PDA

View Full Version : Overwhelmed by skulls

CrystalSphere
16-08-2011, 18:53
So i was putting up some of the new tomb kings miniatures, only to realise that about 90% of the details in the miniatures are skulls. There is already a lot of skulls in the army (being undead and all that) but i never realised how boring the details of the miniatures are, just more skulls.

There are some good ones like scarabs or some egyptian symbols (like the eye of horus), but they are very few compared to the horde of skulls. Im at a loss currently as i am not looking forward to painting all those skulls, and i wanted to give my TK a historical flavour adding more egyptian things, but it will be quite the work to remove all those silly skulls that are pretty much everywhere in order to replace them with something else. I also found boring how the war sphinx howdah is made of bones, instead of something that you know, is not a part of the human skeleton.

I was wondering if anyone else is bothered with the heaps of skulls in the tomb kings miniatures, or in the rest of the GW range for that matter. I like the theme of the tomb kings but i dont know if i would be able to stomach all these skulls that keep popping everywhere.

loveless
16-08-2011, 19:04
I'm relatively certain that GW Staff have mentioned on numerous occasions that the way to "Warhammer-ize" something is to cover it in skulls.

Sculpting interns at GW actually spend 8 hours a day making individual green stuff skulls to be placed on any flat area on a Warhammer model.

Confessor_Atol
16-08-2011, 19:09
One of my friends counted 217+ individual skulls on the war-sphinx.

That's a lot of skull-duggery!!:D

kargenetic
16-08-2011, 19:25
Sculpting interns at GW actually spend 8 hours a day making individual green stuff skulls to be placed on any flat area on a Warhammer model.

I want to believe that was a joke. I truly, truly do.

Malark
16-08-2011, 19:27
Well fortunately for me I play Skaven and Bretonnia so there's not room for skull abuse. That aside, if you like the egyptian symbols maybe you could use instant mold to make duplicates of them?

ivan55599
16-08-2011, 19:35
Skulls for the Skull Throne! They could have been useful for something Khornish thing...monolith or something else. I have always shortage of skulls!

abdulaapocolyps
16-08-2011, 19:46
Yeah,GW does love its skulls... I'm going mantic and other indi ranges for my tomb kings, so I can have a necromancer keeping everyone alive and a log lost warrior at the head...
There a funny bunch those tomb kings. I love Egypt,love undead but somehow Haye every single tomb king model.I have no idea why.

Vandelan
16-08-2011, 19:53
I was wondering if anyone else is bothered with the heaps of skulls in the tomb kings miniatures, or in the rest of the GW range for that matter. I like the theme of the tomb kings but i dont know if i would be able to stomach all these skulls that keep popping everywhere.

It's an army... of skeletons. Skulls are going to be on EVERYTHING.

How could you not see this coming?

Scammel
16-08-2011, 20:02
I don't mind it. Nothing says both grim-dark and over-the-top, the two core themes in both of GW's universes, than copious quantities of over-sized skulls.

falcone
16-08-2011, 20:04
It's an army... of skeletons. Skulls are going to be on EVERYTHING.

How could you not see this coming?

Yeah, one skull on everything- the skeletons heads. Not 30 skulls on every model. What do these undead leaders do when they raise an army? Order all their skeleton warriors to remove previous icons from their uniforms and replace them with skull icons?

Leogun_91
16-08-2011, 20:13
Yeah, one skull on everything- the skeletons heads. Not 30 skulls on every model. What do these undead leaders do when they raise an army? Order all their skeleton warriors to remove previous icons from their uniforms and replace them with skull icons?No they let their death obsessed people keep it's skull iconography feeling a constant hatred for the passage to the afterlife it represents but will never grant them.
Nehekara was obsessed with death, lots of skull iconography fits for them.

Jack of Blades
16-08-2011, 20:20
Yeah, one skull on everything- the skeletons heads. Not 30 skulls on every model. What do these undead leaders do when they raise an army? Order all their skeleton warriors to remove previous icons from their uniforms and replace them with skull icons?

These guys had pyramids of skulls containing dead people larger than cities, the highest you could progress in their society was to become a guy who studies death and kept himself & others alive by turning into living corpses, they had a megalomaniacal wizard kill everything in the land and cause the land itself to die, their leaders were obsessed with death and defying it, their society probably wasn't that mild what with figures like Settra setting the benchmark, they fought wars of survival against the living dead only barely succeeding after generations of slaughter, after they finally succeeded in preserving themselves for life after death they were raised thousands of years later as corpses instead of the golden figures they imagined and you blame them for decorating themselves with skulls? :p

xxRavenxx
16-08-2011, 20:27
CAD design 101: Flat area - Cover in skulls from the stock image folder.

CAD design 102: Mouth? Just poke a shouty face in there. Mouths are for pussys...

The joys of the modern age, eh? :)

Confessor_Atol
16-08-2011, 21:19
CAD design 103: if the mouth is open sculpt a tounge sticking out..... with a skull on it.

CrystalSphere
16-08-2011, 21:25
Well fortunately for me I play Skaven and Bretonnia so there's not room for skull abuse. That aside, if you like the egyptian symbols maybe you could use instant mold to make duplicates of them?

Thanks, but Im afraid i have never done anything with molds. The only thing i know is that with greenstuff (or maybe a cheaper variant) it is possible to make molds too. Is that what you were refering to?

No they let their death obsessed people keep it's skull iconography feeling a constant hatred for the passage to the afterlife it represents but will never grant them.
Nehekara was obsessed with death, lots of skull iconography fits for them.

True enough, but frankly the over-use of skulls is boring and unimaginative where there is so much egyptian symbols to use instead. Imagine that wood elf wardancers got, instead of celtic-like runes as tatoos, little trees everywhere on their body. You could have trees on their shields and banners, little gems fashioned as trees, trees reliefs on all their weapons and armour, etc.

I can get past those undead musicians (if they can magically speak, then they could magically blow horns too) but those little skulls...:shifty:

Sexiest_hero
16-08-2011, 21:33
Well, You are playing an army of a people who lived in big tomb cities...Before they were even undead.

Skywave
16-08-2011, 21:50
These guys had pyramids of skulls containing dead people larger than cities, the highest you could progress in their society was to become a guy who studies death and kept himself & others alive by turning into living corpses, they had a megalomaniacal wizard kill everything in the land and cause the land itself to die, their leaders were obsessed with death and defying it, their society probably wasn't that mild what with figures like Settra setting the benchmark, they fought wars of survival against the living dead only barely succeeding after generations of slaughter, after they finally succeeded in preserving themselves for life after death they were raised thousands of years later as corpses instead of the golden figures they imagined and you blame them for decorating themselves with skulls? :p

Indeed, they were a society obsessed with death (or defying it). Also in the first TK book, it is said that after the kingdom turned undead, the Liches and their undead servants (there was no Necrotect back then) started to modify and rescult hieroglyphs, statues and everything to depict their new unliving state (don't remember if it was by the order of the Kings, but it could be). So knowing that it's kinda normal to see skulls everywhere on models from the TK range. At least I prefer them there than on Empire stuff...

Urgat
16-08-2011, 22:13
Hehe. Almost no skulls on my gobs :p

R-Love
17-08-2011, 01:57
Mouths are for pussys...

:evilgrin: I approve of this. Clearly you are a man of Wisdom. :p Or a woman trying to drop a hint :shifty::D

rabblerouser
17-08-2011, 02:07
I agree with you. The GW skull thing is getting ridiculous. The tower of sorcery would be cool if they toned down the skulls. They also ruined the gameboard by stuffing skulls in the cracks of the earth.

Nazerth
17-08-2011, 02:15
Where's the rest of all of them I wonder?

The people those skulls once belonged to, I mean :rolleyes:.

Gork or Possibly Mork
17-08-2011, 03:37
So you picked Tombkings as an army because but you didn't want alot of skulls:confused:

If there is any army that deserves tons of skulls it's Tombkings. That's part of who they are and not just because they're dead. It's part of thier image and background.

Yeah of course GW is obsessed with skulls but i really don't understand the complaint for this.

It's almost like saying im a vegetarian but i hate vegetables and won't eat them. :p

zachattack46
17-08-2011, 03:46
I always thought gw went a bit to heavy on skulls but was never really bothered with it until recently. I was helping a friend put together/paint a realm of battle board for a winter theme and eventually realized these giant pits filled with what else? More skulls! I could see skeletons or something but it just seems like all the animals in the warhammer world eat every bit of bone and flesh but never touch the skulls on the dead.

falcone
17-08-2011, 05:24
Sorry guys, I was speaking about undead in general, not specifically about the Tomb Kings.

Malark
17-08-2011, 06:19
Thanks, but Im afraid i have never done anything with molds. The only thing i know is that with greenstuff (or maybe a cheaper variant) it is possible to make molds too. Is that what you were refering to?

http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/tools-and-misc/instant-mold.html

There you go, there's are several videos on youtube if you're interested on seeing it in action. I must say it could take quite a few tries to get the hang of making molds, but it comes quite handy.

eron12
17-08-2011, 06:22
I always thought Warhammer went a little overbaord with skulls, then the realm of battle board to it to a whole new level of silliness.

You are not the first to ponder this. DM of the Rings (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1203)

Halelel
17-08-2011, 06:35

You just deciphered GW's mysterious third undead army, the shambling headless horde of stolen skulls.

They seek revenge on every other Warhammer race for mocking them with their bountiful skull iconography! :D

Gorbad Ironclaw
17-08-2011, 06:47
I don't mind it. Nothing says both grim-dark and over-the-top, the two core themes in both of GW's universes, than copious quantities of over-sized skulls.

It stops being "dark" and macabre when skulls are everywhere on everything. Sometimes less is more in design. And while it certainly is over the top, that also tends to be, IMO, a poor design choice once you have seen it once or twice, as then it crosses into the category of it just being silly.

NTJ2010
17-08-2011, 07:09
We have a game at my store, it's called find the GW terrain without skulls...

The new Garden of Moor kit literally (as far as I remember) has a skull (or more) on every bit. I'm sure if they could, GW use skulls for the registered trademark symbol to save them energy.

By the way, love the idea of their interns spending 8 hour days creating skulls.

loveless
17-08-2011, 17:04
To be fair, the Garden of Morr deserves to have skulls everywhere, as it's a Fantasy graveyard and Morr tends to be depicted with some sort of skull imagery when he shows up.

I'm guessing Chaos is responsible for the overstock of skulls. Maybe they get bored and start "blessing" their followers into Spawn with multiple heads. Maybe the ancient underdwellers of the Warhammer World were many-headed humanoids that bred like mad, which would explain why cracking open the ground reveals bundles of skulls :p

I'm surprised there isn't a GW model yet that has its entire suit of armor composed of just skulls. We've had skull capes, skull shoulder pads, and I'm pretty sure we could find a skull codpiece if we look hard enough, but no all-skull armor? Come on, GW, I'm disappointed! :D

eldargal
17-08-2011, 17:09
An undead nation that was obsessed with death and undeath before becoming undead? I think skulls make sense.

Also I don't find skulls on the Empire range to be particularly overwhelming, there are some though. Lot on the terrain I admit. Few on the High Elf, Bretonnian and Wood Elf ranges. Not so many human skulls on the Lizardmen range. Etc. It is hardly as universal as some like to make out.

Also, the Catacombs of Paris:

Malorian
17-08-2011, 17:14
I'm just waiting until the whole thing really turns into a joke.

You already have Skulltaker, and it would be quite easy to change his fluff to be like the Hamburgler of McD.

There could even be a new mission where you are trying to protect the skulls from Skulltaker ;)

snottlebocket
17-08-2011, 17:16
You can't really blame them. Have you seen the garden of Morr? Apparently the place is so full people started stacking up the skulls against the fence.

Lord Dan
17-08-2011, 17:28
Actually, I find the lack of skulls somewhat disturbing. I find myself asking: "Why can I see flat surfaces like uniforms and armor when they could, theoretically, be stamped with skulls?"

GW has the technology. There's no reason for us to have drab and historically accurate models like the stream tank and greater daemon of tzeentch when we could have a skull tank and greater skull of skull.

Don't get me wrong, GW is making an effort. Here's their "Temple of Skulls" terrain piece, for instance:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440008a&prodId=prod2120011
A fine attempt, but I find myself asking one question: "Why aren't there more skulls?" Look at all that skull-less real estate on that bad boy. You could have skulls on the pillars, skulls on the path leading to a massive skull face in the ground.

Get your act together, GW.

Ironmonger
17-08-2011, 17:41
I love it when this thread comes around! :D

Andy p
17-08-2011, 17:48
I think I may have said this before, but they really do need to bring out Skulltor.....

The Giant skull, make of skulls, that shoots out skulls when it speaks!!!!

And anyone wounded by the skulls? Turns into a skull.

snottlebocket
17-08-2011, 18:11
I think I may have said this before, but they really do need to bring out Skulltor.....

The Giant skull, make of skulls, that shoots out skulls when it speaks!!!!

And anyone wounded by the skulls? Turns into a skull.

http://privateerpress.com/iron-kingdoms/miniatures/boneswarm

loveless
17-08-2011, 18:25
Far too many non-skull bones on the Boneswarm, snottlebocket.

I've actually seen that model successfully used many times as a necromancer base adornment.

snottlebocket
17-08-2011, 18:31
Far too many non-skull bones on the Boneswarm, snottlebocket.

I've actually seen that model successfully used many times as a necromancer base adornment.

How, was the necromancer surfing a bone wave?

loveless
17-08-2011, 18:42
How, was the necromancer surfing a bone wave?

I've seen that (typically ridiculous, but with the right pose it looks more like "crashing down upon victim" than "surfs up, zombie dudes").

I've also seen ones on undead steeds where the steed was leaping out or forming out of the boneswarm.

Boneswarms aren't all that original - most of the RPGs I've played have had them in the core book or in an expansion. I am a bit surprised that Warhammer doesn't have an equivalent.

falcone
17-08-2011, 20:23
Don't get me wrong, GW is making an effort. Here's their "Temple of Skulls" terrain piece, for instance:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440008a&prodId=prod2120011

I would think that the Temple of Skulls would have more skulls than that. That thing is seriously lacking.

rodmillard
17-08-2011, 21:56
I would think that the Temple of Skulls would have more skulls than that. That thing is seriously lacking.

Obviously they have all been stolen to adorn Empire uniforms :shifty:

NTJ2010
18-08-2011, 06:52
I was always told that, in the Warhammer and 40k universe, practical cement, plaster, etc. were never developed so they just used skulls and melted skulls for all walls/tanks/weapons/armor/etc. Naturally, every so often an unmelted one slips in.

falcone
18-08-2011, 07:10
Obviously they have all been stolen to adorn Empire uniforms :shifty:

We just need the Chaos warp energy (or what ever it is) to fuse the Imperial troops into the temple.:evilgrin:

I was always told that, in the Warhammer and 40k universe, practical cement, plaster, etc. were never developed so they just used skulls and melted skulls for all walls/tanks/weapons/armor/etc. Naturally, every so often an unmelted one slips in.

Cities built of skulls. Makes things much more grimm.

Lord_Byron
18-08-2011, 07:43
I would strongly prefer skulls over the heart-shaped gems bedecking my silver helms. Would you like tomb guard covered in hearts instead? You could call the 'Light of Death' the Care Bear Stare.

Munin
18-08-2011, 07:58
One of my friends counted 217+ individual skulls on the war-sphinx.

That's a lot of skull-duggery!!:D

I counted them on my friends Necrospinx, I got to 243 :D.

popisdead
18-08-2011, 21:39
I was wondering if anyone else is bothered with the heaps of skulls in the tomb kings miniatures, or in the rest of the GW range for that matter.

It is campy, annoying and silly. Just make the Skulls add ons you 'can' attach but (obviously) look better without. Minus the skeletons,.. they should have a skull on top thier spinal coloumn.

"I went to war, I work in construction, but Warhammer is the only place I've seen things built out of skulls" - local gamer.

CrystalSphere
28-08-2011, 12:19
I just found this interview with Mark Harrison, the sculptor of the recent TK release: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=16400028a

Inside i found this interesting bit:
Something I had to be really careful about though was making the model understandable. It's easy to make a model for yourself that you know and love, but it's a lot harder to make a model that everyone else will appreciate too. It's like a visual language, you either understand it or you don't, and I had to make sure that this model was unmistakably 'Warhammer' and not just an ancient sphinx. That's why it's covered in skulls. A scorpion is still a scorpion until it gets a skull for a face - then it's a Warhammer scorpion. It's not quite as simple as that, but I'm sure you get the idea.

I think this pretty much settles it.:wtf:

hobbs3023
28-08-2011, 12:33
Ok... It's Warhammer... and Tomb Kings. Of course there's a ton of skulls. They even put skulls in their citadel forest... you should have expected no less.

So i was putting up some of the new tomb kings miniatures, only to realise that about 90% of the details in the miniatures are skulls. There is already a lot of skulls in the army (being undead and all that) but i never realised how boring the details of the miniatures are, just more skulls.

There are some good ones like scarabs or some egyptian symbols (like the eye of horus), but they are very few compared to the horde of skulls. Im at a loss currently as i am not looking forward to painting all those skulls, and i wanted to give my TK a historical flavour adding more egyptian things, but it will be quite the work to remove all those silly skulls that are pretty much everywhere in order to replace them with something else. I also found boring how the war sphinx howdah is made of bones, instead of something that you know, is not a part of the human skeleton.

The bearded one
28-08-2011, 14:32
A culture focussed, nay obsessed even, with death, who's necropolises outgrew the houses of the living and who's honoured dead outnumber all the living in the old world twice over, features skulls on their armour and architecture? Well, I have never heard of something so strange and unfitting!

red_zebra_ve
28-08-2011, 17:12
Skulls? The blades of my old DE Black Guard are covered with skulls!!!

Inquisitor Kallus
28-08-2011, 17:26
http://amazingnotes.com/2010/11/06/evora-chapel-building-made-of-human-skull/

There are a few instances of skulls being used in buildings and so on, and as a number of people have suggested the Nehekerans were obsessed with death..

The bearded one
28-08-2011, 17:53
Or this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_of_Paris

Rosstifer
29-08-2011, 11:16
I just found this interview with Mark Harrison, the sculptor of the recent TK release: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=16400028a

Something I had to be really careful about though was making the model understandable. It's easy to make a model for yourself that you know and love, but it's a lot harder to make a model that everyone else will appreciate too. It's like a visual language, you either understand it or you don't, and I had to make sure that this model was unmistakably 'Warhammer' and not just an ancient sphinx. That's why it's covered in skulls. A scorpion is still a scorpion until it gets a skull for a face - then it's a Warhammer scorpion. It's not quite as simple as that, but I'm sure you get the idea.

I think it's safe to say his tongue was very much in his cheek when he said that ;)

snottlebocket
29-08-2011, 11:21
I think it's safe to say his tongue was very much in his cheek when he said that ;)

Any other day I'd agree. But this is GW we're talking about. They're probably quite serious.

Nomen Mendax
29-08-2011, 20:01
Or this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_of_Paris

Or this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capuchin_Crypt

popisdead
30-08-2011, 23:28

Nope, Mark Harrison is to blame for the Minotaurs. His voice doesn't count. Only Jes Goodwin and Juan Diaz can make up rules.

WoodElfGeneral
31-08-2011, 05:07
I think the all the GW ranges in general have to many skulls on them, but thats just cause I'm not really into looking at fleshless, dead human heads. That's just me though:p

eldargal
31-08-2011, 07:31
Well, let's see:

Very few to non in the High Elf Range
Very few to none in the Wood Elf range
Very few to non in the Dwarf range
Very few human skulls in the Lizardmen range, lots of dinosaur skulls though
Lots in the Dark Elf range (death and destruction obsessed)
Lots in the Empire range (death obsessed)
A few in ogre range
A few in the daemon range
Lots in the WoC range
Few to none in the Bretonnian range
Quite a few on the OnG range.
Lots in the Tomb King range (undead obsessed with death from before they were undead)
A few in the Skaven range
Lots in the VC range (undead obsessed with death and destruction)

So yes that totally equals skulls plastered on everything GW produces.:rolleyes:

falcone
31-08-2011, 10:33
Few to none in the Bretonnian range

It depends on what your Bretonnians look like.;)

The bearded one
31-08-2011, 10:42
As far as I can remember, there are 0 skulls in the dwarven range, and none in the high elf range either I think.

eldargal
31-08-2011, 12:03
I thought as much but couldn't remember so I erred on the side of caution to avoid anyone saying something like 'raaargh, tehre r 1 skull on dorf range, ur whole argument is erroneous, raargh'.

Rosstifer
31-08-2011, 12:11
Nope, Mark Harrison is to blame for the Minotaurs. His voice doesn't count. Only Jes Goodwin and Juan Diaz can make up rules.

He also sculpted the Varghulf, Sphinxes, Chaos Knights and the Chosen as a few examples. He's a good sculptor in my opinion.

The bearded one
31-08-2011, 12:25
The new sphinxes are one of my new favourites! From now on I love Mark Harrison.

Nubl0
31-08-2011, 13:56
I have about 12 of the new minotaurs and really they are actualyl quite nice models. The 'eavy metal paint job did however make them look hidious. I personally hate their current style of cartoony extreme highlights.

Rosstifer
31-08-2011, 14:10
I have about 12 of the new minotaurs and really they are actualyl quite nice models. The 'eavy metal paint job did however make them look hidious. I personally hate their current style of cartoony extreme highlights.

I like the Minotaurs also. Especially the Doombull.

Ealdwulf
31-08-2011, 14:34
So you picked Tombkings as an army because but you didn't want alot of skulls:confused:

If there is any army that deserves tons of skulls it's Tombkings. That's part of who they are and not just because they're dead. It's part of thier image and background.

Yeah of course GW is obsessed with skulls but i really don't understand the complaint for this.

It's almost like saying im a vegetarian but i hate vegetables and won't eat them. :p

Ha Ha ha, well said sir, well said!

I mean if Bretonnians had skulls all over them, then sure, maybe you can complain a bit, but you are not only playing an undead army, but an undead army who's culture in life was obsessed with death...

popisdead
31-08-2011, 19:10
He also sculpted the Varghulf, Sphinxes, Chaos Knights and the Chosen as a few examples. He's a good sculptor in my opinion.

That's what annoys me. He has some really nice stuff and then,... Minotaurs,.. :/

Little Joe
31-08-2011, 19:40
As far as I can remember, there are 0 skulls in the dwarven range, and none in the high elf range either I think.

High elves had a lost skull in the IOB box on a base for a reaver, it looked so out of place, but easy to remove.

The day dwarfs get skulls on the actual models I will quit collecting them from GW. They can cover them in ancestral face like symbols all the way for all that I care though.:D

theJ
31-08-2011, 19:49
High elves had a lost skull in the IOB box on a base for a reaver, it looked so out of place, but easy to remove.

The day dwarfs get skulls on the actual models I will quit collecting them from GW. They can cover them in ancestral face like symbols all the way for all that I care though.:D

Prince Althran on foot has one as well. It doesn't ruin the model, but it doesn't really add anything either.

As mentioned, scaling down on skulls for Tomb Kings and replacing them with glyphs, scarabs, etc. would probably improve the range quite a lot. Alternatively, the bulk of them should be made optional, at the very least.
I'm not saying to remove them, merely to scale down a bit on 'em.

CrystalSphere
31-08-2011, 19:59
I simply picked Tombkings because i like egyptian history and culture, as well as the whole idea of undead egyptians, not a fan of vampires, zombies or ghouls. Im fine with some skulls on the miniatures but on the TK range it reach a ridiculous level where 9 of every 10 details is a skull. Its the same level of silly as the high elves were with the hearts in 5th edition or the wood leves with their tree-shaped gems, all of those are gone with the recent miniatures. Even the dwarves, who have dwarf-faced medallions, use a whole lot of other symbols (mainly runes) to avoid the constant repetition of having little faces of dwarves everywhere.

I actually like the skulls, it fits with the undead theme, the problem is when it is used everywhere at the expense of the original theme (egyptians). Id rather expand of the egyptian symbols rather than strap a skull on a scorpion and call it a GW scorpion. It feels like a lazy job, simple as that.

loveless
31-08-2011, 20:24
I think the thing is - they aren't "Egyptian" but "Egyptian-inspired". The concept is there, but since 7th edition we've seen GW attempt to further "Warhammerize" their armies - to make them more unique in relation to the competition (even if GW doesn't acknowledge them).

There are plenty of Egypt-inspired symbols and decorum on Tomb King models (though they do pale in comparison to the skulls :p), but the Tomb Kings are not about emulating Egypt so much as they are emulating death - the focus was always on the afterlife, and a skull has long been an apparent symbol of death.

I look at Nehekhara/Khemri/what-have-you as what the Empire would be if Morr surpassed Sigmar as the primary deity. We already see substantial Morr worship and reverence on Imperial models (skulls, hourglasses, black roses in some cases). Swap out all of the hammers and comets with more Morr symbols and you'd probably get a decent feel of what a living nation obsessed with death would look like in Warhammer-land.

sulla
31-08-2011, 20:42
That's what annoys me. He has some really nice stuff and then,... Minotaurs,.. :/
I like the minotaur sculpts. They are so brutal and menacing on the tabletop and as many have said, so much better with any paint job other than the current GW one.

I actually like the skulls, it fits with the undead theme, the problem is when it is used everywhere at the expense of the original theme (egyptians). Id rather expand of the egyptian symbols rather than strap a skull on a scorpion and call it a GW scorpion. It feels like a lazy job, simple as that.

They don't have skulls on them because they are undead; that's the tacky VC thing; skulls and bats everywhere.

TK have skulls on everything because the Nehekarans were obsessed with their mortuary cult. Far more obsessed than Egyptians because their mortuary cult actually gets results; near immortality for it's priests. They are not Egyptians, just like HE are not Greek city states, and the Beastmen are not Germanic tribes and the Orcs are not mad Scotsmen etc. They have some influences, but they have existed long enough in GWs mythos to develop their own, seperate personality, rather than being straight copies of their historical influence.

Urgat
31-08-2011, 21:18
I like the minotaur sculpts. They are so brutal and menacing on the tabletop and as many have said, loof so much better with any paint job other than the current GW one.

I agree. I'll refrain to mention I prefer the previous ones, though, because I know I'm on my own on this one.

popisdead
01-09-2011, 21:49
I like the minotaur sculpts.

Also forgot the new Savage Orcs. Square muscles :confused:

sulla
01-09-2011, 22:20
Also forgot the new Savage Orcs. Square muscles :confused:What shape do real Orc's muscles grow? :D:p;)

Lord Zarkov
01-09-2011, 22:33

The heavy Egyptian them is a recent (6th ed) invention, back in the days of WHA: Undead, while there were a few Egyptian elements on the units that were eventually split off into TK, it was more of a slight spice to the main theme (skulls).

They had chariots made of skulls (http://www.solegends.com/citcat94/cat1994057-02.htm) (or spines at least); bolt throwers made of skulls; flails made of skulls; and even, looking at the pictures in the 4th Ed army book, their buildings were made of skulls! :p (or made to look like they were made of skulls at least).

I mean check out Arkhan's Chariot (http://www.solegends.com/citcat94/cat1994048-01.htm), stylised skulls on everything and even a manticore skull hung on the front for good measure!

Zaustus
02-09-2011, 02:00
Or this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capuchin_Crypt

Or this.

falcone
02-09-2011, 06:17
They had chariots made of skulls (http://www.solegends.com/citcat94/cat1994057-02.htm) (or spines at least); bolt throwers made of skulls; flails made of skulls; and even, looking at the pictures in the 4th Ed army book, their buildings were made of skulls!

Skulls for the skull throne!

Urgat
02-09-2011, 13:44
I mean check out Arkhan's Chariot (http://www.solegends.com/citcat94/cat1994048-01.htm), stylised skulls on everything and even a manticore skull hung on the front for good measure!

And a chaos star. Traitor!

Hannimar
02-09-2011, 14:21
People keep posting pictures of real life buildings with skulls. These buildings are ossuaries! These are buildings were bones were stored. The problem with the Warhammer world as seen by GW that every single building is an ossuary, be it barracks or a grocery shop.

Probably the whole Warhammer world is made of skulls. The Realm of Battles board even proves it :D Yes, it is silly and childish. Still young kids may see this as 'cool'.

popisdead
02-09-2011, 21:02
What shape do real Orc's muscles grow? :D:p;)

dodecahedrons!

The bearded one
03-09-2011, 00:52
People keep posting pictures of real life buildings with skulls. These buildings are ossuaries! These are buildings were bones were stored. The problem with the Warhammer world as seen by GW that every single building is an ossuary, be it barracks or a grocery shop.

Probably the whole Warhammer world is made of skulls. The Realm of Battles board even proves it :D Yes, it is silly and childish. Still young kids may see this as 'cool'.

And yet no matter how bad it might be, apparently it used to be even worse * points at Arkhan's silly chariot *

CrystalSphere
03-09-2011, 10:22
And yet no matter how bad it might be, apparently it used to be even worse * points at Arkhan's silly chariot *

And your point is...?

The bearded one
03-09-2011, 13:25
How can you not get what my point is? :p It used to be worse, it's better now.

At the very least it's not like this is a new direction that GW design has taken in recent years, because there used to be a boatload of skulls plastered everywhere in the past too. It's hard to pretend like "GW has started ruining it's designs with skulls everywhere!" when it's been like that the past 2-3 decades.

lparigi34
05-09-2011, 16:02
And your point is...?

* points at Arkhan's silly chariot * :angel:

Lord Dan
06-09-2011, 05:52
Silly chariot indeed:

BEHOLD!!! (http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x4/c93563-02.jpg)

I actually remember there being more skulls. Wasn't there an old TK chariot made entirely from bone? Those things were so stupid looking painted up...

Lord_Byron
06-09-2011, 07:05

...And now I feel slightly crestfallen after spending my weekend refurbishing that silly chariot. ;)

I really don't mind it looking silly, as its mere presence proves my ancient and undying allegiance to the Liche King. Hail Arkhan!

Lord Zarkov
06-09-2011, 10:09
Silly chariot indeed:

BEHOLD!!! (http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x4/c93563-02.jpg)

I actually remember there being more skulls. Wasn't there an old TK chariot made entirely from bone? Those things were so stupid looking painted up...

Indeed, as posted on the last page in fact ;)

They had chariots made of skulls (http://www.solegends.com/citcat94/cat1994057-02.htm) (or spines at least); bolt throwers made of skulls; flails made of skulls; and even, looking at the pictures in the 4th Ed army book, their buildings were made of skulls! :p (or made to look like they were made of skulls at least).

Zaustus
06-09-2011, 12:43
I actually like the spine-and-ribcage chariot. It looks like the skeleton of one of those big desert snakes. Necro-cycling!

NTJ2010
19-09-2011, 03:53
I hate to "necro" this post but...

http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/memes-skullception.jpg

Gamesworkshop is working on more terrain it seems

Mallo
19-09-2011, 16:54
What I'd like to know is, are all these skulls 'alive'??? You have all those skeletons up and about for your newly raised army, but does your spell stop there? Do all those skulls on the sphinx become reanimated as well? Does a necromancy pop in to the local empire town, and the walls start chatting away? Does Bob the grave guard get an earful from his skull adorned shield..."come on Bob, Its my turn to have a go with the body..."