PDA

View Full Version : Shaggoth question!!!

joebretonnia
11-08-2011, 19:21
Ok so I played a WoC player this weekend and he took a unit of three Dragon Ogres and it was led by a Dragon Ogre Shaggoth. I'm pretty sure that can't be done but I couldnt find it in the rulebook. Can anyone tell me a reference page I can point to and say "here is the rule"?

Thanks in advance

Verchild
11-08-2011, 19:30
Unless I'm mistaken as well, The Dragon Ogre Shaggoth is a RARE choice. Not a hero or Lord. So it can't join other units.

That would be like be having my unit of Black Orcs, being lead by a Giant.

misterdance
11-08-2011, 19:33
This was interesting.

The Shaggoth has the "Monster" troop type (BRB, pg. 489 - Bestiary).

Monsters (BRB, pg. 85) are said to "normally don't form into units but roam the battlefields on their own". So, unless there is a rule where a Shaggoth can join units (i.e. as a character), then I would not allow this. As it so happens, there is no rule stating a Shaggoth can join units (monstrous infantry or not).

I have not checked if there is an FAQ changing this ruling.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Verchild. I would LOVE to have a Giant lead my Blorcs!

popisdead
11-08-2011, 19:55
Or a Treeman Ancient lead a unit of 17 Treekin :P

Verchild
11-08-2011, 20:14
This was interesting.

The Shaggoth has the "Monster" troop type (BRB, pg. 489 - Bestiary).

Monsters (BRB, pg. 85) are said to "normally don't form into units but roam the battlefields on their own". So, unless there is a rule where a Shaggoth can join units (i.e. as a character), then I would not allow this. As it so happens, there is no rule stating a Shaggoth can join units (monstrous infantry or not).

I have not checked if there is an FAQ changing this ruling.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Verchild. I would LOVE to have a Giant lead my Blorcs!

There would totally be a rule that if you roll a "Grab and..." that you grab your own guys instead. lol. As if having a giant wasn't unpredictable enough.

Warrior of Chaos
11-08-2011, 20:29
The Shaggoth is a monster and does not join units. It is not a character. Even Kholek has the "ancient pride" rule which forbids him from joining units.

joebretonnia
12-08-2011, 01:07
Thanks for the feedback out there! Unfortunately the Shaggoth being in that one unit with the three Dragon Ogres held up my sweeping motion across the battle field. I was pretty happy with the amount of damage I was able to put out and take back with the 36 Spearelves I had against this unit.

Next time it will be a different story though of course! Thanks again

P.S. I play Bretonnia as well as High Elves.

RanaldLoec
12-08-2011, 09:16
Or a Treeman Ancient lead a unit of 17 Treekin :P

Yeah the unit cap of 12 is a right pooper, Treemen ancients are too grumpy to join units any way.

popisdead
12-08-2011, 18:48
There is a unit cap on Treekin? Oh,... Makes a Monsterous Horde of them that much more unlikely then.