PDA

View Full Version : Skaven slaves and firing into

Goldenwolf
17-08-2011, 18:43
Gents,

I have heard this more than one way, so let me ask this:

If I can not direct fire at the Skaven Slaves, if I fire at a non-skaven unit with a warpfire thrower, and do not hit the slaves, do they still split the casualties 50/50 with the enemy?

If I drop a Poison Mortar shot on the enemy only, is that a 50/50 as well?

I know that Close Combat is a swirling maelstrom but have had Skaven players do it both ways in my local area.

Thank You in advance for any polite replies.

Yrrdead
17-08-2011, 18:53
Here is the crux of the issue.

Expendable: All Skaven, except other Skavenslaves, automatically pass Panic tests caused by Skavenslaves. Also, Skaven can voluntarily target ranged attacks at enemy units engaged in close combat with Skavenslaves(but no other friendly troops). As combatants are constantly in motion, all successful hits must be randomized between the fighting units ( 1-3 friend, 4-6 foe). if there are multiple units, further randomize to determine exactly which one is struck.

After errata and amendments it says

Expendable: All Skaven, except other Skavenslaves, automatically pass Panic tests caused by friendly Skavenslaves. Also, Skaven can voluntarily target ranged attacks at enemy units engaged in close combat with Skavenslaves(but no other friendly troops).

A lot of people don't stay up on FAQ's so that is probably the reason for the discrepancy.

Lord_Skrolk
17-08-2011, 21:45
I believe that it only applies to ranged attacks where you have roll to hit. Template attacks hit the units under/touched by the template and only units under/touched by the template. A bit of a shame for anyone who has ever thought of the proudly skaveny tactic of tourching a herd of slaves with warp fire in the hope that some of the hits transfer to the enemy!

Razaan
17-08-2011, 22:01
Yeah, it's strictly under the template now. There is no randomization of hits from either template or BS shooting. That part was removed completely.

druchii
22-08-2011, 04:58
Yeah, it's strictly under the template now. There is no randomization of hits from either template or BS shooting. That part was removed completely.

Which is dirty because you can easily lock an expensive unit up with a cheap unit of slaves, and then go to town on the opposing unit with template weapons, while not hurting your slaves at all...

d

Flash Felix
22-08-2011, 07:50
Don't forget spells, they can cast Dreaded 13th, Warplightning, Scorch....., it's all ranged damage.

However, if there is an engineer or other character in the unit, as happens from time to time (for the leadership boost) they can't shoot, as this model lacks the "Life Is Cheap" special rule. Don't kill him if there's a Warpfire Thrower nearby.....