PDA

View Full Version : Starting Ogres and Arming Bulls

some_scrub
17-08-2011, 06:53
First off, I'll just say that I am jumping straight on to the Ogre Bandwagon. I'm not ashamed to say that the only thing keeping me away before was the perception that they were a weak army.

With that in mind, I decided to pick up the last box of Bulls from my local GW, but I have no idea how to arm them. Obviously the book isn't out yet, but based on the rumored rule changes, what equipment package will likely be the most popular? Does it depend on the unit size?

snottlebocket
17-08-2011, 07:00
Barring great weapons which seems to be exclusive to iron guts, I'd say extra hand weapons.

Coldblood666
17-08-2011, 07:08
I just assembled 18 Bulls the otherday and I did all of them with ironfists.

Bulls come standard with light armour now so ironfists seemed appropriate. It gives them a 5+ armour save and a 6++ parry save; which is a lot more useful then +1 attack in my opinion. Besides, Ogres can only fight with 3 attacks in ranks anyways so I'd rather have the improved staying power over a few extra attacks from the front rank.

Ironfists look awesome too :D

sulla
17-08-2011, 08:13
Go with whatever looks the coolest to you.

Buff the unit with a character if the build turns out sub-optimal in the 8th edition armybook.

Vsurma
17-08-2011, 08:33
Coldblood666 has it right, if the rumours are correct the ironfist (counts as shield) is the way to go.

Your basic unit is 6+ bulls, 6 of which get to attack.

With additional HW you get 21 attacks and 6+ save.
With ironfists, you get 18 attacks and 5+/6++ save

Much better. You also have your impact hits and stomp attacks so those 3 attacks you get from additional HW really don't matter so much.

27 attacks isn't that much more than 24 on the charge and you give up a lot of staying power for those attacks.

Barry "the blade"
17-08-2011, 21:34
Rumors also indicate that ironfists won't grant the 6+ parry save.

Edit- I just went back and re read the rumor round up, and I was wrong on this:)

Malorian
17-08-2011, 21:46
Don't arm them at all.

One box of bulls isn't an army so you might as well wait until the new book comes out and you KNOW what the best option will be.

Gork or Possibly Mork
18-08-2011, 21:47
I don't take any options for them but my models have ironfist though cause it looks cooler imo.

Sounds like it's worth it with the new book though especially if them having light armour by default is true.

WarmbloodedLizard
18-08-2011, 23:14
I don't take any options for them but my models have ironfist though cause it looks cooler imo.

seconded. :D