PDA

View Full Version : Charge Bonus in 8th...did I miss this?

Ealdwulf
18-08-2011, 19:44
I remember back when I played in 5th and 6th ed a successful charge rendered some benefits to the attacking unit, I'm at work, discussing with a co-worker, neither of us has the new 8th book with us and I don't recall seeing it in the charging section.

Does a successful charge give +1 combat res and +1 strength on hit? And like I said I don't remember seeing this outlined in the rules for charging, if it's not in that section where is it?

I'm probably just over looking it, anyways, thanks!

AngelofSorrow
18-08-2011, 19:46
It's just +1 combat res

Loopstah
18-08-2011, 19:47
Some weapons have a Str bonus on the charge, otherwise it's just +1 res.

Mr_Rose
18-08-2011, 23:41
And like I said I don't remember seeing this outlined in the rules for charging, if it's not in that section where is it?

It's just +1 combat resWhich is described in the section on combat resolution.

Some weapons have a Str bonus on the charge, otherwise it's just +1 res.Weapon bonuses are described in the weapons section and/or the relevant army book for unique weapons.

Von Wibble
20-08-2011, 12:16
I remember back when I played in 5th and 6th ed a successful charge rendered some benefits to the attacking unit, I'm at work, discussing with a co-worker, neither of us has the new 8th book with us and I don't recall seeing it in the charging section.

Does a successful charge give +1 combat res and +1 strength on hit? And like I said I don't remember seeing this outlined in the rules for charging, if it's not in that section where is it?

I'm probably just over looking it, anyways, thanks!

In 4th edition charging gave +1 to hit iirc and in all editions up to 7th it allowed you to strike first.

In 8th edition its a +1 to combat resolution (+2 if you charged downhill) and that's about it.

Mercules
22-08-2011, 14:43
...and triggers special rules like (Mounted) Spears, Lances, Impact Hits and the ilk.

Harwammer
22-08-2011, 17:26
It puts a friendly unit into combat against an opposing unit that you want to be fought. It's a very powerful tool for destroying or tarpitting enemy units!

NTJ2010
23-08-2011, 02:37
It puts a friendly unit into combat against an opposing unit that you want to be fought. It's a very powerful tool for destroying or tarpitting enemy units!

This is true as well.

I look at it as a theoretical +2 because you get +1 and deny them the +1 (if it is front to front where they can charge you back).

As others have mentioned lances, spears, impact hits, devastating charge (for what VERY few units currently have this) and some other abilities are triggered as well.

enyoss
25-08-2011, 09:43
In 4th edition charging gave +1 to hit iirc and in all editions up to 7th it allowed you to strike first.

Not really on topic, but +1 to-hit on the charge was in 3rd edition. The mechanic was the same in editions 4-7 (i.e. chargers strike first, no to-hit or combat resolution bonuses).