PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts: increasing to 2400pts

Kriegschmidt
17-08-2011, 10:19
Morning chaps!

It looks like I've persuaded my regular opponent (Tomb Kings) to increase our WHFB games to 2400pts, as this will allow me to use nearly everything in my collection. So there's my 2400pts list below.

I've done this from memory, so apologies where I can't remember the name of the upgrade in question; hopefully the description will be clear enough! :D

In addition to these models I have: 1 x Vlad model, 1 x female vampire model, 1 x Necromancer model, 1 x Vampire on horseback model... and about 40 zombies :evilgrin: Please note: I won't be able to buy any new models in the foreseeable future, so please avoid the, "You want to add a unit of Black Knights, etc." comments :)

LORDS
Vampire Lord - 550
Riding Abyssal Terror
+1 Wizard Level
Master of the Black Arts, +1 Wizard Level, Avatar of Death.
Charmed Shield, 4+ Ward Save.

HEROES
Vampire - 185
Avatar of Death, Talisman of the Lycni, Summon Creatures of the Night.
Blood Drinker.

Wight King - 165
Battle Standard Bearer
Tomb Blade, Nightshroud.

CORE
20 Skeleton Warriors - 190
Full command.
Banner (the 10pt one, forgotten the name!)

20 Skeleton Warriors - 180
Full command.

30 Crypt Ghouls - 248
Crypt Ghast.

10 Dire Wolves - 80

Corpse Cart - 100
Balefire.

SPECIAL
10 Grave Guard - 160
Great weapons.
Full command.

RARE
Varghulf - 175

5 Blood Knights - 370
Standard Bearer.
Flag of Blood Keep.

I'd be grateful for any comments! :)

tmarichards
19-08-2011, 17:15
The Abyssal terror is a horrendous idea for a VC general, you want to keep him safe not have him flying around on something away from the army where he can get isolated and picked off.

Again, that second vampire is a weird idea- giving him the Lycni talisman implies you want him off running around on his own, which means you have no vampires around your army, which means no marching, which means very isolated vampires. As a general rule, vampires outside of units are not great ideas.

The BSB would probably be better with the Hasslehoff banner.

Skeletons, beyond providing a bunker, are useless- drop the second unit of them.

Split the wolves into 2 units.

10 Grave Guard will kill nothing and will die quickly and easily. Boost the unit to 30 and give them the +1 to hit banner. Then, give your Lord the weapon skill hat (and the Fencers Blades if you really want to upset people).

I'd probably go with a Coach instead of the Blood Knights, 5 models with only a 2+ save for 370pts is just waaaaaaaay too risky for me. But then again, I have an aversion to anything going over 300pts.

Jack of Blades
19-08-2011, 22:52
Your Wight King looks off, he seems to cost 20 points too much.

stashman
19-08-2011, 23:07
OK, lets see what we can do with the models that you have.

Make ONE unit of the skeletons.

Have 40 zombies instead of the graveguard.

Put you vamp lord on foot and go with ghouls. Put other vamp on horse and go with blood knights.

then see what points are left.

Jack of Blades
20-08-2011, 00:46
Zombies are worse than useless, they are detrimental. He needs/could use a solid foot block, not to convert the small one he has into Zombies :p

Kriegschmidt
23-08-2011, 18:59
The comments about adding models which I don't have are not terribly helpful :p Thanks for the other comments though!

I wonder: does no-one ever use Abyssal Terrors then? Surely the only way to field one is either to take Mannfred the Acolyte or to have your general flying around on one?

Just to contradict myself somewhat from earlier, I did suffer a moment of weak will recently and buy myself a Terrorgheist :D And I may be acquiring up to 10 Black Knights from a friend....

BigbyWolf
23-08-2011, 23:17
The comments about adding models which I don't have are not terribly helpful :p Thanks for the other comments though!

I wonder: does no-one ever use Abyssal Terrors then? Surely the only way to field one is either to take Mannfred the Acolyte or to have your general flying around on one?

Just to contradict myself somewhat from earlier, I did suffer a moment of weak will recently and buy myself a Terrorgheist :D And I may be acquiring up to 10 Black Knights from a friend....

Hey Krieg, never used one the Abyssal Terror personally, if I wanted a quick vampire lord I used to take the Hellsteed and Wristbands so the whole model had a 3+(?)ward. That was back in 7th though, when you could just point a vampire like that at most units and rout them on the charge or have him turn up and raise models where needed (and back when I thought a VC army actually needed a magic user...).

If you can get the black knights in, then definitely have a unit of them to add some punch. Without actually looking at points cost, I'd say drop the graveguard, combine the Skeletons, add the Black Knights, and remove the Terror.

I'm not a fan of the hero Vampire though, his summoning power only works on one unit in the army, and he's running around with very little protection. I'd say mount him, put him with the Black Knights with a nifty magic weapon to add further punch, or with the Blood Knights with the Blooddrinker for extra healing goodness.

In my eyes this gives you a big horde of skellies that will take a fair amount of punishment, backed up by a 30 strong unit of ghouls and watched over by the main Vampire and his Wight bodyguard, and a nice combined cavalry force that, working together, could work well on a flank. Split the wolves into 2 and use them to irritate where needed, and have the Varghulf (or Terrorgheist, depending in you can take it without rider...I haven't read the WD yet...) as a contingency plan.

Of course, you still won't win anything...because you'll be using filthy, filthy magic! :p