PDA

View Full Version : Monster mounts and a shooting into combat

Guirgi
22-08-2011, 18:07
1. Do wounds ever go toward monster mounts (griffons, dragons, eagles, etc). From the rules, it seems that hits always go toward the rider (with the mount adding to armor save), meaning that the mount cannot be shot out from under the character. As I type this, I'm realizing that it's possible that eagles and dragons are not considered the same type of mount (sorry, don't have my book with me).

2. Normally, you cannot shoot into combat. What happens if a template weapon scatters into combat? Do you go with what's under the template? Or randomize hits?

calnen
22-08-2011, 18:16
1. You've basically answered it yourself. For smaller mounts (like eagles, gigantic spiders etc), shooting always hits the rider. For larger ridden monsters (in general, stuff with the 'large target' rule), things like arrows will randomise between the two, and templates (including cannons) will hit both.

Yrrdead
22-08-2011, 18:28
1. Pg 104-106 has all the information you are looking for.

2. What is under the template is hit. There is no randomization for any templates.

Of course having made such a statement, I will promptly be proved wrong.

Grey Seer
23-08-2011, 15:39
Yrrdead,

People argue there is an exception for the Screaming Bell (and others) as they have specific rules for randomization if hit.

I don't think that debate has been settled.

Yrrdead
23-08-2011, 18:27
While I agree with you that there is an unresolved issue with templates vs the Bell , that wasn't quite the question that I was answering.

sorberec
24-08-2011, 05:39
An important thing to note is that with certain mount types (e.g. Eagles) although hits go on the rider, the wounds value used is the highest of the combined model which in a lot of cases is the mount, so it's a sneaky way of giving your hero an extra wound

Mercules
24-08-2011, 13:06
This depends on if the mount is a Monster(Dragon) or Monstrous Beast(Eagle). If it is a Monster then it becomes a Ridden Monster with special rules for that. If it is a Monstrous Beast then it becomes Monstrous Cavalry. Ridden Monsters typically have rules in their rule books for how they handle being shot. Mon_Cav does not allow you to target one portion of the model. You use the Rider's To, highest of the mount/rider's wounds, and the Rider's armour save.