PDA

View Full Version : Starting Goblins, first 500pts list

Glenn87
21-08-2011, 20:54
Just started gobbo's this week, and came up with this 500pts list to start playing:

Goblin Big Boss (general): Great weapon, light armour, giant wolf

Night Goblin Big Boss: Great Weapon, light armour

42 Night Gobbo's: FC, Spears, shields, 2 Fanatics, netters

10 Wolf Riders: FC, shields, Spears, short bows, light armour

Exactly 500pts, what do you guys think?
I left out a wizard as it came to expensive at this point level, and seeing I only have 2 spells, my opponent will be able to dispell pretty much everything with his dispell dice anyway. (Unless I start throwing 6 dice per spell miscasting every turn).

Rogzor87
22-08-2011, 00:06
Goblins have some of the cheapest Wizards. And Night Goblins get that +1d6 mushroom dice.

I myself like the list. Your Goblin Boss on the wolf will probly die fast. And you can get a Warboss in 500pnts(to have a better goblin General). I also don't really see the point of just having light armor on a bigboss/warboss a 6+ armor won't let you save against much of anything and will probly just be removed by all the str4+/armour piercing attacks outthere.

Also Full commands are expensive in the goblin book. Take out the Champian imo(from all units) and the Musician for the Wolves. Oh and make your NG bigboss a BSB with the points you save by dropping the champians/musician.

Glenn87
22-08-2011, 14:22
aaight, thanks for the tips!
I just tend to give units full command because I've assembled them like that, but maybe I should look out more to the points (for sure with such high-cost upgrades).
Really drop the champ in the NG unit? He can accept a challenge my Big Boss doesn't want to take?

ftayl5
23-08-2011, 10:54
Hmm...

I'd advise a Shaman firstly. Magic is just so deadly in small games and the Magic Mushroom rule will give you a huge advantage.

Secondly I'd try and fit in a wolf chariot - again very deadly in this size of game.

Otherwise this is a good list.
I'd drop the bows on the Wolf Riders though, they often wont get a single kill with them over many games.

vinush
23-08-2011, 12:07
I'm not sure if this list is actually legal. You need at least 3 units for the army to be legal, and as it stands you only have 2.

THE \/ince

Rosstifer
23-08-2011, 12:13
I'm not sure if this list is actually legal. You need at least 3 units for the army to be legal, and as it stands you only have 2.

THE \/ince

I think when your just starting out, at 500 points, that's not a huge issue :p

vinush
23-08-2011, 13:28
I would say so. You still need to have a legal army regardless of size unless you're using war band rules or some other such variant. Since the OP doesn't state that this is the case, we are led to believe that his intent is to have a 500 point legal army, and wants comments/advice on the list as presented. Being an illegal army is my contribution to this. :D

THE \/ince

thesheriff
23-08-2011, 19:42
I would say so. You still need to have a legal army regardless of size unless you're using war band rules or some other such variant. Since the OP doesn't state that this is the case, we are led to believe that his intent is to have a 500 point legal army, and wants comments/advice on the list as presented. Being an illegal army is my contribution to this. :D

THE \/ince

Depends on who you play with. I wouldnt mind. But, then again, hes not in my gaming group.

Simple soloution; split the wolf riders.

thesheriff

vinush
23-08-2011, 20:37
Or the NG unit. I'd go for 2 units of 20 with banners and musicians. At 500 points having a horde unit will be over powered.

THE \/ince

thesheriff
23-08-2011, 21:03
True. Especially if he has a mage.

Prehaps go with a condensed unit, prehaps 30 big, 6x5 (or 5x6, depending on your outlook on life, or more likley, your combat situation), and a lv.2 mage. And then, a warboss for LD and the rest on wolf riders?

Glenn87
23-08-2011, 21:57
I know about the 1 character/3 units rule, but having only 2 doesn't matter.
I don't play tournaments, and I doubt anyone will have an issue at my local GW with playing against 2 units.

i know gobbo shaman's and Warbosses are reallh cheap, but needed to stick all of this into the list. I wanted 2 characters (1 for every unit) to upp their Ld a bit.
Also tought that having only 2 spells, and giving my opponent the best of 2D6 would give him enough dispell dice for all of my spells. Maybe I'll add a shaman if I up the army to 750-1000 points (maybe meaning for sure!!)

thesheriff
23-08-2011, 22:14
Mathhammer time!!!

On average, on a 2D6 roll, you will get 7 magic dice, he will get 4.

You also get an extra per casting.

You will either throw all your dice at one spell a phase (+1 for mushrooms). So, 7 dice, and the +2, so, on average, 26.5.

He throws his 4 to stop that (if you didn't irresistible) and he gets 14. Without a lv bonus most likely.

Alternatively?, you throw 4 dice at one spell, 3 at anouther. He might be able to dispel one of those, but not both.

The only situation that your shaman is not that useful is if you roll a 1 and a 6. Gives you a just over 50% success rate on one spell (straight roll off, except you roll D6+2 extra).

Overall, for 100pts, you get a really productive magic phase. Abd if he blows up, he's a goblin, so it's funny.

List wise; a lv2 shaman is aprox 100pts. A warboss is apron 80 (no kit on either). A gobbo unit, 30 big with shields, nets is 150ish. And that leaves you 120pts for wolves.