PDA

View Full Version : 2K Bretonnians First attempt

Loopstah
18-08-2011, 15:01
Just starting up Bretonnians and I'm looking to put together a 2K list so I know what to build and paint first. How does this list look?

EDIT: Updated to make more fighty

LORDS 259pts

Lord
Barded Warhorse
Grail Vow
Virtue of Heroism
Heartwood Lance
Armour of Agilulf

HEROES 279pts

Paladin
BSB
Barded Warhorse
Gromril Greathelm
Virtue of Noble Disdain

Damsel
Lvl 2
Prayer Icon of Quenelles
Dispel Scroll

CORE 1020pts

12 Knights Errant
Standard, Musician
Errantry Banner

12 Knights of the Realm
Standard, Musician
Banner of Eternal Flame

39 Men at Arms
Polearms
Full Command

10 Peasant Bowmen
Braziers

10 Peasant Bowmen
Braziers

10 Peasant Bowmen
Braziers

RARE 348pts

6 Grail Knights
Standard, Musician

Trebuchet

Trebuchet

Total: 1996

Damsel on foot goes in the Men at Arms giving them the Blessing.
Paladin rides with the Knights Errant.
Damsel takes Lore of Life.
Peasant bowmen are split into 3 groups to waste some deployment drops.

Novrain
18-08-2011, 15:05
I would drop one knight from each of the busses, and put the Prophetess in with the Realms and the BSB with the errants. With the BSB in the errants, they can now reroll thier Impetuous test on his leadership.

The extra points I would use to bump up the M@A, they could probably use it.

Loopstah
18-08-2011, 15:07
I would drop one knight from each of the busses, and put the Prophetess in with the Realms and the BSB with the errants. With the BSB in the errants, they can now reroll thier Impetuous test on his leadership.

The extra points I would use to bump up the M@A, they could probably use it.

Good idea, I'll do that and add another 9 Men at Arms.

Voss
18-08-2011, 15:16
Its really rather light in fighting capacity. The big units have the ranks, but there is essentially no flanking support and the paladin is merely mediocre in combat. Just 3 combat units is a major risk, especially when you can end up facing armies who can field twice that as well as war machines to whittle you down.

bert n ernie
18-08-2011, 15:48
Personally I'd drop the Mounted Yeomen. I don't think they're particularly good, but especially in your list you need some more fighting power.

You also have no way of outflanking an enemy unit. Even if you tie up an enemy unit it looks like it would take you some time to get in their flank. You could try a Pegasus Knight unit, or one smaller knight unit(not errants, but anything else should be ok).

Your fighting power is pretty low too, and I don't know how much you'll manage in prolonged combats, even if the M@A are there. You may need a unit or character which is specifically there to be fighty. I have a Lord and a Grail unit in my army, but people vary.

Loopstah
18-08-2011, 15:59
I have a full unit of Grail Knights but with 2 Trebs I could only field 7 Grail Knights including a Standard and Musician which doesn't seem enough to be useful especially as I would have to cut down something else to fit them in.

I could take a Lord but then I'd have to drop the Prophetess and I'm not sure if that would be a good swap.

The Yeoman are in as I only have 2 Pegasus Knights unfortunately, which isn't enough to make a unit.

I should be able to manage without flanking units as I should be breaking steadfast from the front with 5 ranks.

The problem is I could take more units at a smaller size but then they probably wouldn't work very well. I'd be able to make a much better list at 2500 but 2K is a bit tight on the points.

At the minute I have available:

1 Lord w/GW
1 Lord w/Lance
1 BSB
2 Mounted Damsels
1 Foot Damsel
40 Men at Arms
32 Knights of the Realm
16 Knights Errant
15 Grail Knights
65 Bowmen
2 Trebuchets
10 Mounted Yeoman
2 Pegasus Knights

Morax
18-08-2011, 16:08
A unit of 3 grail knights are useful as they are easy to maneuver, hit hard enough to worry things on a flank, cheap enough to be used for war machine hunting/monster hunting, and cheap enough to be thrown away if need be.

Just a thought on other uses for the grail knights.

Loopstah
18-08-2011, 16:15
I could drop the Yeoman then and run 3 Grail Knights, if I cut a couple of Errants as well.

Wesser
18-08-2011, 16:19
I'd put the bowmen into 1 big unit.

40 Bowmen deployd behind stakes and in horde formation is actually a pretty formidable combat formation. Okay you'll prolly lose some shots but they are great for covering a flank, it'll save frontage, and as a whole unit shooting at something theyve got betetr chance at hurting stuff.

For these reasons its also good to put the damsel/prophetess here. I at least have suffered too many miscasts to ever want a wizard inside heavy cavalry again...EVER! Brets are probably the weakest magic users in the game aside from dwarves, so I'd prolly skip the prophetess and go for some pegknight or support lance instead

Novrain
18-08-2011, 16:50
I run 6GK with FC pretty much all the time and they serves me quite well. They can definately threaten enemy heavy cav, even in bigger blocks, and are always enough to win a flank charged combat.

3GK I would be more worried about, s they become easy points for you opponent's shooting. One round of xbows or handguns would make a mess of them.

Loopstah
18-08-2011, 17:13
I could swap the prophetess for a fighty lord:

Lord
Barded Warhorse
Grail Vow
Virtue of Heroism
Armour of Agilulf
Heartwood Lance

I could drop the Yeoman, a Trebuchet and one group of bowmen to give me 6 Grail Knights with Standard and Musician.

List updated.

bert n ernie
18-08-2011, 18:58
Umm, do you really need to drop the prophetess for a fighty Lord? He doesn't need to use up his full points to be effective, and she can have a scroll instead of the mirror.

Also I too use 6/7 Grail knights in my GK unit. At higher points levels I have a level one with the basic beasts spell in there too so that they can benefit from lots of high S attacks while being very tough.

However I wouldn't really drop a Treb if you are aiming for a competitive list. They are too good.

Loopstah
18-08-2011, 19:05
That's the problem, I can't fit everything into 2K.

Everybody seems to have different suggestions as to what's the best. :confused:

Bloosquig
18-08-2011, 19:25
Also remember you can't give the BSB any gear other than a mount and the magic items. Unless they faq'd it somewhere funny.

So no shield/lance etc.

Good luck!

Loopstah
18-08-2011, 19:29
Also remember you can't give the BSB any gear other than a mount and the magic items. Unless they faq'd it somewhere funny.

So no shield/lance etc.

Good luck!

Good point I forgot how old the book was.

OK dropping the number of knights to fit the 2nd Treb back in.

bert n ernie
18-08-2011, 21:46
Yes, you're right. I think I am too used to 2400 games, even though I'm not keen on them myself.

I kept wondering why you didn't have certain things in the list, even though it was only 2000pts.

I think that dropping the Yeomen really helped the list, and while you could drop the Lord and Level2 for a Paladin and Level4 I don't think it will make much of a different at first for painting or playing (as personally I'd be using the same models anyway).
Having three Knight units really helps, and the rest of the units are all personal choice until you've learned more.