PDA

View Full Version : New(er) plastics?

Guirgi
15-08-2011, 03:12
So I've decided to come back to the hobby after a 5 year break, and I have a question about the plastics.

I bought the Island of Blood starter set and immediately noticed the plastics are much darker than I remember (dark grey vs. light grey). Did they change the recipe? Also, is it me, or have they gotten A LOT better at putting details in these models. These models are amazing, and I especially appreciate how well they fit together (with a few exceptions).

Thanks for the input.

The bearded one
15-08-2011, 04:05
The past few years the quality of the plastics has indeed increased exponentially and they may very well have changed the recipe. Some of the newest plastic kits are just phenomenal and make you wonder why they even bother with metal & resin at all :)

Lars Porsenna
15-08-2011, 04:20
Personally I liked the earlier lighter gray plastic. But the current generation of plastics don't seem to be any different, other than having a lot more die in them. One interesting observation: the amount of die in the plastics vary from one production run to another; if you buy a lot of bits from vendors, this becomes very apparent!

Damon.

New Cult King
15-08-2011, 04:20
I've noticed variations in the colour of the plastics over the years, but it doesn't seem to affect the strength of the plastic itself.

And yes, GW's latest plastics are just gorgeous. They really are doing wonderful stuff.

Balerion
15-08-2011, 05:20
I notice a difference between new plastic and old (or have tricked myself into thinking that I do). The older stuff feels "oilier", perhaps a touch softer and more pliable, while the new stuff feels slightly more rigid. I prefer the new recipe.

NTJ2010
15-08-2011, 06:37
I agree that the newer stuff is more rigid but the older stuff seems a little more brittle, but maybe that's just me (comparing my old Bezerkers to my newest box of them)

Jarakin
15-08-2011, 16:33
Not sure about you guys, but I'm finding the mould lines worse than ever on the new plastics. I do agree about the general quality of the detail though, there are some amazing plastic models these days...

jme
15-08-2011, 16:41
Not sure about you guys, but I'm finding the mould lines worse than ever on the new plastics. I do agree about the general quality of the detail though, there are some amazing plastic models these days...

I think the opposite, with the new big kits there are very few mould lines and the way the models go together the mould lines that are there are mostly hidden.

Lars Porsenna
15-08-2011, 17:27
I think the opposite, with the new big kits there are very few mould lines and the way the models go together the mould lines that are there are mostly hidden.

Tend to agree. The last 2 kits I bought for fantasy were the DE Sorceress and Black Dragon. Almost no mold line clean up neccessary, just a few swipes with sandpaper/files in the normal areas. I think older kits are worse in this regard, but the newer kits I've been buying seem to be pretty good...

Damon.

vinush
15-08-2011, 22:05
I've been sorting through my stuff recently, and the older sprues bend a lot before breaking whereas the newer stuff snaps far sooner.

THE \/ince

pointyteeth
15-08-2011, 23:05

Tend to agree. The last 2 kits I bought for fantasy were the DE Sorceress and Black Dragon. Almost no mold line clean up neccessary, just a few swipes with sandpaper/files in the normal areas. I think older kits are worse in this regard, but the newer kits I've been buying seem to be pretty good...

I agree. I just put together the terrorgeist and I wont have to do more than a quick scrape with the knife and its almost ready to go. I have to add that the joints are almost gap free. Plastic has gone up leaps and bounds from the days of the mono-pose plastic figures (even if those were the days of the nicest dwarf plastics)

The bearded one
15-08-2011, 23:09
I remember assembling the hell pit abomination a while back. Putting it together was like a 3D puzzle (and without the assembly guide it would've been impossible), but in total I had to use my knife about 5-6 times.

fruitystu
15-08-2011, 23:32
I know it's not Fantasy, but the new Dark Eldar stuff is absolutely stunning! Kits go together like a dream, and yet with a complexity you wouldnt have believed 4 or so years ago.

decker_cky
16-08-2011, 08:05
Older plastic was definitely softer. Mould lines aren't as bad on most newer kits I've seen. I remember the old clanrats were an absolute nightmare to remove mould lines from. New ones are simple and quick to remove.

Shimmergloom
16-08-2011, 13:16
Did they change the recipe?

They put a drop of unicorn tears in every box. Hence the constant price increases(they make unicorn's cry).