughness target. Presumably this is to remove regen from big monsters, before the rest of the unit shoots.

It's a lot of points though, not much less than a cannon.

Novrain
11-08-2011, 11:45
Nope, this cannot be done.

The wording of the RoKragg is "This rune can only be placed on great weapons"

calnen
11-08-2011, 15:58
Nope, this cannot be done.

The wording of the RoKragg is "This rune can only be placed on great weapons"

touche sir!

T10
11-08-2011, 23:02
Notice that the rules for Weapon Runes state: "Weapon runes are inscribed onto hammers or axes to turn them into runic wespons."

Surprisingly, Dwarfs do not make use of runic swords. Or runic handguns.

wingate32
12-08-2011, 13:38
Surprisingly, Dwarfs do not make use of runic swords. Or runic handguns.

Yet...:cool:

Odin
12-08-2011, 13:46
It does seem like a cool idea, shame it can't be done. It could be a great idea if they allowed Engineers to have runic handguns, give them something a bit different.

T10
12-08-2011, 15:28
It would not surprise me if the new Dwarf book allows the Engineer to take an upgrade that bestowes magical flaming attack to his gunpowder weapons... Or even to the unit he joins.

Well, actually it would surprise me because my powers of foresight have yet to make me a millionaire.

warmong3r
12-08-2011, 15:47
Well, actually it would surprise me because my powers of foresight have yet to make me a millionaire.
Just wait, it comes in time... $$$ ;)

Kalandros
13-08-2011, 00:47
No gun mages for Fantasy.. yet~

No-One
13-08-2011, 02:17
skaven = having gunmages

dont they?

Kalandros
13-08-2011, 07:12
Eh, they don't really count for what a Gun Mage should be.

theunwantedbeing
13-08-2011, 11:31
Yet...:cool:

Nope, 8 unique items per race, Dwarves are unlikely to be an exception so we'll not see the runic system be altered to allow for such things in all likelihood.

Which is a crying shame if you ask me.

T10
13-08-2011, 12:57
Sounds like a magic user with a firearm. Or is it something Japanese?

Kalandros
13-08-2011, 13:22
A gun mage shoots spells from his guns. Bullets that contain spells, not warpstone bullets after casting a warplightning! ;P

sulla
14-08-2011, 05:51
Nope, 8 unique items per race, Dwarves are unlikely to be an exception so we'll not see the runic system be altered to allow for such things in all likelihood.

Which is a crying shame if you ask me.It would be shame. Let's just wait and see though. I won't believe they are going down that road until I see it (or a reliable rumourmonger says it on warseer).

Yrrdead
14-08-2011, 06:16
Well the rumor mongers are saying OK have 10 items. So mayhaps it isn't as hard and fast a rule as it initially appeared to be after TK and OnG.

T10
14-08-2011, 09:25
While this seems to be turning into a rumors thread, I'd like to chip in:

The 7th ed. OK didn't use shields (the Enchanted Shield was noticably absent from their Common Magic Items list). It may be that thread will be picked up in the new army book, in which case it is justifiable to see a couple more OK specific items to keep the number of avaialble items on the standard level.

As for Dwarfs, it seems odd that GW would even consider replacing the rune system (which has been with us since 4th ed., if not longer) with regular magical items.

Then again, how about a set of Master Rune you can tack onto existing Common Magic Items? E.g. A Killing Blow Master Rune you can inscribe onto a Sword of Anti Heroes or a Biting Blade? Or a +1 Toughness Master Rune you can inscribe on an Enchanted Shield or the Glittering Scales? Surely that would limit the number of runes you'd need to include in the army book, but still provide a good number of possible combinations.

But there I go dreaming again.

sulla
15-08-2011, 05:12
They'd have to be expensive, to make up for their utility, but it would work.

grumbaki
15-08-2011, 13:29
While this seems to be turning into a rumors thread, I'd like to chip in:

The 7th ed. OK didn't use shields (the Enchanted Shield was noticably absent from their Common Magic Items list). It may be that thread will be picked up in the new army book, in which case it is justifiable to see a couple more OK specific items to keep the number of avaialble items on the standard level.

As for Dwarfs, it seems odd that GW would even consider replacing the rune system (which has been with us since 4th ed., if not longer) with regular magical items.

Then again, how about a set of Master Rune you can tack onto existing Common Magic Items? E.g. A Killing Blow Master Rune you can inscribe onto a Sword of Anti Heroes or a Biting Blade? Or a +1 Toughness Master Rune you can inscribe on an Enchanted Shield or the Glittering Scales? Surely that would limit the number of runes you'd need to include in the army book, but still provide a good number of possible combinations.

But there I go dreaming again.

Huh. That's actually a pretty good idea. I like it. :)