PDA

View Full Version : Gear for a Skaven Warlord on Warlitter

Reckoning11
16-08-2011, 01:39
Im going to expand my Skaven army to 3k points and will be including a Warlord on a warlitter in a block of clanrats 40 strong along with the BSB. The idea is that between the warlitter and the command of the clanrats the BSB can be safely in the second row (unit is 5 wide). My question is what would be a good loadout for the warlord? Im leaning towards a giving him defensive gear so he doesnt die, but he could give the clanrats some offensive punch possibly as well.

So if anyone has any ideas or experience with a warlord on a warlitter Id appreciate any help people can offer.

Also I am working out on what banner to give the BSB. I have a smallish unit of stormvermin that can bring a banner as well (18) for flanking and I will want to take the stormbanner someplace since my army is more CC oriented rather than shooty.

Thanks again for any replies!

Tzeentch Lover
16-08-2011, 02:42
Warlock-augmented Weapon
Warpstone Armor
Dawnstone
Shield

Gives him a re-rollable +2 armor save that causes a S4 hit every time he makes an armor save and 5 S5 attacks.

For the BSB, I'd probably just go with Storm Banner if you want or maybe the Razor Banner of Banner of Eternal Flame. Honestly, I'd give the storm vermin the Storm Banner and give the BSB defensive stuff. One your opponent sees what you are doing with the unit, he is just going to hit your champ to force the BSB into arms-reach.

Reckoning11
16-08-2011, 03:22
Sounds like a good set up for the warlord. I was thinking of puting a chieftain with just a halberd in the unit as well to delay for an extra round if they do kill the champion or anything. I figured the AP or Flaming banner wouldnt be that great on clanrats so it makes sense to give the BSB some armor in case he does end up in the front rank. I was more thinking the stormvermin might be able to put the AP or flaming banner to use, but for a unit of 18 I dont know if theyre worth it. Especially the AP banner.

Fritzallmighty
16-08-2011, 04:58
If you really wanted to force the BSB into a back rank, why not saturate the front rank(s) w/ naked, 15pt warlock engineers? Cheesy as hell, but probably reasonably effective.

Reckoning11
16-08-2011, 06:02
I like being a bit fluffy with my army and Im a bit limited on models, but I could put one in the unit instead of a naked chieftain. It would definately be cheaper points-wise, but not as killy. I wouldnt do more than that though, Im not making it into a tourney list or anything yet. Just to practice and for friendly games.

Jolly Puggles
16-08-2011, 06:38
Warlock-augmented Weapon
Warpstone Armor
Dawnstone
Shield

This isn't too shabby, but it lacks a Ward Save. Warpstone Armour and a Shield is good for the 2+ Armour Save with return hits, but instead of a Dawnstone, I'd recommend a Foul Pendant for the Ward. This, unfortunatley, means that you can't afford the Warlock-Augmented Weapon, so I typically take a Blade of Corruption as the 'cheaper option'.

Haravikk
16-08-2011, 12:36
Personally for cost effectiveness I end up going for the Halberd every time, if you want a road-block character then ward + some improved defence should serve you fine, no need to waste points on extra offence as a halberd is just fine.

In general though offensive weapons are going to be points that you could better spend elsewhere anyway, either on beefing up units even more, or throw on assassin if what you want is a character hunter :)

Reckoning11
16-08-2011, 17:39
Would giving the warlord the potion of strength combined with a halberd or HW/S along with a ward save and either a 2+ or 3+ AS (depending on halberd or HW/S) decent? That way he could use the potion if he runs up against anything too nasty?

Jack of Blades
16-08-2011, 17:47
Personally for cost effectiveness I end up going for the Halberd every time, if you want a road-block character then ward + some improved defence should serve you fine, no need to waste points on extra offence as a halberd is just fine.

In general though offensive weapons are going to be points that you could better spend elsewhere anyway, either on beefing up units even more, or throw on assassin if what you want is a character hunter :)

This.

Wanna kill expensive stuff? Weeping Blade + Potion of Strength on an Assassin. Keep your Warlord cheap and cheerful if you're going defensive with him :)

ftayl5
16-08-2011, 23:49
I think the halberd is a good way too go as well.
This is because no matter how tough the Warlord his, if his unit gets butchered and breaks - he's getting run down just as quick as everyone else and all that magic gear will be useless.
Better to buy an extra few ranks of Clanrats IMO.

Reckoning11
17-08-2011, 02:25
Yeah that makes sense having him cheaper then getting more rats, never a bad thing with skaven. So something like a halberd, dragonhelm, and the fould pendant (5+ ward) would be good?

Jack of Blades
17-08-2011, 10:17
Yep looks good to me for a cheap and cheerful Warlord.

Balerion
17-08-2011, 18:17
If you really wanted to force the BSB into a back rank, why not saturate the front rank(s) w/ naked, 15pt warlock engineers? Cheesy as hell, but probably reasonably effective.
Not effective at all. As characters they are targetable, and die to a stiff breeze, rocketing the BSB forward into the line of fire.