PDA

View Full Version : Fell bats for VC

Jadawin
20-08-2011, 16:43
Hello all,

I am thinking about putting together a VC army and I wondered what opinions are of fell bats, I like any army to have some highly manouverable units but I really dont like the Dire Wolf models so I want to go with the bats, what do you guys think are they useful or not?

snottlebocket
20-08-2011, 17:00
Depends on what you plan to do with them. Their speed makes them pretty good redirectors but they're so fragile they don't even make good assassins or warmachine hunters.

They'll die if anyone sneezes at them but they're the most mobile unit you have.

Jadawin
20-08-2011, 17:30
i was thinking war machine killers, general nuisance unit really

Pyriel
20-08-2011, 17:34
great mobile elements in a VC army are in the Rares section:

Varghulfs (great points/performace ratio) and Terrorgheists(can fly and are t6 wth lots of wounds)

snottlebocket
20-08-2011, 19:13
i was thinking war machine killers, general nuisance unit really

They have the speed but warmachine crews actually stand a pretty good chance of defeating them. You have more attacks and wounds but other than that you're pretty much on equal terms with most warmachine crew and on bad terms with crew like dwarfs or elves.

Fell bats aren't that cheap, a few fluffed dice, some crumbling and you won't even have slowed the warmachine down.

rodmillard
20-08-2011, 19:38
For warmachine hunting, a hero vamp on hellsteed (or with the flying horror bloodline power) is probably a better bet. In my experience the most you can expect fell bats to do is tie the warmachine up in combat so it loses a round of shooting!

Although I have considered running the two as a combo - a flying vampire with summon creatures of the night will allow them to march and be on hand to heal them up. Then you can either combo-charge (good against dwarves, especially if they have an engineer with pistols since he will waste his stand-and-shoot on the fell bats), or split and take on 2 war machines at once.