PDA

View Full Version : WoC Nurgle army 1250 points.

TheOneHawk
12-08-2011, 02:40
1250 points

160- Warshrine with mark of Nurgle.

220- 10 warriors with shields, mark of Nurgle and full command.

112- 20 marauders with great weapons, standard and musician.

325- 10 chosen with shields, wailing banner, full command, favour of the gods and mark of Nurgle.

243- Chaos Lord with mark of Nurgle, additional hand weapon and luckstone.

159- Exalted Hero with BSB, mark of Nurgle and additional hand weapon.

30- 5 warhounds.

1249 total.

Basically, the main problem with this list is I wasn't able to fit in any magic. I felt I needed a BSB for the huge bonus's, and I couldn't fit a sorcerer hero in with him. Sorceror lord cost more points than the hero and I really really want to play with some chosen. I'm only likely to be facing one magic heavy army, though, so I should be all right. The idea is basically to have that chosen unit be impossible to kill and at the same time deal out an incredible amount of damage. Odds are at least decent that I'll get the ward save and the +attacks on them, and when they get into combat things should pretty much melt. Even with them being the target for my oppositions magic, I don't think there's much at 1250 points that can really hurt that kind of a power unit. Opinions?

TheOneHawk
12-08-2011, 02:44
Damnit, I'm dumb. Is there a way to get it to say WoC instead of BoC for my army? Doesn't look like I can edit it.

thesheriff
12-08-2011, 15:59
I think your too hero/lord heavy.

You've spent alot of points on a chaos lord. And the points on him could go on making your units better.

I'd drop him, and get festus. Then, bulk the warriors to 17 big with halberds, MON, Frenzy banner.

Also, chosen are very expensive. I'd drop them for more Marauders. You need numbers. And 10 will go to 7 by the time you hit combat. And 7 chosen wont do enough damage.

And, your hero needdefensive kit. Necrotic phylacraty minimum. Possibly dragonhelm too.

thesheriff

immortal git
12-08-2011, 17:07
I second all thesheriffs points. exalted heros are better than a lot of combat lords :| so your lord is pointless, that unit of warriors suggested should dominate.

TheOneHawk
12-08-2011, 18:42
I don't have enough marauder models for another decent sized unit, and I've also been hugely unimpressed by them. I had them equipped with shields MoN and FC and every single game they did precisely nothing for me (this was at 750 points, it's an escalation league) Barely ever won any kind of combat, barely hurt enemies. I had more combat success with my warhounds at a fraction of the cost. I understand that they're honestly better than that and that I've just had terrible luck with them, but so far I've been very happy with the performance of my warriors against the people I've played.

The reason I have a lord and not another hero of some kind is that I don't have a lot of hero room. This is a 1250 point game, I only have 312 points for heroes. Festus puts me over if I want to have a BSB. So does a chaos sorcerer. I might be able to fit in another exalted hero if I go cheap on equipment.

In regards to 7 chosen not doing enough damage, I'm kind of confused by why you think that. I had 4-6 warriors win me games at 750. Chosen are a lot better.

If I drop the lord and replace him with an exalted hero, I can give him MoN, shield or AHW and then 18 or 19 points of equipment unless I cut something from my BSB. I would then have some points to spend on buffing my rather weak marauder unit and hopefully adding 5 more dogs for flank protection.

thesheriff
12-08-2011, 22:02
I don't have enough marauder models for another decent sized unit, and I've also been hugely unimpressed by them. I had them equipped with shields MoN and FC and every single game they did precisely nothing for me (this was at 750 points, it's an escalation league) Barely ever won any kind of combat, barely hurt enemies. I had more combat success with my warhounds at a fraction of the cost. I understand that they're honestly better than that and that I've just had terrible luck with them, but so far I've been very happy with the performance of my warriors against the people I've played.

Thats because there;

A) too small. They are effectively 20 empire swordsmen after all
B) there equipped wrong. Marauders work as (ironically) the hammer. Warriors are tougher, have better WS (often being hit on 5s), and better armour.
Marauders with GW put out a shed load of high strength attacks, and absorb the casualties before well 'cus there's loads of them.

The reason I have a lord and not another hero of some kind is that I don't have a lot of hero room. This is a 1250 point game, I only have 312 points for heroes. Festus puts me over if I want to have a BSB. So does a chaos sorcerer. I might be able to fit in another exalted
hero if I go cheap on equipment.

Just take Festus. Two Warriors of chaos characters is ample at such a comparatively low level. One will be fine

In regards to 7 chosen not doing enough damage, I'm kind of confused by why you think that. I had 4-6 warriors win me games at 750. Chosen are a lot better.

Firstly, 750 is alot different to 1250. 1250 opens up the possibilitys of lv4 magic, lords in general, bigger units and big hitters. Comparing them in my experience, is pretty irrelevant.

Secondly, Really?!? The eye of the gods is nice, but other than that, there pretty much identical. The Ws5 and Ws6 work out the same in almost all senarios (especially with MON).

7 models, will not do enough damageto negate steadfast. Which buys time for the opposing player to pick off the rest of your army with magic and shooting. Or, get units to the flank of your chosen and kill them with prolonged combat. 8th = Attrotion. And unless your 7 models are greater daemons, your units will not gain VC. Your 300-something pt unit of chosen can take 10 casulaties before it gives away VC. My 30 man unit of bloodletters can take 30. And mine is core, more deadly, has more wounds and roughly the same points.

If I drop the lord and replace him with an exalted hero, I can give him MoN, shield or AHW and then 18 or 19 points of equipment unless I cut something from my BSB. I would then have some points to spend on buffing my rather
weak marauder unit and hopefully adding 5 more dogs for flank protection.

Already said above, just take gratis. Gives you lots of points to play with.

TheOneHawk
12-08-2011, 22:46
So you don't think having a BSB is worth it at 1250? I'd be the only one not to have one, tbh, Skaven had it (and a lord) at 750, Dwarfs and DoC will have it for 1250 for sure. Re-rolling break tests seems to be a pretty huge advantage.

Also, why Festus? Poisoned attacks and regen for the unit is nice, but his pursuit sucks if I win combat, and if I try to keep him out of combat for magic then he's not giving anyone the aforementioned regen and poison.

thesheriff
13-08-2011, 08:21
So you don't think having a BSB is worth it at 1250? I'd be the only one not to have one, tbh, Skaven had it (and a lord) at 750, Dwarfs and DoC will have it for 1250 for sure. Re-rolling break tests seems to be a pretty huge advantage.

Also, why Festus? Poisoned attacks and regen for the unit is nice, but his pursuit sucks if I win combat, and if I try to keep him out of combat for magic then he's not giving anyone the aforementioned regen and poison.

Well, all of those armies can have a bsb for less than 125pts. Your army, being warriors, has very expensive characters. It is wishful thinking to assume your gonna get a bsb in at 1250pts

Festus has curse of the leper basic, gives your unit poison and regen. He is a liability in combat, but your I5 warriors should be able to kill the majority of the unit off before the enemy has a chance to bring to many attacks to bear on Festus.

TheOneHawk
17-08-2011, 08:28
Ok, so I completely redesigned this army. I played a game with a slightly edited version of it, and when my frenzied (altar of Khaine) chosen with additional hand weapons, +1 attack and 4+ ward from EotG went to charge 30 horded bloodletters supported by a warshrine and flanking dogs, they rolled double ones and got hit in the back by flyers and got slowly tied up for the rest of the game. I have thus decided that while that unit probably would have put a world of hurt on the bloodletters, I don't like depending on one unit to get the job done when a bad roll can cost me the game like that.

Updated list. My heroes seem kind of unequipped but they are pretty solid at this points without any frills, imo. The BSB would be in the warriors (6x3) and the sorcerer would be in the marauders (5x6 with two extra because I had 11 points and figured 2 extra wounds before losing rank could be handy)

150- Chaos Sorcerer with level 2, necrotic phylactery and mark of Nurgle
160- Exalted hero with BSB, mark of Nurgle and shield
167- 31 marauders with great weapons musician and standard
372- 17 warriors with shields, full command, blasted standard and mark of Nurgle
205- Hellcannon
30- 5 warhounds
30- 5 warhounds
135- 3 trolls
1249 total

Thoughts?