PDA

View Full Version : what kind of HE army would you put together with these?

kissmykiester
20-08-2011, 02:18
Hello all,

My previous thread 'what magic item would you equip your HE archmage' garnered me a lot of solid advice and I was overwhelm by the shared response. Thanks again, fellas! In that particular thread I stated that a buddy of mine passed his miniatures to me, they are:

3 x Mages
48 x Spearmen
32 x Lothern Sea Guard
8 x Archers
20 x Phoenix Guard
20 x White Lions
4 x Tiranoc chariot
1 x lion Chariot
8 x Silver Helms
26 x Swordmasters
5 x Shadow Warriors
5 x Ellyrian reaver
2 x Repeater Bolt Thrower
2 x Great Eagle

Base off comments from said previous thread I figured I would construct a 2500 point HE army starting with the following;

Archmage (Life) Folariath's Robe, Talisman of Saphery, Silver Wand
LvL 2 Mage (Shadow) Seer Staff
Noble BSB (will have to purchase this)

Now, I don't own the Warhammer rules book yet and I'm just on my way to pick it and the HE armybook up right this very minute which is why there's no point cost listed. Bascially all I know I actually gleam from this forum. I was thinking of filling up the 2500 with some combination of these units;

48 Spearman
20 x Sea Guard
8x High Helms
20 x Phoenix Guards
20 x Sword Masters
4 x Tiranoc Chairots
2 x Bolt throwers
2 x Giant Eagles

Strategy: Use the Spearman as the anvil. The Seaguards as archers behind said block of spearman, the Phoenic Guards or Sword Master as the hammer
The Chariots to flank, the high helms as skirmishes, Eagles to pull away units, and bolt throwers against warmachines that are bound to appear.
That said how would you fill out the rest of the 2500 pts army?

Pyriel
20-08-2011, 09:34
this seems nice.
however: if playing 2500, after the archmage's 360 max pts, you will have room left for a well-equipped Prince on horseback. he can join the Silver Helms(get them shields) and make them a truly powerful unit (OK, silver helms will just add 2+ wounds and some few str 5 lance shots, the prince with the 4 str 6 gw attacks with rerolls and huge WS is what will do the killing :P)

i am saying this because if you purchase the noble BSB, the box comes with a mounted prince too, why not use him since the "helms as prince delivery system" works?...

use swordmasters interchangeably with white lions, both are good units for their role.

do not forget to put Banner of Sorcery on the Phoenix Guard. having a powerful mage setup with +d3 casting dice hurts a lot of players.

because your shadow mage is not the main caster, its a good idea to give him Annulian Crystal instead of seerstaff, very powerful dispeling item. seerstaff is excellent for shadow. but annulian crystal is SO damn good to pass up... (maybe a third mage with annulian and high magic?... since you seem to have access to the model, try it out a few times. just to see)

prince and small uprades-aside(which could be said to be subjective), i think that is very solid.

21-08-2011, 01:30
Hello all,

My previous thread 'what magic item would you equip your HE archmage' garnered me a lot of solid advice and I was overwhelm by the shared response. Thanks again, fellas! In that particular thread I stated that a buddy of mine passed his miniatures to me, they are:

3 x Mages
48 x Spearmen
32 x Lothern Sea Guard
8 x Archers
20 x Phoenix Guard
20 x White Lions
4 x Tiranoc chariot
1 x lion Chariot
8 x Silver Helms
26 x Swordmasters
5 x Shadow Warriors
5 x Ellyrian reaver
2 x Repeater Bolt Thrower
2 x Great Eagle

Base off comments from said previous thread I figured I would construct a 2500 point HE army starting with the following;

Archmage (Life) Folariath's Robe, Talisman of Saphery, Silver Wand
LvL 2 Mage (Shadow) Seer Staff
Noble BSB (will have to purchase this)

Now, I don't own the Warhammer rules book yet and I'm just on my way to pick it and the HE armybook up right this very minute which is why there's no point cost listed. Bascially all I know I actually gleam from this forum. I was thinking of filling up the 2500 with some combination of these units;

48 Spearman
20 x Sea Guard
8x High Helms
20 x Phoenix Guards
20 x Sword Masters
4 x Tiranoc Chairots
2 x Bolt throwers
2 x Giant Eagles

Strategy: Use the Spearman as the anvil. The Seaguards as archers behind said block of spearman, the Phoenic Guards or Sword Master as the hammer
The Chariots to flank, the high helms as skirmishes, Eagles to pull away units, and bolt throwers against warmachines that are bound to appear.
That said how would you fill out the rest of the 2500 pts army?

Okay, I won't fiddle with your characters as you've had plenty of advice on those. (Although I'd take the Sigil of Asuyan over Seer Staff on the LvL2)

Second, I'm biased against the Silver Helms in this edition. (Used to run 3 x 5 back in 6th. Busted my a$$ to paint them and now they're out in the garage.)

39 Spears + FC
20 LSG + FC + Banner of Eternal Flame
4 Tiranoc Chariots
19 Phoenix Guard + Banner of Sorcery
20 Swordmasters + FC
2 x Eagles

I wouldn't bother with the Bolt Throwers. I never had a list without them until 8th. But I don't miss them now. Besides, where would you find the points for them? Not your core. Not your Specials.

If your comfortable doing it, I'd move some spear models to the LSG block to balance those units out. Say 30 Spears and 25 LSG. Because of their shorter bow range, your LSG should be in the center of your line, more often than not.

Do not put your spears in horde formation. 5 wide to maximize ranks and retain "Steadfast" as long as possible. They're primarily a pinning unit. (Barring the occasional Mindrazor.)

LSG in 3 ranks until CC draws near. If you want to play it safe, just leave them 5x5. That's still 18 bow shots. 2 more are not going to be a game changer.

SM's in 3 ranks. If you felt like acquiring more models, this unit could be bigger. It's your only hammer/buzzsaw. It's going to get target priority for shooting and magic.

Chariots - Your other hammer. Having 4 gives you several deployment options. e.g. one on each flank to deter lighter flanking units with one on either side of your SM's. Charge them in pairs because alone, they're not all that. And don't charge them without an infantry block.

Eagles. Keep them behind your front line and use them to speed bump the units you don't want to fight for a turn or two while you magic them down (Pit o Shades) or you deal with other units.

That's enough advice for now.