PDA

View Full Version : Woodelve Tree Spirit deathstar,

RanaldLoec
14-08-2011, 10:57
Not a very viable, efficient, effective or realistic unit pure theory really but here goes.

A front rank of 8 Branchwraiths, being characters their not skirmishes.
Two rear ranks of 10 Treekin.

Yes I know its not a horde but to get the front and rear ranks to line up without displacing the branchwraiths due to different base sizes it has to be 8 wide as the treekin unit cap is 12

It's over 1000 points but it was more a fun thought than a practical unit.

Djekar
14-08-2011, 12:37
So if you're concerned about it being a horde why not make it 12 Treekin standing (6x2)behind 12 Branchwraiths?

I think the biggest problem with the unit (other than the aforementioned point cost) is the fact that people are actually targeting the weaker Branchwraiths up front who give up their points when they die as opposed to the Treekin behind who are tougher with an AS and more wounds who only give up points if all 10(12) of them die.

RanaldLoec
14-08-2011, 15:46
The 25mm bases wouldn't match up with the 40mm bases. So the branchwraiths would be added onto the side of the unit as per the brb placement on abnormal base sizes joining units.

At 8 wide the branchwraiths base width matches the 5 treekin bases exactly at 200mm. Like I said its a fun in theory, not great in practice.

oCoYoRoAoKo
15-08-2011, 06:32
I may be wrong as i don't have my rulebook to hand but i thought that you couldn't attach infantry characters to monst-infantry units (same reason why the old troll-star list with Sigvald+BSB+Throgg no longer works).

RanaldLoec
15-08-2011, 10:29
I may be wrong as i don't have my rulebook to hand but i thought that you couldn't attach infantry characters to monst-infantry units (same reason why the old troll-star list with Sigvald+BSB+Throgg no longer works).

Unless a character has a specific rule forbidding them from joining units then a character cam join any unit of any type except monsters.

So infantry, cavalry, warbeasts, monstrous infantry, m cavalry or m warbeasts can be joined by characters.

They just don't benefit from the look out sir rule and if the base size won't fit into the unit formation the character is placed on the front rank at the side of the unit.

Eg a mounted character classed as cavalry joining an 20mm based infantry unit gets placed at the side.

Leth Shyish'phak
15-08-2011, 11:31
The 25mm bases wouldn't match up with the 40mm bases. So the branchwraiths would be added onto the side of the unit as per the brb placement on abnormal base sizes joining units.

At 8 wide the branchwraiths base width matches the 5 treekin bases exactly at 200mm. Like I said its a fun in theory, not great in practice.

Are you saying that because the 8 Branchwraiths are as wide as 5 treekin, that they can all go in the front rank, displacing the treekin? Because I'm fairly certain that that isn't how it works. Any character whose base isn't the same as/compatible with the unit's bases will be stuck out at the side, regarldess of how many of them there are. So, you'd end up with 4 Branchwraiths sticking out each end, which would just be silly. :D

Djekar
15-08-2011, 13:50
^ What he said. I was thinking that they were 25mm in a 50mm unit, which now that I think about it still wouldn't work because of the wording of that rule. Hrm...

popisdead
16-08-2011, 20:09
I found running two units of 6 backed with a Life-weaver to be really good. I kept healing the wounds back and people just felt they were never going to break from combat due to high wound output, high T, good saves and a BSB backing them.

You can always toss both units in vs whatever if you wanted too.