PDA

View Full Version : Skaven 13th spell vs. Monstrus infantry

Tak'tur
14-08-2011, 11:33
Hi... i have a question for you...

In the Skaven army book, in the description of "The dreaded thirteenth spell"
it written:

This spell can affect a single infantry unit...
... the spell turns 4d6 of the targeted unit's models into clanrats.." p79

The army book is from the 7th addition... and there was "infantry" and "ogres size models"

Now... in the 8th addition-
there is "infantry" and "monstrous infantry"

"We could perhaps have honestly called this category "big infantry", but it does lack a certain gravitas. For the most part, monstrous infantry work exactly the same as normal infantry(i.e. follow the standard rules" p81 BRB

SO... is the Skaven magic can work on unit of ogres or not?

thanks... :chrome:

Lord Zarkov
14-08-2011, 12:01
Monstrous Infantry =/= Infantry, something that only affects Infantry won't affect Monstrous Infantry as they are a separate classification.

ihavetoomuchminis
14-08-2011, 12:39
Agree with lord zarkov. The rules are clear.

Lordy
14-08-2011, 13:48
Nope doesn't work on ogres, also won't work on units like Skink/Kroxigor as they are a "mixed" unit.

And thank god it doesn't either, rediculous spell as it is already.

T10
14-08-2011, 14:06
While it is true that the previous edition classified Ogres as Infantry, you would hardly expect a new player to be aware of this. To him it says "infantry", and does not mention "monstrous infantry".

Mercules
14-08-2011, 14:34
I've had this go-round with a few Skaven players. That spell is ridiculously powerful against expensive models where you have only a few per unit. 4d6 averages 14 models, how many Mon-Inf models do you typically see in a unit?

When the Skaven book was written it appears some of the rules for 8th were hashed out, thus some of the odd rules in the Skaven book that now are redundant like hitting everything under the template.

So it makes sense that Infantry was written to mean just that, Infantry. No Monstrous Infantry, not Cavalry, not Warmachines, not mixed units, not anything that includes Infantry models, or the word Infantry in it's catagory... which is an argument a few Skaven players have tried to make.

Grimgormx
15-08-2011, 00:46
So it will affect infantry models, so it can transform a lord in a dragon (just the lord) because it is infantry if not mounted?

Tregar
15-08-2011, 01:21
Nah- an infantry character mounted on a monster becomes a monster for rules purposes, so he can't be 13th.

Kalandros
15-08-2011, 01:26
Killing Blow will still affect the mounted lord but the 13th spell goes by Troop type of the unit, the Lord on Dragon is a Monster troop type - you can't single out its Infantry component like when you decide who to strike against in Close Combat.

Zed!
15-08-2011, 08:28
I can sort of understand the confusion though, because by every rule of grammar, all monstrous infantry are infantry. Just like all white horses are horses.

Tregar
15-08-2011, 11:59
That's true except where you're talking about specific nouns ("Infantry", "Monstrous Infantry"). To you a White Horse might be a horse- to me it's the pub down the road ;)

Mercules
15-08-2011, 13:28
I can sort of understand the confusion though, because by every rule of grammar, all monstrous infantry are infantry. Just like all white horses are horses.

That would depend upon the context. In the context of a game where "infantry" is a specific part of the rules, all monstrous infantry are not infantry.