PDA

View Full Version : 1000pts Vampire Counts

GreenDracoBob
21-08-2011, 20:06
So I'm trying to get back into Fantasy, having ignored for a while due to the edition shift. In a couple weeks, the local store is running a tournament, and I'm looking for advice on my list.

Vampire Lord w/ Walch's Bloody Hauberk - 250

Necromancer w/ all spells, Black Periapt - 100

30 Skeleton Warriors w/ Full Command - 260

15 Grave Guard w/ Full Command - 210

Varghulf - 175

Total: 995

I realize that Skeletons are less than ideal, but I only have 10 Ghouls and lack the funds/time to get them up to a good-sized unit. Otherwise, I feel the list is self-explanatory. I'm worried that I don't have the bodies, but also that if I increase the unit sizes or amounts, I won't have the offensive power I need.

I've seen Brets, HE, Skaven and Tomb Kings around the store, but the recent Hard Boyz saw a couple of guys that never show up and a few that always do were no shows.

Loopstah
21-08-2011, 20:25
I'd be tempted to run a Vampire Hero rather than a Lord at those points. At least then you could tool them up a bit rather than leave them naked. You could also fit in the Helm of Commandment then and possibly give them Lord of the Dead to help you keep the skeletons around.

Another option would be a Vamp with the Tomb Blade and Flayed Hauberk to sit in the skeletons and grow them back that way.

GreenDracoBob
21-08-2011, 22:40
My only concern with taking a Vampire Hero is that I'd be stuck with one wizard, and that could hurt my magic phase.

Otherwise, I like the suggestion of the Tomb Blade and Flayed Hauberk. Though I'm not sure if I like not having a ward save on my general.

vinush
22-08-2011, 21:17
How would you be stuck with one wizard? You can still take a Necromancer.

THE \/ince

GreenDracoBob
24-08-2011, 00:36
Well, I mean to say that a tooled-up Vampire would mean the Necromancer would have to be less powerful for it to fit. Of course, if I'm taking a 200-point Vampire, I'm not going to have any other heroes.

I suppose what I'm saying is I don't know how the Vampire should be equipped/protected/powered-up. Got to use to last edition, where you could run half your points in Lords and Heroes with no worries, giving them maximum choices.

Loopstah
24-08-2011, 18:50
A vampire with Lord of the Dead and Helm of Commandment is only 145pts.

A vampire with the Tomb Blade and Flayed Hauberk is 150pts.

Either build could be run in 1K with your Necromancer unchanged.

GreenDracoBob
24-08-2011, 21:59
Okay, edited list. I'm still not sure about a general with only a 2+ Armor Save, but I'm glad to have some larger regiments.

Vampire w/ Tomb Blade, Flayed Hauberk - 150
Necromancer w/ All spells, Black Periapt - 100

35 Skeleton Warriors w/ Full command - 300

20 Grave Guard w/ Full command - 270

Varghulf - 175

Total: 995

Yrrdead
24-08-2011, 23:38
I would personally rather have 38 ghouls over the 35 Skellies w/FC. At this point level the banner won't be an issue ( or that much of one) and the ghouls are actually capable of winning combat.

Then just swap Tomb Blade for either ASF sword or get a little crazy and run Ghoulkin,Biting Blade, Charmed Shield, Flayed Hauberk.

Denied Flank rush with Varghulf and Ghoulkin with your exposed flank anchored by GG. Pretty potent at this point level.

eggspr
25-08-2011, 04:12
Food for thought, but I believe your Vamp Lord would be much more effective if he swapped the 25pt Tomb Blade with 25pt Infinite Hatred... Rerolling hits might bode better than a few skellies here and there... that's what your Necro is for :)

GreenDracoBob
25-08-2011, 06:09
I would personally rather have 38 ghouls over the 35 Skellies w/FC. At this point level the banner won't be an issue ( or that much of one) and the ghouls are actually capable of winning combat.

Then just swap Tomb Blade for either ASF sword or get a little crazy and run Ghoulkin,Biting Blade, Charmed Shield, Flayed Hauberk.

Denied Flank rush with Varghulf and Ghoulkin with your exposed flank anchored by GG. Pretty potent at this point level.

As I explained in the OP, I'm a little lacking in the Ghoul department, though I realize they are better. :) Maybe people will let me proxy, right? Sounds like a very interesting build for the Vampire.

I think I understand that tactic, but could you humor me and explain it?

Food for thought, but I believe your Vamp Lord would be much more effective if he swapped the 25pt Tomb Blade with 25pt Infinite Hatred... Rerolling hits might bode better than a few skellies here and there... that's what your Necro is for :)

Didn't think of that--too used to combat Vamps either as Lords or mounted. I should be able to get a couple test games in before the tournament, and I'll try that out.

Yrrdead
25-08-2011, 08:51
Uhm here is a picture that should illustrate the basic idea. This picture should be after your first movement phase. I think the units might be backwards , first time using this program. Still hopefully this gets the basic idea across.

This is pretty much my go to deployment with Vamps due to the very small amount of units and the need to keep within 12/18".

GreenDracoBob
25-08-2011, 17:59
Okay, seems I had the basic idea like I thought. Now I'll be clued into the jargon, so thank you for that. And as I said, I'd definitely try it if I had the Ghouls to make it work.