PDA

View Full Version : Are shields on GW troops ever worth it?

eron12
17-08-2011, 17:44
Just an idle question, are there ever circumstnaces where you would add shields to the equipent list of troops with GWs?

drear
17-08-2011, 17:53
it can help against shooting .

elves for example, theres no reason i wouldnt take a sheild on a GW weilding eagle prince . 4+ save from his dragon armour and mounted, then 3+ as theres a sheild.

it means theres less chance he will snuff it to small arms fire and the like.

Vampiric16
17-08-2011, 17:55
I run a longbeard squad with GWs, and take shields for the long range protection. 4+ rather than 5+ can make all the difference. Of course if I'm fighting an army with no ranged weapons to speak of, then I spend the points elsewhere.

Malorian
17-08-2011, 18:33
I run a longbeard squad with GWs, and take shields for the long range protection. 4+ rather than 5+ can make all the difference. Of course if I'm fighting an army with no ranged weapons to speak of, then I spend the points elsewhere.

You're better off getting the master rune of grungi.

The only time I would be tempted would be on single models (which is pretty much suicide anyway) or on something expensive like chaos warriors.

But in the vast VAST majority I would just save the points.

The few models it cuold have saved would be made up by just starting off with more models in the first place.

Bodysnatcher
17-08-2011, 18:38
Chaos warriors really benefit from the shooting protection.

popisdead
17-08-2011, 23:17
I'm not sure because I don't know what units that have GWs can take sheilds.

It starts to make more an effect when the unit already has a 5+ or better save already, and you aren't paying a lot. If it only cost 20 points, maybe? If it costs 80-100 (like Marauders) don't bother.

Von Wibble
18-08-2011, 20:06
Exactly this. Chaos warriors and black orcs, yes. Characters mounted on monsters, yes. Pretty much anything else, no.

Oberon
18-08-2011, 20:22
For a 18 model chaos warrior unit I could either take shields for all of them, or a single warrior more without a shield. I'm taking the shields thank you.

I wouldn't however take shields OR light armour for marauders with GW, the difference between 5 and 7 point models is too great and the cost of a single model isn't.

Malorian
18-08-2011, 21:21
Exactly this. Chaos warriors and black orcs, yes. Characters mounted on monsters, yes. Pretty much anything else, no.

Not even on black orcs.

They typically don't see arrow fire so much at war machine fire, and the shield is doing little for them then.

Toe Cutter
19-08-2011, 15:03
Gives you something to carry them home on I suppose (thats if the cannon hasn't fused them into the shield of course).

ashc
19-08-2011, 16:08
Chaos Warriors with halberds, same case.