PDA

View Full Version : Mantic zombie horde!

Gillburg
21-08-2011, 02:15
Hey there here's the start of my zombie horde.

Im going for a rotten brown look instead of the hollywood green, Tell me what you think.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/gillburg/DSCF2475.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/gillburg/DSCF2474.jpg

Im hoping to get 60 done in the next week and convert a very special sorcerer.

Keep watching.

Darsc Zacal
21-08-2011, 02:44
Looking good, but I think you need a little more colour in there somewhere to bring out a little contrast. The faded red around their mouths and the green grass isn't providing enough.

Right now the brown zombies in the brown clothing on the brown base with the brown edging... Everything just blends together a little too much.

Lord Dan
21-08-2011, 02:58
I agree with Darsc Zacal, the painting is splendid but a whole unit is going to wash out. What do you plan on using for army colors? I'd go with more of a yellow brown for their robes, perhaps bubonic or vomit brown based.

StormCrow
21-08-2011, 03:21
Might be worth considering a grey gravel style base instead of brown to help them 'pop' a little. Also when painting undead flesh I've found that introducing cooler colours works well too. For my hellpit abomination i highlighted with a mix of bleached bome and ice blue to give the skin a more corpulent appearance. Also a very very light wash of liche purple or warlock purple in the recesses can help.

That being said though I think the zombies look good so far, just a bit too brown

Gillburg
21-08-2011, 04:46
Thanks for the tips guys. My army won't have a standard popping colour just naturals.

I was thinking of giving it the grim fantasy feel i think Warhammer lacks,

Im going to do a unit of them this way to see if your right about the washout, If so i can adjust accordingly.

Thanks for the feedback guys!!

Magot
21-08-2011, 06:01
I must say that I can understand what Gillburg says.
I also think that sometimes too much of a candy shop is painted on the models.

For my Skaven units, I do something similar. Difference whit you is that I vary the color of the clothing, but certainly all of earth colors.

Graveyard Earth, Snakebite Leather, Bestial Brown, Desert Yellow, Vermin Brown, Terracotta.
And combine these with different washes, Gryphon Sepia, Orgryn Flesch and Devlon Mud. In this way not one singele models needs to have the same cloths.

Gillburg I am curious how your unit will look. I have all the confidence.
Success.

Sylass
21-08-2011, 09:11
I'd start with painting the edges of the bases black. It often works wonders. ;)
Using a darker tone of brown (or different tones) for the clothes might be worth a try too.

*edit*
Am I the only one thinking that the face of the first zombie was scuplted along the lines of Bruce Willis' facial expression (think "Die Hard")? :confused:

Lord Dan
21-08-2011, 16:38
Actually now that I look at them they both kind of look like an undead Bruce Willis...

Shaneimus Prime
21-08-2011, 17:44
" Welcome to the party pal!" Awesome zombies there Gillburg. I`d agree with them being very brown but if that realistic style is what you're aiming for then great. My mantic zombies are a little more cartoony, i think there's a pic in the community showcase thread if you're interested.

Can't wait to see the masses of zombies painted up!

Gillburg
23-08-2011, 00:04
Update ive done 60, All the same and such, as for the clothes my next 60 will have a different colour and them mix them.

This is speed painting. Less than 20 mins on each.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/gillburg/DSCF2484.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/gillburg/DSCF2485.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/gillburg/DSCF2483.jpg

Lord Dan
23-08-2011, 00:48
Good idea on the color mixing. I must admit that unit looks surprisingly dynamic and varied given how limited the Mantic sprue is. Nice work!

Gillburg
23-08-2011, 01:09
Yea Mantic made a fantastic sprue so easy to assemble but very fun to play around with.

No-One
23-08-2011, 01:43
the Bruce Willis similarity is actually quite striking, almost scary haha

back on topic: those zombies actually look really really good, they actually look the part of a shambling horde slowly marching forth to swamp their enemies and the colors on them look great, i too was kinda worried about them looking washed out or a mass blob but you've pulled the look off very well

my suggestion, maybe a light wash of chestnut ink around the bloody mouths, it will make the blood look slightly shiny, looking wet and fresh and i think it would really make them pop

Magot
23-08-2011, 08:01
absolutely wonderful

falcone
23-08-2011, 11:35
This is what Zombies should look like, not that green nonsense. I like the Earthly colors, with no brightness or contrasting colors. It's much more dark and grim this way. Though I'd like to see their clothes painting in different colors, while remaining earthly. Different browns, greens, and yellows. I look forward to seeing the next batch mixed in.

Gillburg
23-08-2011, 23:40
Thanks for the kind words, Im very much looking forward buying another box.

Do you think its a good idea to convert zombies from other races? Orcs, Ogres etc.

Magot
24-08-2011, 23:57
Thanks for the kind words, Im very much looking forward buying another box.

Do you think its a good idea to convert zombies from other races? Orcs, Ogres etc.

We do think that zombies are the result of people resurrected from their graves.
Than YES of course all the other races that populate the ancient world can be zombies. Seems only logical

Vazalaar
25-08-2011, 11:12
Great work! I think your unit reflects perfectly a zombie attack :). Very creepy!

Morglum Necksnapper
25-08-2011, 12:01
What a fantastic horde, really good!

Danny76
01-09-2011, 15:28
They look really good imho
How did you do the skin? What browns were used?

I have been wanting to do my zombies in a more realistic looking style like this than the green fantasy style.

Cheers

lorelorn
04-09-2011, 09:39
The horde look great in the group shots, nice work!