PDA

View Full Version : Attempt at Empire filth, 2.4K

TheMadMarquis
22-08-2011, 01:47
My local gaming group have decided to hold a "festival of filth" to which everyone brings the absolute nastiest list they can come up with. No special characters, but we're talking quintuple Stegadon territory here. I usually play Bretonnians or Tomb Kings, but for the occasion I thought I'd dig out my old Empire and get gunny:

Core 600
45 Halberdiers w/ Full Command, 10 Free Companies detatchment - 300
30 Flaggies - 300

Special 525
3 Mortars - 225
3 Cannons - 300

Rare 415
Rocket Battery - 115
Steam Tank - 300

Lords 548
Arch Lector w/ War Altar, Sword of Striking, Dawn Armor, Shield, VHS- 308
L4 w/Rod of Power - 240

Heroes 312
2 Engineers - 130
Warrior Priest w/ GW, Heavy Armour - 98
BSB w/ GW, Plate - 84

= 2400

The idea, fairly obviously, is to shoot the crap out of everything and then mop up anything remaining with the Stank and my hordes. For my L4 I'm considering taking either Shadow for mindrazored Flaggies, or Life for healing the tank. The problem is that I haven't played Empire in years and have no idea if this will work, although I guess that artillery, like Skaven, is just one of those things that will always make opponents grumble and mutter about point-and-click and the death of tactics.

scubasteve04
22-08-2011, 05:57
Go with Shadow. Mindrazor is very good with empire troops in general, and withering works very well alongside 3 mortars (bring most soldiers toughness down to 1 and watch the body count rack up).

BSB is illegal (can't take GW with the BSB). Give him AoMI, its a steal for 25pts and will keep him well protected. If you want a little extra killy power, give him a biting blade or sword of might.

Your War altar seems off on the points cost. A good loadout is the altar, dawn armor, a shield and VHS. This costs 283pts

Morax
22-08-2011, 15:21
List looks pretty solid, just a few points to make.

Warrior Priest w/ GW, Heavy Armour - 98
I am assuming he is going in the Halberdiers as they are the only unit he can join. Great choice but he currently has next to zero survivability. Coupled with a great weapon he will likely die before he swings or confers his hatred bonus to the unit. Either keep him cheap by giving him a shield instead of the great weapon or give him the armor of meteoric iron/armor of silvered steel. I am usually infavor of the better armor and the great weapon but at 2.4k its all about cost/benefit.

BSB w/ GW, Plate - 84
Ehh I'm not sure I'd include a BSB at this point. You have one unit that can panic and thats the halberdiers and that will be joined by a character that can make them unbreakable. Seems like a bit of a misuse of 84 points. I personally would rather spend 90 points on a scroll caddy shadow wizard. Miasma to reduce movement will give you an extra turn of shooting on a target and the scroll never goes amiss.

Wouldn't worry too much on the lore for the level 4. Life gives you a nigh unkillable steam tank and shadow solves much the same problem. The way I run my warmachine list is throw the tank and the big bad and then kill the rest of the stuff around. Biggest problem the empire has is deathstar units and the stank holds that up for the bulk of a game by itself, supported by a life wizard or two it holds it up the whole game.

calnen
22-08-2011, 18:14
BSB w/ GW, Plate - 84
Ehh I'm not sure I'd include a BSB at this point. You have one unit that can panic and thats the halberdiers and that will be joined by a character that can make them unbreakable. Seems like a bit of a misuse of 84 points.

Nooooooooooooooo.
Empire always need a BSB. If a single cannon gets sniped, pendulum'ed, pitted etc, half the others will panic if he doesnt have a BSB.

Novrain
22-08-2011, 18:25
I would split the Free company detachments (if you are set on taking it) into 2 sets of 5.

10 really is not big enough to do anything other than force overruns etc, so why bother with 10 when 5 will do? Plus you get 2 five man annoyances, rather than 1!

Morax
23-08-2011, 14:22
Nooooooooooooooo.
Empire always need a BSB. If a single cannon gets sniped, pendulum'ed, pitted etc, half the others will panic if he doesnt have a BSB.

That forces the BSB and the unit he is in to be hanging around the warmachine battery. Since that is going to have to be the huge block of halberdiers that severly limits his agressive options. It also would have over 500 point baby sitting one battery of warmachines, assuming he splits them in two to get better angles on the cannons, while leaving the other battery relatively unprotected. That is ofcourse if he is in a mission where he gets the choice of placing his units where he wants. Either a lot to hope on or a lot to relagate to anti panic for a small section of the table.

On a side note the other option to the scroll caddy would be to take a bare level 2 to guarantee that you get all of the spells that you want. For a lowly 300 points the empire has the ability to get the entirety of a lore without fail. Best not to waste this oppertunity as we are among the few with it.

TheMadMarquis
23-08-2011, 15:45
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to give both the fighting heroes shields as suggested and split the free companies.

That forces the BSB and the unit he is in to be hanging around the warmachine battery. Since that is going to have to be the huge block of halberdiers that severly limits his agressive options. It also would have over 500 point baby sitting one battery of warmachines, assuming he splits them in two to get better angles on the cannons, while leaving the other battery relatively unprotected.

That would generally be a good point, but this particular list is all about sitting back and blasting. I'm going to be facing some absolute close combat monsters - a WoC player is making a Dragon Ogre horde, the Orcs are bringing a Black Orc deathstar worth about 1000 points - so the plan is to engage in melee only if I've got no real choice. Moving up really isn't part of the plan.

Morax
23-08-2011, 16:47
I figured. No one wants to get into close combat when you are toting 7 warmachines, cuts down on targets to paste.

The dragon ogre horde would be harded to handle then the orc deathstar, but both are handled roughly the same way. Throw a steam tank in the way, ignore them, and kill the rest of the list which isn't so bad. It is for this primary reason I go with a pair of life wizards as the are almost always better at getting the tank wounds back then the death star is at killing them. The wizard's job gets easier if you cannon snipe the opposing level 4. The steam tank is the empire's one best way of handling most deathstar units and it works great.

thesheriff
23-08-2011, 22:23
If your playing watchtower, cut the flagellants down to 20. If you did this, dropped the hellstorm and dropped 85pts elsewhere, you could get a second steamtank. Which, combined with an altar, is probably the filthiest empire combo. It's like the popemovile flanked by limos!

You mentioned the combat as a last resort. Your probably gonna want some protection for your priest then. He is what is keeping your halberdiers unbreakable. Armour of meteoric iron, Dawnstone spring to mind.

Also, shield of the gorgon is awesome on a VHS Arch Lector.

I'd also suggest some lv1 wizards. There great with empire. I regularly field up to 4, two with beasts, two with life. Life to cast regen and lifeblood steamtanks, beasts to wyssans wildform stuff.

Looks gimpin' though.

thesheriff

castlesmadeofsand
23-08-2011, 22:30
If your playing watchtower, cut the flagellants down to 20.

thesheriff

then he's under the minimum core requirements.

edit: actually, with the detachment that's already under (also its 46 with FC and the detachment for 300)

thesheriff
23-08-2011, 22:49
then he's under the minimum core requirements.

edit: actually, with the detachment that's already under (also its 46 with FC and the detachment for 300)

Damn, forget how dirt cheap Empire core is.

Well, if you are playing watchtower, still cut them down. And with the points for the FC detachment, buy 19 hangunners.