PDA

View Full Version : Exalted hero in Chariot (WoC)

umlaut31
17-08-2011, 17:30
Hi there!
I was just wondering if having an exalted hero in a chariot is a viable option for a Warriors of Chaos army list? I'm really looking to convert the model and I've already made a start, and I just wanted to see if the build is worth putting in my list, aside from wanting him there for awesomeness and fluff value!

I was thinking something along the lines of:

Exalted hero of khorne
- Chariot
- Bronze armour of Zhrakk
- Luckstone
- Flail
- Shield

I don't know if this is any good, as I haven't had chance to play test him or whatever, but at little over 250 points, I figure you can't go wrong with 5 strength 7 attacks, plus the crew, steeds and impact hits.

Jack of Blades
17-08-2011, 17:42
I don't see how it couldn't be.

Give him the Blasphemous Amulet if you want to make fun of stuff like Swordmasters. The Charmed Shield can help with keeping him alive against cannon balls and the like (unless they shoot him with something else first). I'd give him a halberd instead of a flail, you won't really need S7 above S6 and if the combat lasts for more than one round you're back at S5 - S7 is hardly an advantage to S6 for troop-slaughterers to begin with but being S5 is a clear degree worse than being S6.

Say something like:

Exalted Hero - 279 Points
Halberd
Charmed Shield
Blasphemous Amulet
Stream of Corruption
Mark of Khorne
Chariot

If this guy had a ''hire me'' sign, it would read like this: Mook-slaughterer supreme. Expensive Elves prefered but no target restrictions apply. Payment accepted in all currencies of skull. One cannon ball insurance included. Best employed with brutal abandon.

Eta
17-08-2011, 18:02
If this guy had a ''hire me'' sign, it would read like this: Mook-slaughterer supreme. Expensive Elves prefered but no target restrictions apply. Payment accepted in all currencies of skull. One cannon ball insurance included. Best employed with brutal abandon.

Why not add the Helm of Many Eyes to this build, instead of the Blasphemous Amulet. ASF can never be wrong when you are sitting on a chariot. And the Elves won't like it, too. Helm of Many Eyes + Blasphemous Amulet and a halberd would be a total Elf killer kombo I guess, but then your defence is very lacking.

Jack of Blades
17-08-2011, 18:07
Yeah you can put that on him too. Who cares about defense with a guy like that? it's just part of the risk - a well worthwhile risk at that. Sure you can give him a ward save but then you take away from the obscene killiness of putting the Blasphemous Amulet on him. Then there's the thing that giving him a 4+ ward save still means half of the cannon balls that hit will go through and due to his killing power, he won't really need that ward save in combat unless you're using him against the wrong enemies. Someone with a 50 point allowance just can't have it all :)

A halberd, mark of Khorne, Stream of Corruption, Blasphemous Amulet and Helm of Many Eyes on the charge:

5-6 S6 hits, 1 S4 hit, 5-6 S5 hits, 7 S3 AP hits and ~4 T-test-or-die-no-AS hits. That's 22-24 average hits in total on the charge. By comparison, 20 halberd-wielding Chaos warriors of Khorne which cost 350 points inflict an average of 26-27 hits at full strength.

Barry "the blade"
17-08-2011, 21:29
To bad you'll have to issue a challenge... All of the Exalteds attacks, and breath weapon will (over)kill one single elf right?

Superafro
17-08-2011, 23:22
Easily solved through a multiple charge with warriors or knights so they can issue the challenges.

umlaut31
18-08-2011, 08:23

Haha that was where I was heading with it anyways!

Thanks for all the advice and help guys, I've changed him to have the Blasphemous Amulet, Helm of Many Eyes, Stream of Corruption and both a Halberd and shield (I know it's a 2 handed weapon but a 2+ save is pretty good for working his way into combat surely?)

As I'm a fairly new WoC player, I didn't get the bit about challenges though? Why would I have to issue one? It's probably something really obvious that I'm missing!

TheOneHawk
18-08-2011, 08:36
Page 43 of WoC book. Under Eye of the Gods. 'Chaos models that may issue challenges must do so whenever they are able. Furthermore, such is their thirst for glory that Chaos characters may not refuse challenges.'

Dux
18-08-2011, 08:45
Exalted Hero - 279 Points
Halberd
Charmed Shield
Blasphemous Amulet
Stream of Corruption
Mark of Khorne
Chariot

Wouldn't you be required to buy MoK for the Chariot too?
The character has to have the same mark as the chariot. And MoK is not the same as unmarked.

umlaut31
18-08-2011, 08:46
Ah right, thank you, I did miss that haha!
So if my hero was in a chariot, and he had to issue a challenge, obviously his attacks would be allocated against the hero/leader of the opposing unit, but what of the chariot, steed and crew? would they be against the unit, or part of the challenge itself?

And I'm not sure, I think you can have a un-marked chariot with any mark inside it, you just can't have a different mark for chariot and rider. On the Exalted Hero page it says 'must have appropriate mark' for mounts such as the disc of tzeentch and the juggernaught, but not on the chariot, so I'm not sure!

Jack of Blades
18-08-2011, 12:38
Wouldn't you be required to buy MoK for the Chariot too?
The character has to have the same mark as the chariot. And MoK is not the same as unmarked.

No, it means that you cannot have two different marks - if you buy two marks they must be the same. It doesn't mean you can't only buy one mark. This is because on page 124 it says you may not have a different mark which assumes that they both have marks. Otherwise it's like saying ''hey Jerry, my strawberry is different from yours!'' when poor Jerry doesn't have a strawberry.

PeG
18-08-2011, 13:02
I agree that he is good but he is also a lot of points that cant be spent on additional heroes. WoC are generally very good for their point costs and I always find it hard to find points for a chariot when I can take another hero.

I guess it would make sense in a pure Khorne list.

SunTzu
18-08-2011, 15:42
To bad you'll have to issue a challenge... All of the Exalteds attacks, and breath weapon will (over)kill one single elf right?

It was pointed out to me today (in an unrelated discussion) that Word of Agony takes place at the start of combat, before challenges are issued. You could take Word of Agony, use it to kill the unit champion, then issue a challenge (as you must), oh dear no-one to accept it what a shame, then all the rest of your attacks can be directed at the unit.

Only drawback is I don't recall how many points Exalted Heroes can spend on Gifts... you'd have to drop Stream of Corruption and even then this might be possible only for a Chaos Lord, and that starts being a very expensive investment for one chariot model... but the destructive potential is still rather impressive.

Peregijn
18-08-2011, 16:25
its to bad you cant give word of agony to an exalted. its 40 points and an exalted can only have 25 points into gifts of chaos.

SunTzu
18-08-2011, 16:45
its to bad you cant give word of agony to an exalted. its 40 points and an exalted can only have 25 points into gifts of chaos.

Ah, I did wonder. Upgrading this same concept to a Lord would cost lots of points...

SunTzu
18-08-2011, 18:39
Someone mentioned cannonballs and the Charmed Shield above. I just read in the BRB that cannonballs hitting characters on chariots always hit both the chariot and the character. Charmed Shield might keep the character alive, but there's a good chance he'd be left to walk into battle! Doesn't seem worth bothering with... take a Ward if you can find the points or just hope you don't face too many cannonballs.

popisdead
18-08-2011, 20:49
I don't think they are that great an option. I am unaware of a way to make them do a high amount of wounds to make it viable. Especially as WoC characters must challenge, you are going to lack the backing CR.