PDA

View Full Version : Ethereal and Barding

Lester
15-08-2011, 15:00
Ethereal states:

They are also never slowed by any special rule, spell or item that would otherwise reduce their movement or stop then from moving completely.

Given that, would a mounted Ethereal model who can barding (like Black Knights) have it's movement reduced or not if the horse is barded?

Mercules
15-08-2011, 15:22
You should probably read the FAQs on the GW site.

Q. If a Skeletal Steed is given barding, does the model suffer a -1
Movement penalty? (p45)
A. Yes.

Lester
15-08-2011, 15:42
You should probably read the FAQs on the GW site.
I am on my phone and didn't have the PDF with me (but I had the rulebook), so yeah, I should have.
Topic over. :)

BigbyWolf
15-08-2011, 16:12
Ethereal states:

Given that, would a mounted Ethereal model who can barding (like Black Knights) have it's movement reduced or not if the horse is barded?

Giving barding to a Black Knight actually removes their ethereal ability anyway.

Mercules
15-08-2011, 16:46
Giving barding to a Black Knight actually removes their ethereal ability anyway.

Um... WHAT:confused:

Can you give a rule quote or break down the rules you are using to come to that conclusion?

Lester
15-08-2011, 16:52
Please point me to where in the BRB or any Army Book it says so. I've only heard that in this forum but I've searched both the Army Book and BRB with no find to such a rule. I even just checked the VC FAQ online, no mention on this.

Lester
15-08-2011, 16:57
By the way, Skeletal Steeds don't have Etherel technically, as all the Insubstantial Steeds says is "For movement purposes only, a model mounted upon a Skeletal Steed is treated as Ethereal."

Mid'ean
15-08-2011, 17:20
Um... WHAT:confused:

Can you give a rule quote or break down the rules you are using to come to that conclusion?

He can't. It doesn't exist.

Mercules
15-08-2011, 17:30
He can't. It doesn't exist.

Which would be why I asked him to present it. :D

Mr_Rose
15-08-2011, 17:34
I think it might have existed in a previous VC army book, but that's not really relevant anymore.

Tregar
15-08-2011, 22:26
I was assuming his post was ironic.

BigbyWolf
16-08-2011, 10:40
Hmmm, up until you all started doubting me I was 100% positive. Does it not say something under the Black Knight heading in the actual army list section? Somewhere around the “add barding for 4 points” and then make reference to losing their insubstantial ability once added? Don’t have the book to hand at the moment. I know that they used to lose it when I dropped Konrad into the unit, but I thought the barding did remove it too.

I’ll check myself later to satisfy my own curiosity.

Avian
16-08-2011, 10:43
It does no such thing.

Lester
16-08-2011, 11:35
Hmmm, up until you all started doubting me I was 100% positive. Does it not say something under the Black Knight heading in the actual army list section? Somewhere around the “add barding for 4 points” and then make reference to losing their insubstantial ability once added? Don’t have the book to hand at the moment. I know that they used to lose it when I dropped Konrad into the unit, but I thought the barding did remove it too.

I’ll check myself later to satisfy my own curiosity.
It does not. <_<

Tregar
16-08-2011, 11:47
It does say that if you add a model with non-ethereal movement to the unit, they all lose the power, which is why adding Konrad did that. However, Konrad is not barding. I cannot emphasise this enough.

BigbyWolf
16-08-2011, 17:51
Yup, ignore me. Characters without skeletal steed get rid of it, barding does not. I think my brain was combining that rule with the Marauder horses losing Fast Cav due to L/Arm & Shields.

I've got a face, if anyone has a spare palm?

Maxis Lithium
08-09-2011, 05:57
By the way, Skeletal Steeds don't have Etherel technically, as all the Insubstantial Steeds says is "For movement purposes only, a model mounted upon a Skeletal Steed is treated as Ethereal."

I thought this too but looking at the FAQ, it says to ignore this rule and the etherial rule as defined in the army book and instead use the etherial USR. this makes black knights hard as nails IMO.

I apologize for the mild thread necromancy but given it is about the undead, a little resurection seems in order as it also answered a question I had and it is always better to post in am existing thread then to start a new one.

Yrrdead
08-09-2011, 06:25
Hmm.
Here is the rule for Insubstantial Steeds with appropriate bit removed per the amendments. Underline emphasis is mine.

Insubstantial Steeds: For movement purposes only, a model mounted upon a Skeletal Steed is treated as Ethereal. If a unit mounted on Skeletal Steeds is joined by a character without a Skeletal Steed it loses this ability, and thus suffers terrain penalties for movement as normal.

Maxis Lithium
08-09-2011, 07:21
Hmm.
Here is the rule for Insubstantial Steeds with appropriate bit removed per the amendments. Underline emphasis is mine.

You are correct sir. My apologies. I saw this: Page 48 – Ethereal Creatures & Ethereal Movement Ignore these special rules. Use the Ethereal rule from the Warhammer rulebook. and came to the wrong conclusion.

thank for that.