PDA

View Full Version : New Winter Assault info?

Lt Cmdr Blade
20-03-2005, 12:51
With no computer games forum, i figured i'd post this here.

Relicnews (http://www.relicnews.com) have some new info gleaned from a German gaming mag, is it genuine? I hope so :D .

Units in squads look varied now, have slightly different height, faces and so on

There's a new feature called 'Kill-Cam' which shows a close-up of those spectacular finishing moves

Commissar is included, and boosts the morale by executing soldiers. He'll be the secondary hero.

Sanctioned Psycher is in

Techpriest Engineer is in. He repairs vehicles, and one of the screenies shows him carrying an axe for close combat

The Sentinel is in, the IG's walker unit

The Baneblade will have awesome firepower, but a rather weak armor

The Chimera troop transporter allows units to fire from the inside

The main hero will be the Imperial Captain, which is just a bit weaker than the Force Commander. Games Workshop will bring the unit to the tabletop soon.

The 4 older races will get new units, but the article doesn't mention which

There will be a 'good' campaign which will let you play the Space Marines, Eldar and the Imperial Guard, and an 'evil' campaign which will allow you to play with the Chaos Space Marines and Orks. Each of them will consist of about half a dozen missions.

boogle
20-03-2005, 13:03
looks good, but there is no reason for GW to bring in the Imperial Captain as he could be made from the Heroic Senior Officer in the IG Codex

Don't get the Baneblades weak Armour, frontally it is the equal of the Landraider, its only at the back it should suffer from weaker armour

If this going to be backwards compaible (as in you can take the Guard units in DOW?

Lt Cmdr Blade
20-03-2005, 13:10
Don't get the Baneblades weak Armour, frontally it is the equal of the Landraider, its only at the back it should suffer from weaker armour

I think thats probably what they are going for, i mean it wouldn't make much sense to have weak front armour on a Baneblade.

boogle
20-03-2005, 13:12
it seems silly though that weak weapons will be able to take the armour down on these vehicles though

Lt Cmdr Blade
20-03-2005, 13:16
Yeah, if they are really that powerful and it were me putting them in the game, i would either make them really expensive or limit the number you can have.

boogle
20-03-2005, 13:17
I guess it will be limited to just 1 as its the Equivilent of the Squiggoth, Avatar and Bloodthirster

Samoth
20-03-2005, 14:23
I thought the concept of "armour" was redundant - only hp mattered?

And the imperial captain, almost as good as a force commander? Forgive me if this was just luck, but:

I once had a force commander take on a chaos lord, and kill him, and then a chaos sorcerer, and then kill him, and then some possessed, where he killed a few and the assault marines finished them off, and then another chaos sorcerer. He's on half life or so now - it's a saved, unfinished game.

And also, I saw an ally's force commander stomp a big mek on full health in a matter of seconds.

Imperial Guard captain almost as good? :eek:

EVIL INC
20-03-2005, 14:29
I guess it will be limited to just 1 as its the Equivilent of the Squiggoth, Avatar and Bloodthirster
I totally agree with this. Or if it is not, make it take up a lot of vehicle slots so that it is still only one vehicle allowed and lowers the number of other tanks available.
Would be nice to see them have some rough riders as they are equivelant to assault marines or maybe even ogryns to equate termies.
Personally, I cant wait to get new chaos toys.

Kargos Bloodspit
20-03-2005, 22:44
Imperial Guard captain almost as good? :eek:

With the faith of the emperor behind them, who knows what they can do!
God, thats a scary thought, especially since i've been playing as chaos quite a bit lately.

Pikachu
20-03-2005, 23:19
i think they are giving the baneblade a low armour value to compensate for the huge amount of firepower its gonna pack.
i mean seriously, in game its gonna have 2 battlecannon, 2 lascannon and 2 twin heavy bolters, thats enough to kill and/or break a biggish unit of foot troops, and seriously damage vehicle units in one burst.

if they didnt make it lose armour, all we would see is forum after forum on the net with cock knockers going "OMFG!!111!!11!111!!1, t3h b@n3blade iz S000OOO0OO ov3rp0w3rd!1!!, it r t3h suxx0rZz!1!!".

as for the other units available to IG, they should be fairly balenced, the IG ally units in DoW are pretty good and true to form, so lets hope they dont **** it up when they expand on them.

New Cult King
21-03-2005, 06:49
I'm looking forward to having Guard in the game... the screenshots of the Baneblade are just cool.

I would love, though, to have some normal Terminators for Chaos. I know they tried to make the Imps and Chaos different, but I feel that Chaos are a bit lacking in units...

Anyway, I take my hat off to you Relic. You guys rule.

Nid
21-03-2005, 08:06
I demand enough to roll a Baneblade Company. At least 3 of them, ala the screenies.

Samoth
21-03-2005, 08:09
Dont get your hopes up nid. I see them being more like a blood thirster than a landraider.

On the other hand, if the game stays true to the table top, they will be better than both. :eek:

boogle
21-03-2005, 08:14
by the way, its not 2 Battlecannon. its 1 Battle cannon and 1 Demolisher Cannon

Rabid Bunny 666
21-03-2005, 12:50
it doesn't matter, it will disintegrate anything within range nyway

Iuris
21-03-2005, 13:47
Actually, armour is quite present in DoW. Each unit has an armour type assigned to it, like "infantry_heavy_high" for terminators, or vehicle_light. Now, each unit inflicts different amounts of damage to different types of armour. If I remember correctly, warp spider weaponry does 10 times more damage to light infantry than it does to heavy infantry.

Which of course makes me wonder why baneblades would not be heavily armoured AND have a ton of hit points... Armour of a Leman Russ, HP of three would do it justice...

Wolflord Bloodangel
21-03-2005, 14:05
Well the screeny definately shows multiples, so I assume theyd be more like the Land Raider (maybe even 6 vehicle cap).

Oh, and despite those tails of heroism from Space Marine commanders, the Chaos Lord is statistically better.... its just there is definately a random aspect in the game, so anything can happen ;)

x-esiv-4c
21-03-2005, 14:07
looks good! I hope they expand the storyline some more.