PDA

View Full Version : Storm Troopers for the UK GT

stormtrooper154
09-04-2006, 16:28
As you can see from my name and avatar I kind of like Storm troopers. I was thinking of doing a drop troop army but I would have struggled to make the command squad wysiwyg due to my limited sculpting skills. Whilst I was deciding whether to stick or twist, Darkseer pointed me in the direction of Witch Hunters. After going through the codex, I know that I can come up with a themed list (using only storm troopers) and one that should be ok in the tournament environment.

So this thread is going to follow my progress leading up to the first heat of the UK GT.

Now that I know what my army was going to consist of, the next decision was colourschemes. The normal red and black of the Inquisition? or something else. I then remembered Killzone on the PS2, in particular the Helghast. (My avatar is an example of what they look like)

The army itself is going to be urban based, from a winter world. Ive already ordered some urban bases, but after making my test model this afternoon, i might just make my own.

Here is a picture of the test model in all his un-undercoated glory.

HiredSword.
09-04-2006, 16:39
good luck with that mate, i'm liking the base and a whole stormtrooper army is something i've never seen funnily enough even though everyone has a weak spot for this kind of army.

stormtrooper154
09-04-2006, 18:07
Well, the test model is done. Done to a minimum standard as far as this project goes. First off, things im happy with - the base. I am going to make my own, rather than buy them. The snow looks good. The overall look of the model is nice - but perhaps too much black. Not really sure how to ammend that, perhaps change the clothing to a dark green or brown.
Things im not happy with - the undercoat spray went a bit 'wierd' therefore the paint wasnt so smooth. As it was a test model, it wasnt painted to a high standard and it only took 20 minutes to do.
What do you think? I am willing to losten to suggestions.

muggs
09-04-2006, 18:35
The base looks great,
I've had that undercoat thing happen too, I think it happens if you leave your models outside when it is too cold, don't quote me on that though!

If you're going for an urban look have you thought about grey clothes? Depending on what shade you use, you could lighten them up without losing the urban feel

DaR
09-04-2006, 18:56
Definitely a little dark, but overall I like it.

To lighten it up and give it some contrast, I'd go with a nice dark Inquisition red for some of the equipment. The guns or backpacks perhaps. You could also do a very dark red for the fatigues, something that's almost brown (scab red as the highlights sort of deal).

Alternately, just a few spots of white would also work, maybe. The white =I= symbol on the shoulder pads or helmet.

-DaR

Brush your teeth
09-04-2006, 19:02
id try a lighter grey colour on the fatigues, im currently doing a similar thing but for a whole storm trooper army (storm trooper models for comand HQ)
i found the black doesnt give enough colour so i made them black and white puzzle camo (like the urdesh in the guns if tanith book).

i can get a pic of a finished model up if you want.

2 more things, great avatar and also paint the googles brighter orange

chuckyhol
09-04-2006, 19:24
Hey there.

I dislike the model intensely sorry. The start out was strong, I love the pose and I love the base. It look too much like a basecoat though i'm sorry. It definetly needs some contrast.

Chuck

stormtrooper154
09-04-2006, 19:45
Thanks for the replies. I was beginning to have second thoughts about this product.

[/QUOTE]I've had that undercoat thing happen too, I think it happens if you leave your models outside when it is too cold, don't quote me on that though![/QUOTE]

I think thats why it did it, as I have experianced it before. Good job its getting warmer....

i can get a pic of a finished model up if you want.

Yes please :D I would like to compare against similar themed armies.

I dislike the model intensely sorry. The start out was strong, I love the pose and I love the base. It look too much like a basecoat though i'm sorry. It definetly needs some contrast.

Thanks for your response Chuck. I do agree that it needs contrast as I said earlier. But what do expect of an SAS army of the future?

Work will begin on the other troopers from the box this week. By then I will decide whether to follow through with this army or try something else.

KayvaanShrike
09-04-2006, 19:49
yeah, I like the concept and the base is great, but at this stage it kinda looks like its still just undercoated with a few details painted on, now if thats the look your going for, then great, but if not then, think def the fatigues need changed.

Great Harlequin
09-04-2006, 21:22
Hey Stormy,

First of all, I love the Stormtrooper theme, and the pose of that Stormtrooper is just super! But, I have to admit, the figure, at first glance, does look a little bland. Some subtle grey highlighting would not go amiss here at all, as I know you want to keep them dark (bearing in mind - Killzone).

On the matter of dodgy spray cans - where do you store them? Because keeping them in the cold makes them go all 'odd', the same applies to varnish. If they're in the garage or something, move them to a warmer place, it seems to have worked from me. (Had a couple of problems with Chaos Black undercoat a few weeks back)

Btw, I might even be attending GT Heat 1, so I can meet you there. (I know there's a few other people from WarSeer attending) I seemed to miss you at Carnage, I saw your army plenty of times, but you were never present (!), and in the speed of the weekend I never got a chance to introduce myself. Sorry for that.

Anyway, good luck with the project!

All the very bestest,

squigsnok
10-04-2006, 00:26
Great green gribblies, people are starting their armies already?! Well theres a wake up call. You mean you all dont paint them in the week before until 5am while drinking too much Red Bull? Hmmmm.... There's a lesson there.

My suggestion would be a light colour for the fatigues (like Kommando Khaki) and keep the black for the armour, possibly with scuffs and scorch marks in it so the metal shows through on some parts (stormtroopers are gonna be in all the worst parts of a warzone). The contrast looks good, but retains the dark special ops kinda look you want.

Thats all i can think of at the mo. That, and how i should probly kick off my army soon. Hope to see you at Heat 1!

stormtrooper154
10-04-2006, 06:26
Cheers for the feedback people.

But, I have to admit, the figure, at first glance, does look a little bland. Some subtle grey highlighting would not go amiss here at all, as I know you want to keep them dark (bearing in mind - Killzone).

As I said earlier, it was painted to just see the basic colours, so no dtails such as scratched armour, main highlights etc.

On the matter of dodgy spray cans - where do you store them? Because keeping them in the cold makes them go all 'odd', the same applies to varnish. If they're in the garage or something, move them to a warmer place, it seems to have worked from me. (Had a couple of problems with Chaos Black undercoat a few weeks back)

I spray them in my 'porch' (its more of a storage area on the side of the house). It was cold yesterday so I wasnt too suprised that it went bobbly.

My suggestion would be a light colour for the fatigues (like Kommando Khaki) and keep the black for the armour, possibly with scuffs and scorch marks in it so the metal shows through on some parts (stormtroopers are gonna be in all the worst parts of a warzone). The contrast looks good, but retains the dark special ops kinda look you want.

I think I will try a brighter colour - possibly kk.
Keep watching..........

HiveFleetEzekial
10-04-2006, 07:03
good.. another fighter to join the Helgan ranks! :D

lookin good sofar.

btw, i've ammased quite a few pics, if you're intrested in recieving, for more ideas and colour schemes. pm me and we can try to arrange some means of transfer. (dunno if it's possible through pm, so we'll find out :) )

i've got an army in the works myself (really not off the ground yet, no $$ :( ), and plan on using troopers from 1st and 3rd games :) (2nd game looks to have the normal ones from first). and will be doing massive ammounts of converting in greenstuff. though there's a new thread in the non-GW games section that may prove to make the basic troopers a little bit easier, so long as they'll be aqquireable in bits. or the heads can be chopped off easily, to make way for FW cadian heads w/rebreathers.

Brush your teeth
10-04-2006, 09:18
well heres the picture i promissed, apart from its not finished as i still need to decide a basing sceme. i now only have 34 more of these 10 converted rough riders with jetpacks and 2 sentinels to paint & buy until my 750pts is done:(

HiredSword.
10-04-2006, 14:38
i do like them but i think the camouflage works too well imo.

I like what squigsnok said about using a lighter colour for fatigues and black for armour, so why not try a light blue/grey?

cpl_hicks
10-04-2006, 16:08
good.. another fighter to join the Helgan ranks! :D

the ISA will always be victorious :D

loving the stormtrooper

the hellgun seems to blend in with the trooper, maybe painting it a lighter colour

my old school stormtroopers have silver armour/guns with dark fatigues, they look opkay, havent got any pics cause i need to get a new camera

stormtrooper154
10-04-2006, 18:11
After thinking about this project all day, Ive decided to stop it :( (for now anyway), and do something else.
I want to take an army to the GT that will have more converting possibilities and dynamic poses than the metal storm troopers can provide. Luckily I only bought one box of them so its not been a financial meltdown.

The next project?

Well Ive looked through the result pages on GW at previous tournaments at what armies are common, and the ones that do well and that I know how to use. So I have decided to have another bash at the emperors finest - Space marines.

I had been discussing with Lav on msn as to what I might do for the next Carnage but I dont think I can wait til september to start them. (and no Lav, Im not doing the Custodes:eek: )

So fear not, there will be another thread on my latest project soon. Once the plasticard arrives and when I get some more greenstuff.

HiredSword.
10-04-2006, 19:08
noooooo :eek:

not another space marine player! stay with the stormtroopers, if you want to have dynamic poses why not try cadian sprues with green stuff carapace armour?

muggs
10-04-2006, 22:18
you could have a look at the armoured co done by George Dellapina, it has some amazing storm trooper conversions, its in (UK) WD 313. he used the basic cadians and GSed the extra armour. Well worth a look if your making a storm trooper armour and you have good GS skills!

spongebob103
11-04-2006, 03:08
Oh man not another one...:p
I guess it is your choice.
Come on I also have a soft spot for the stormies (partially because of kill-zone ) I guess i will do a stormie army when im done my marines... I guess it is ironic.

stormtrooper154
11-04-2006, 06:40
I made my decision because I know how to use marines and they a balanced army. I dont think i would do too well with WH and dont want to go to the GT and get battered. My last marine army was competitive and with some of the stuff that is now available, I want a second bite at the cherry.

Plus there was some really nice space marine armies at carnage and some on these boards. In the 6 months leading to the GT I hope to have a really nice space marine army. Not one made up from standard metal models.

spongebob103
11-04-2006, 07:33
Ok then.. Do you have any pics of your previous marine army?

stormtrooper154
11-04-2006, 18:09
Just click the link 'Emerald Ghosts' in my sig :D

spongebob103
12-04-2006, 00:28
Hey thats one nice marine army. I really like the ven. dread!

Inquisitor Konig
12-04-2006, 02:12
space marines!? that makes me cry. anything else would be far more exciting. if you do decide to go ahead and make it, try making a space marine army that is totaly different than anyone elses! personaly i have a really hard time finishing armies once ive started them. once my current IG army is finished im gonna go back and redo my Death Guard so they can acturaly win a game. once those are done, i will resume my drop pod marine army (which can be made really good with the chapter traits (true grit and counter strike are excelent when you deep strike on top of someone)) just food for thought, i saw your other marine army and it looks great, why make another one? chaos is in power armor too...

stormtrooper154
12-04-2006, 06:26
Cheers for those comments guys. I want to make another one because my painting skills have improved since I completed them. Plus they only took 2 months to do. This next army will be over 5 or 6 months.

Inquisitor Konig
12-04-2006, 09:02
exciting! any new ideas for it?
p.s. i wish i could put an army together in 5 or 6 months, let alone two!!!

scrubout
12-04-2006, 14:42
I feel pretty ashamed of myself, I started a project log thread of my own (for, surprise, a storm trooper army) and it has since gotten no love for 2-3 months. Thankfully, I found the interest and energy to begin painting again however and once I get some pictures of my own storm troopers I can post them for you, but they are not black armoured, they have a more similar appearance to the guardsmen found on the front of the old city fight codex.

Good luck with your army and please keep posting pictures of it, I love seeing other guard armies (especially storm troopers!!!).

-peace out
scrubout:skull:

stormtrooper154
12-04-2006, 18:03
exciting! any new ideas for it?
p.s. i wish i could put an army together in 5 or 6 months, let alone two!!!

Ive got a couple. It will still be based in a wintery urban environment. Not sure on the colourscheme at the moment. As its for a GT, its not going to be nice. Thinking 3 vindicators, 3 tornados and some other stuff.