PDA

View Full Version : 2500 Tournament Dwarfs.

Malthus
21-08-2011, 05:40
Constructing a list for a local tournament in about a week. Just wanted to get some outside opinions.

Lord-------
Runelord: Anvil of Doom, Rune of Balance, Spellbreaker Rune x2
(415)

Heroes-----
Thane: BSB, Rune of Grungni
(140)

Dragon Slayer: Rune of Fury x2, Rune of Snorri Spangelhelm
(125)

Master Engineer:
(70)

Core---------
24 x Quarrelers: Command less musician, Great Weapons, 8x3 Formation
(332)
24 x Quarrelers: Command less musician, Great Weapons, 8x3 Formation
(332)

Special--------
42 x Hammerers: Command Less musician, Rune of Battle, 7 x 6 Formation
(553)
Grudge Thrower: Rune of Reloading, Rune of Burning, Rune of Accuracy
(120)
Grudge Thrower: Rune of Reloading, Rune of Penetrating, Rune of Accracy
(140)
Cannon: Rune of Burning, Rune of Forging
(130)

Rare-----------
Gyrocopter
(140)

This total leaves me 3 points short of 2500, something I hate to have but I haven't found a reasonable way around it. As of right now the main concern I have with this list is the unit of hammerers and i'm considering either splitting them into 2 units or dropping some to spend elsewhere.

Morax
22-08-2011, 19:18
Dragon Slayer: Rune of Fury x2, Rune of Snorri Spangelhelm
(125)

Master Engineer:
(70)

Not optimal at all. If this is for a tournament that is what you are looking for right?

The Engineer is redundant in this list as by taking the runes on your warmachines he will never be needed. Either drop the runes of reloading/accuracy/forging or drop the engineer.

The dragon slayer I am assuming was intended to protect the warmachines from small fast units? An organ gun will do that same job better and more effeciently. I would highly suggest swapping him out for the organ gun.

Thane: BSB, Rune of Grungni
(140)

While a BSB is almost a solid lock in any list in 8th he needs serious protection because of all the things he does for you. This is particularly the case in the dwarven list because he does it even better due to their higher base leadership. Rune of stone, rune of resistance, master rune of spite is about as resistant as you can make him. More expensive but worth it.

(415)

One of the best reasons to take a dwarven army, also one of the best things in the book imo. Problem is you haven't protected it against the largest threat to it, that would be initiative tests. Easy fix however, just take 3 runes of speed for the low low price of 15 points and it is now I6. Take that pit of shades.

(553)
Hord 'em up. The whole reason for taking them is to kill stuff, not sit there in combat. To win you will need that extra rank of troops fighting. As for them being less maneuverable, not to worry, that is what you have an anvil for right? As for breaking them up into two units, you really need atleast 30 to make them worth while. At that point you might as well just leave them be.

Malthus
22-08-2011, 23:40
I agree with the majority of what you're saying especially in the case of the runelord and bsb. I do, however, feel that for a bit less points the slayer does a much better(and more reliable) job of protecting flanks. Especially with his incredible charge range in 8th. I have since removed the rune of Snorri and replaced it with a rune of swiftness. In the case of the master engineer, unless i'm missing something, those runes on the grudge throwers still do not allow you to reroll misfire. With this they are much more reliable for a relatively low cost, although the cannon is not affected by this rule I often like to entrench it making it much more difficult for small units to kill. I'm thinking I will primarily run the hammerers in a horde, but the ability to rank up 7 x 6 is great for taking away steadfast.

some_scrub
23-08-2011, 02:47
Master Engineer:
(70)

Not optimal at all. If this is for a tournament that is what you are looking for right?

The Engineer is redundant in this list as by taking the runes on your warmachines he will never be needed. Either drop the runes of reloading/accuracy/forging or drop the engineer.

(415)

One of the best reasons to take a dwarven army, also one of the best things in the book imo. Problem is you haven't protected it against the largest threat to it, that would be initiative tests. Easy fix however, just take 3 runes of speed for the low low price of 15 points and it is now I6. Take that pit of shades.

(553)
Hord 'em up. The whole reason for taking them is to kill stuff, not sit there in combat. To win you will need that extra rank of troops fighting. As for them being less maneuverable, not to worry, that is what you have an anvil for right? As for breaking them up into two units, you really need atleast 30 to make them worth while. At that point you might as well just leave them be.

I disagree with some of this advice, but there are some things which I think are just incorrect.

The master engineer is not redundant; the grudge throwers can reroll the scatter dice, not the artillery dice. With the Master Engineer you can reroll both. Also, the Anvil is a war machine and automatically fails initiative tests, regardless of the character's initiative.

One other thing that sticks out to me is the choice of Runes of Reloading on the GTs. Since you have a master engineer, your GTs won't misfire very often. Even if they do, only 2 of the 6 results on the misfire chart for GTs are ones where the rune will make a difference. I'd cut both of them, and find some other way to save 5 points to get some more runes of penetrating.

Malthus
23-08-2011, 03:19
One other thing that sticks out to me is the choice of Runes of Reloading on the GTs. Since you have a master engineer, your GTs won't misfire very often. Even if they do, only 2 of the 6 results on the misfire chart for GTs are ones where the rune will make a difference. I'd cut both of them, and find some other way to save 5 points to get some more runes of penetrating.

I have also since decided to drop the reloading for that exact purpose and added penetrating to the second thrower.

Morax
23-08-2011, 14:10
The master engineer is not redundant; the grudge throwers can reroll the scatter dice, not the artillery dice. With the Master Engineer you can reroll both. Also, the Anvil is a war machine and automatically fails initiative tests, regardless of the character's initiative.

As I said I'd drop one or the other. Droping the runes of reloading/accuracy/forging would be a great option as it, as you say frees up points for more runes of penetrating. You would still have the master engineer around to reroll missfires or results you just don't like.

As for the Organ gun/Dragon Slayer- I gave the dragon slayer a go aswell, but with step-up he has a tendancy to die quickly in my games as my opponents regularly send a solid combat unit after my warmachines as they are a huge threat. The Organ gun on the other hand may handle that same threat, then go on to mince other units in support of nearby infantry blocks. It does cost more points but I think it's worth it.

I keep forgetting they changed the anvil to a warmachine, my apologies for the mistake. It was not my intention to mislead.

undeadgoblin
23-08-2011, 15:20
I'd drop the hammerers down to 40, they get more attacks in a 4 x 10 formation, and it saves you a couple points.

Drop the Hero Slayer, he is almost useless. You'd be far better taking 10 slayers to do his job, but being dwarves, they won't be needed as if you use castle formation, your quarrelers will protect your flanks well enough.