PDA

View Full Version : Banner of the Eternal Flame question

Fieos
21-08-2011, 14:36
I played in a tournament yesterday and I was using the 'Banner of Eternal Flame' with my Empire army. My VC opponent was adamant (in a friendly way) that the 'Banner of Eternal Flame' would grant my handgunners magical attacks against his Cairn Wraiths because it was a magical banner for the unit. We asked a few other players at the tournament (these guys go to all the big tournaments) and they all agreed that the banner does bestow magical and flaming attacks to the unit with a BSB carrying the banner.

My gaming circle has never played this way; we always assumed it just gave the unit flaming attacks. Could I get your feedback on this?

Thanks!

narrativium
21-08-2011, 14:43
Just flaming attacks. It's not a magical weapon so it doesn't bestow magical attacks.

Goldenwolf
21-08-2011, 14:52
I don't know, It is a Magical Banner, bestowing Flaming Attacks, so we have always played it as Magical flaming attacks. Perchance we could be wrong.

narrativium
21-08-2011, 14:57
There's another magical banner - a Vampire Counts one, I believe - which does bestow both flaming and magical attacks. This one only offers one of those.

Does your group also play that the Potion of Strength grants magical attacks for the duration of the Strength Bonus?

tmarichards
21-08-2011, 14:59
It does not give magical attacks. Magical attacks have to be explicitly given, like other special rules such as fly or skirmisher. There's nothing in the item description to imply magical attacks, so the attacks remain mundane. Perhaps a bit odd given that it is of course a magic banner, but there's no scope in the rules to interpret it any other way.

Another way to look at it- magic weapons are specifically noted to give magical attacks, banners are not.

Goldenwolf
21-08-2011, 15:52
Gents, I am not saying that you are incorrect, but in the BRB FAQ, it says that "all attacks by spells and magic items are considered to be magical attacks, as are all attacks that are specifically noted as being magical attacks."

Wouldn't this imply that the banner, and even the strength potion would be considered as such? I am not trying to start an argument, merely to get an insight as to why it would not be a magical attack

TMATK
21-08-2011, 16:14
The magic item is not making the attacks. If the flaming banner granted magical attacks, then the presence of any augment or hex spell would do the same.

Loopstah
21-08-2011, 17:02
The Banner of Hellfire grants magical flaming attacks.

The Banner of Eternal Flame grants flaming attacks.

Unless each model in the unit is physically hitting the enemy with the banner of eternal flame then they don't magically get magical attacks.

Would you then argue that the Razor Standard grants magical armour piercing attacks?

druchii
22-08-2011, 04:59

Unless each model in the unit is physically hitting the enemy with the banner of eternal flame then they don't magically get magical attacks.

Would you then argue that the Razor Standard grants magical armour piercing attacks?

So would the BSB or the banner bearer of the unit get magical attacks? :D

d

SkawtheFalconer
22-08-2011, 10:53

Furthermore, I don't believe flaming attacks (i.e. from Banner of Eternal Flame, braziers etc) can be magical, unless explicitly stated (like the Vamp counts banner). See Flaming attacks in BRB.

Mid'ean
22-08-2011, 10:54
Only if he was hitting the enemy in the head with the banner....:evilgrin:

Mercules
22-08-2011, 15:00
Gents, I am not saying that you are incorrect, but in the BRB FAQ, it says that "all attacks by spells and magic items are considered to be magical attacks, as are all attacks that are specifically noted as being magical attacks."

Wouldn't this imply that the banner, and even the strength potion would be considered as such? I am not trying to start an argument, merely to get an insight as to why it would not be a magical attack

Are you striking with the banner? Is the banner making an attack? The answer is no. All it does is cause attacks made by the unit to be flaming and they are not specifically noted as being magical attacks.

If the banner states, "All models in base contact with the unit take a wound at the begining of..." then that would be magical.