PDA

View Full Version : Magic and Buildings

stashman
12-08-2011, 00:04
Some questions have come up since my miss on Hand of Gork units into buildings.

Can you Raise Zombies inside an empty building, or does it count as impassable terrain in magic phase?

Can you leave a building with Hand of Gork, Vanhels, Bestial Surge or Skitterleap (all movement spells)?

Mr_Rose
12-08-2011, 09:25
Buildings count as impassable terrain in all phases as far as I know.
That some of them have a special rule that allows you to remove units from the board when they come into contact with the building than act as if they were inside it doesn't mean they have actually entered the build g in the same way as they would enter a forest, by actually moving onto the terrain piece, is irrelevant.

T10
12-08-2011, 09:46
The raise dead spell follows rules that are very similar to the hand of gork. These spells do not disallow putting units in buildings, it's just impossible to do so when following the instructions.

stashman
12-08-2011, 09:51
Thanks alot. We have played it that it worked :wtf:

stashman
16-08-2011, 10:51
If you have a unit already in a building, can you cast Invocation of Nehek to raise new models?

Scalebug
16-08-2011, 10:59
Yes.

And using my powers of foresight; Yes, you can cast Invocation on a unit deployed in the Watchtower from the start, even if the scenario says they can be max 20 models. That limit is only during deployment...

stashman
16-08-2011, 11:34
So as long as you are in a building, you can raise models, if not in building you can't in an empty building.

T10
17-08-2011, 10:21
Yes.

And using my powers of foresight; Yes, you can cast Invocation on a unit deployed in the Watchtower from the start, even if the scenario says they can be max 20 models. That limit is only during deployment...

Actually, Invocation of Nehek also comes with a set of very specific instructions as to how models are added to the unit. These rules also assume that the unit is in a regular formation, same as the Raise Dead and Hand of Gork rules.

-T10

Atrahasis
17-08-2011, 11:30
The building rules don't change a unit's formation.

Mr_Rose
17-08-2011, 11:35
We had that discussion in this week's other thread about buildings and it turns out theer is a line or two about the formation of the unit being disrupted. What rules effect that has is not actually specified further IIRC.

T10
18-08-2011, 13:32
The building rules don't change a unit's formation.

Apparently they do:

Not sure where you got that idea. The rules say that the unit is considered to be spread out and this is why you get less hits with templates and so on.

SteelTitan
20-08-2011, 09:20
So as long as you are in a building, you can raise models, if not in building you can't in an empty building.

I'm sorry to bump this up a little but is this the general consensus?

Which rule disallows raising zombies in a building / watchtower?

Mr_Rose
20-08-2011, 11:07
The spell itself forbids creating new units in impassable terrain and buildings are impassable terrain.
The fact that they have a special rule that allows you to remove units that touch that terrain from the board and pretend they are inside the impassable terrain does not alter the fact that it remains a piece of impassable terrain.